Any Routers that can accept two WAN inputs

dizy007

Inactive User
Reaction score
i have a VM 100 mb Broadband got a two super hub modem but i need to increase my bandwidth.
1. what router do i need to get?
2. is it possible to do this and how?

Thanks dizzy

Draytek 2110 should get close to that...you'll need to be close to the exchange though.

As you are on VM cable everything will have to go through your superhub used as a modem.

Most decent gigabit routers can handle more bandwidth than your cable line can supply.

The Draytek 2110 only has 10/100 ports so would actually restrict the bandwidth throughput giving you slower speeds.

You wont be able to replace your superhub as this will be tied to your account.

I use the superhub as a router and have no problems getting my full speed for downloading from the newsgroups, and when I'm transferring files between PC's or NAS on the network I'm getting 150-170mbps with bursts of over 200.

Last edited:
Can you clarify please Captin? Are you saying that the superhub (which is a b*st*rdised Netgear I believe) can handle actual throughput (WAN-LAN) in excess of 100Mbps? Or that the LAN B/W would be degraded given the SH is Gigabit and the Draytek is only 10/100?

Are you really tied to the SH - can't use third party routers?

ok, i am not replacing the super hub got a spare one all i wanted to know can i use both as a modem and connect it to a wireless router with Two input port.
if that isn't possible what router shall i get to have a better speed, security and reliable. btw got few Netgear and D link router i need something new.

@dizy007

In order to use 2 superhubs you would have to split the incoming cable signal, I don't think you can do that. Besides each of the superhubs would have their own mac address and this address would be tied to your account. So one would connect and the other would not. I may be wrong but I don't think it would be possible. However you could use 1 superhub in modem mode and use numerous gigabit routers on your network, but there is still no way of getting a faster connection.

@himher

The speed of a VM 100mb line is full 100mbps. The speed of a 10/100 baseT router doesn't come close to 100mbps on any port WAN or LAN, you get around 50mbps constant throughput. Therefore you need at least a gigabit (10/100/1000 baseT) router to handle the incoming broadband speed of 100mbps. The throughput of LAN to LAN can be higher than 100mbps, plus if they raise the broadband speed a little to say 120mbps the gigabit router would also handle that.

You can turn off the router part of the superhub and use it as a modem then connect any gigabit router.

If you used the superhub as a modem and then used a draytek (or any 10/100 baseT router) it would slow the speed down as it wouldn't be fast enough to push the 100mbps broadband through to the LAN ports.

you can run 2 modems from the same feed . but i dont know if you could get 2 x 100 meg as it might be to much for the incoming line
i had 1 50 meg and 1 20 meg vermin in my house .you will need a teaming router to combine the 2 inputs
some you get just use the second feed as a back up and max out the bandwidth on the first connection

you would need to get a modem fitted at another address or loan a freinds (mines was 1 legit 1 not so legit )
that way there is 2 macs connecting to the vermins server and both should connect ok

Whoah, lol! I can't believe you can't bung a Draytek on your feed They do a gigabit router with an option to change the MAC..

I don't understand what you mean by saying 'to increase bandwidth' ?

Bandwidth between where and where. More bandwidth from VM ? More bandwidth for internal devices ? Do you have two contracts with VM ?

And I'm not sure what you are trying to do connecting two modems to this wireless router you have will dual WAN ports ?

BTW, your 100mb should be going to 120mb at some point in time.

i think i might stick with a single modem for now just get a good router.

you can run 2 modems from the same feed . but i dont know if you could get 2 x 100 meg as it might be to much for the incoming line
i had 1 50 meg and 1 20 meg vermin in my house .you will need a teaming router to combine the 2 inputs
some you get just use the second feed as a back up and max out the bandwidth on the first connection

Sounds good, did you actually get 20meg on 1 line and 50meg on the other making 70meg total so someone could download a full 50meg and someone else download at 20meg, or did it just not work like that.

If it doesn't work to increase your speed (IE 70meg) then I don't see the point as I get full bandwidth any way, and did so on my 50meg and also on the 20meg when I was on them.

But If it meant I could have 2 PC's getting full bandwidth it would be something to consider.

Last edited:
yes you would get full speed out of each modem making 70 meg
i had them on 2 machines , one on my machine and the other in my bedroom getting 20 meg
i could dl from each at full speed and was seriouslly thinking of buying a teaming router at the time
but choice was limited and price was a factor

I know a person that had 3 modems running, he had a "dual wan netgear" that the 2 modems were plugged into (so 2 x HFC mac addresses) how ever that was a dual load balanced router/switch, what I mean by that is it was dual load *upload* and fail over download, so if he was uploading a file then both modems would upload at the same time increasing upload speed, how ever for downloading then it used either modem 1 or modem 2, of course in the event of modem failure then the other would then kick in so he was never off line with that setup.

The other modem (so modem no.3) would run on it's own network (that was linked) and that used to supply his xbox 360 (so the other 2 modems could do all the downloading without it affecting the 360)

You could by a linksys and run some thing called "road runner" on dd-wrt custom firmware and that way you could configure one of the ports on the back to be a WAN and therefore run both modems at the same, how ever that was limited to 10/100 speeds so it would be pointless now as this was back in the day when 20 meg was the dogs.......

With the 50 meg and the 100 meg+ lines now you'd have to have 2 modems running on the line, so yours and a friends at the same time, could be done if some one was willing to loan you there super hub modem (which i doubt there would) and then what ever hard ware you bought you'd have to make sure that it was capable of "dual wan + bandwidth sharing at the same time) and you'll probably find that there quite expensive bits of kit. (once you start reading the nitty gritty about them then you normaly find that they do "fail over" and "load balance" means the upload rather than the download on the cheaper bottom of the market load balanced routers/switches.)

If some one was willing to loan you there superhub and you bought a nice piece of kit that shared the "downstream" and the "upstream" then you could do it.

I'm not quite sure how he managed to have 3 modems running at the time, something I never looked into..... ;)

I have done this in the past with ADSL and cable modem for a friend and instead of using a router I set it up with Windows server with multiple NICs and proxy software. As mentioned you can only download with one connection however we did manage to aggregate the download when using newgroups as it would get a separate connection on each WAN link. At the time I think he was signed up with newshosting.com who allowed simultaneous from different IP addresses though most providers don't allow this now.

I think it should allow parallel downloads with torrents as well.

I should point out the download was on the window server, PC on the internal network could only do one connection.

Last edited:
ah yeah I forgot about that, I forgot the name of the program that "my friend" used and had had 2 x NICS and he set it up using software, (was it wingate or something like that) and then he went to "hardware" and then that's when he found the upstream/downstream, bandwidth auto fail over blah blah.....

Them were the days!

Of course he was doing it all for educational purposes..... :whistle:

yeah wingate can do it, plus there a few on linux if you are so inclined, I think we also tried it with IP Cop.

Just out of interest, why would anyone need to mess with 2 modems on a 100meg line.

You can download a full DVD in around 6 mins, music albums take seconds. :)

But not matter what speed you can download at you are still at the mercy of the system you are connecting to, to download from. And webpages are no faster on 100meg than they were on 20meg. Streaming, even full 1080p HD, doesn't need anywhere near 100meg.

Back