any laptop guys here

i-zombie

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
lo i just been given an old lappy--thing is it doesnt fire up or anything-absolutly no sign of life

its a dell latitude cpi d233st-ive tried a few methods ive seen in here-ie trying to power it just on mains removing battery--removing hd ect

is there anything i can do/try to get this thing running or is it for the bin?

hi m8, have you tried a multi meter to test the power supply unit to make sure its working?, if its not working try another power adapter of similar voltage and polarity. just with you saying you,ve tried the power supply and still no signs of life. might just be power adapter. hope this helps you. jon

lol the power supply better be working it took me ages to get the right one-n the little light comes on-and i got it new

hi is the ram in properly as this will stop it turning on take it out and check it.
let me know how you get on.

Castle

ok now im gunna seem thick-but wheres the ram on a lappy-there is a spot underneath where i can remove a cover and it looks like something lives there but there aint owt in it

lol now i do feel daft-
so if i can get hold of ram for this thing is it likely to work
meh sod it ill give it a go anyway-ive always wanted a lappy but i aint got lappy money

any 1 any ideas on how much ram for these costs-best ive seen is 39 quid for 64mb is that right--it seems bloody steeep to me

no idea how much it costs but sometimes the speed matters you will have to check on the makers website to check you get the right speed

Castle

lol now i do feel daft-
so if i can get hold of ram for this thing is it likely to work
meh sod it ill give it a go anyway-ive always wanted a lappy but i aint got lappy money

any 1 any ideas on how much ram for these costs-best ive seen is 39 quid for 64mb is that right--it seems bloody steeep to me

I seem to recall there was some lappy memory going for sale in the forum here...quite cheap too. See if I can find the link as it's still for sale far as I'm aware.

http://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/forums/99728-laptop_memory_4_sale.html

Last edited:
ok now im gunna seem thick-but wheres the ram on a lappy-there is a spot underneath where i can remove a cover and it looks like something lives there but there aint owt in it

I have had laptops in the past where the memory location was hidden and built in under the casing and the only way you could get into it was strip it down. Also in some of them the memory compartment was just for additional ram.

Anyway you could get dell memory from here.

DELL LATITUDE CPI (D233ST) - MEMORY ( RAM ) UPGRADE FROM ORCA LOGIC LTD
Dell Memory - Upgrade the memory of your system to improve performance. Extra RAM memory will let you run more applications simultaneously and at greater speed

Hi, from what I remember the cpi only takes 16-32-64 and 128-MB 3.3-V EDO SODIMM's, but if you have the later BIOS only uses 128-MB SODIMM's. They should be cheap enough as it's an old P2 machine!

i wouldnt recommend getting ram for it yet, until you know you've got a working lappy m8, 1st try the power supply with a multi meter, if thats ok take the battery out of lappy and while power supply is on test that power is getting to the battery power terminals (inside where the battery sits, not on the battery) if it is, suspect the cpu, shouldnt be a ram prob as the machine should show signs of life and possibly beep at you more than once but if the cpu is fried or missing then you may not get anything,.

if you know and can trust where you got it from ie a m8 who wont stich you up then assume its faulty

if you found in a skip or sometimes on ebay ie no history suspect missing parts,

2nd if all else fails they make good paperweights or even doorstops,

pm me if you think i can help any further m8, i like to get my teeth into a nice pc prob :):drink:

Back