Any one been to portugal?

easymo3

DW Member +
Reaction score
Just going to book a last minute holiday and fancy going to portugal.

Anyone been, and any recommendations on hotels?

4 or 5 star and could do with it been within walking distance of the centre of town.

Thanks for any input,looking at going late august.

I take it you like the heat? August is mega-hot! What town do you fancy? Lively or calm/laid back? I live in Tavira, eastern Algarve. Not rowdy at all.

I take it you like the heat? August is mega-hot! What town do you fancy? Lively or calm/laid back? I live in Tavira, eastern Algarve. Not rowdy at all.

yes mate,I like it hot.

We are looking at Albufeira,taking my 11 year old and the mrs,looking for a quiteish hotel but close enough to walk into town for eating because we want to go self catering.

We definitely do not want it rowdy and if you think it will be then please say,I will take your advise since you live there.

me & our lass went on easter sunday just gone , 5 day break, first time i have been there , we went to albufeira & thoroughly enjoyed it, so much so we are looking to go back in sept, the strip is the strip like anywhere else mate tbh, pubs etc but the old town is class, we stayed in a hotel just behind the huge supermarket which was handy as a small train like bus ran past there from 9 am-midnight, 3.50 euro & that was a day ticket, off & on as many times as you like, we will be going back , will be giving the strip a miss this time ( seen one you have seen them all), like i say though the old town is class ;) & no problem with kids

With an 11 year-old in tow, Albufeira-shire is prob. best bet, plenty to keep 'em occupied. I'm about 40 miles away, so don't know of any hotels to recommend, but I would suggest giving the Hotel Aldeia a miss- it's right on the strip and it's a potential death-trap. I know people who have stayed there, gave it 0/5, it was also featured on Holidays from Hell, not good :thumbdown:.

Kings - onthebeach.co.uk

Portugal 7 Nights Self Catering – Total Price or 2 Adults including flights, luggage and ATOL Protection = £227.74 (£113.87pp)

Flights are actually with Monarch so you may save a couple of quid by booking these direct?

Flying from Luton, London on Monday 14th October 2013

The only extra you will need to add is transfers, with your hotel not a great distance from the airport these are not a costly affair and competitive shutter transfers can be found at ABC Transfers or Resort Hoppa

No offence to the earlier posters, especially @trevortron I've only got experience of the Western Algarve (PDR, Lagos, Alvor etc) but Albufeira was too much like Blackpool for me, not the 'real' Algarve.
No offence meant chaps, each to his own....................
HH.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a timeshare in Vilamoura, love the place, it's not far down the road from Albufeira, been across a few times, as others gave said typical seaside strip. Vilamoura us a little expensive due to its marina and the clientele passing through it, but great for people watching. We always fly with monarch, no one can get near them price wise to there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Vilamoura, Alvor, Lagos...all beautiful places to spend a holiday.

Albufeira? Give me Skeggy any day of the week.

No offence to the earlier posters, especially @trevortron I've only got experience of the Western Algarve (PDR, Lagos, Alvor etc) but Albufeira was too much like Blackpool for me, not the 'real' Algarve.
No offence meant chaps, each to his own....................
HH.

Couldn't agree more, no offence taken. But the 'real' Algarve might stretch the patience of an 11 yo (and hence the parents')... horses for courses etc. Had you ventured east of Faro you'd have seen even more 'unspoilt' Algarve. Not everyone's cup of tea but I wouldn't swap it for the world :)

I was in Albuferia and lagos last year. Lagos wins it by a country mile, Although I still enjoyed Albuferia as Stevejay says the strip is a bit rowdy and is just like any other bar strip tbh

lagos and west coast wins from a surfing point of view ( gets some epic waves) and some great places to chill out

vilamoura was like a manmade concrete resort with a posh(expensive) marina and good golf course

Albuferia is ok(ish) but beware at the market for timeshare bandits and pickpockets.and the odd few trying to forcefully pedal some coke, hashish and brown on you (obviously my bald head attracted them lol)... even though i had the 8 yr old step daughter hanging onto me.

but try it and see - you may have a different experience

regards
jase

Back