Dell laptop inspiron N7110 BIOS locked

dsblue18

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi, I have a problem with my BIOS, it's locked i can't access it. When i go onto the BIOS i'm given a box to enter the password, and below is a hint code, which is a sign of failing the password entry few times.

I have tried discussing with Dell, and they can only offer replacing the motherboard, because nothing else worked. Which i do not want to do. I tried looking through your forums for topics that contains my problem and other users who have N7110 laptop, but no hope. I also tried the random generator password thing, but i wasn't clear on how to use it so i just typed in my serial number, and got 3 numbers the none of them worked, the last one was too long so i doubt it would of fit or worked. And about removing the CMOS i don't think that will work, because 2 people from Dell said it wouldn't. I'm not sure but what ever.

I've noticed the tab called "Downloads" that you have a BIOS password remover. I haven't got it because, i'm new here and the 5 post rule thang, and being a member for 24 hours.

So, yeah that's pretty much it also if you wan't proof then i have a receipt that will satisfy you. :Cute:

why don't you want dell to replace the motherboard ? I take it this is a free replacement !

if you don't believe the people from Dell then try removing the CMOS battery.

As for 24-hour rule, its there to stop people leaching, just like yourself. And really its not that hard to make 5 useful posts.

Dont know if links are allowed to be posted forgive if not but you can try this place for an removal of the bios password techspot.com/community/topics/dell-bios-password-removal.18780

Edogg, it costs money to replace the motherboard, which i do not wan't to spend money on, but if the time comes and i got no other option i wouldn't mind doing it.

Oneman i do understand that rule, i was only just saying, plus when the time comes i'll try and remove the CMOS. I am pretty much gathering information on what to do if there's a problem that involves my BIOS, and if so then i can come back here and look through the useful information.

Sorry for not including this but does the BIOS password remover work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for not including this but does the BIOS password remover work?
Yes, but only on older laptops. Anything newer than about 3.5 years is unlikely to work with the free calculators.

Edogg, it costs money to replace the motherboard, which i do not wan't to spend money on, but if the time comes and i got no other option i wouldn't mind doing it.

Oneman i do understand that rule, i was only just saying, plus when the time comes i'll try and remove the CMOS. I am pretty much gathering information on what to do if there's a problem that involves my BIOS, and if so then i can come back here and look through the useful information.
If you are the the original owner and Dell are saying it needs a new motherboard to fix, it probably is going to need a new motherboard to fix

As it's not a free replacement you'll have to weigh up the cost of a new laptop vs the new motherboard from Dell vs the inconvenience of not being able to access the BIOS (assuming that is the only problem).

Hi little_pob

Thank you for the reply. I was wondering if you know or anyone here, know a thing called Hiren BootCD 15.2? I was browsing around on youtube and, I encountered it. It seems to be useful and not only that it had some BIOS tricks with it, wondering if you or anyone has used it and maybe had some positive feedback from it?

Hi little_pob

That's good to hear, if that's true then i might as well get another different copy of it then. What would the chances be of removing or revealing the BIOS password on my sort of laptop?

===

Using Hiren BootCD 15.2

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi little_pob

That's good to hear, if that's true then i might as well get another different copy of it then. What would the chances be of removing or revealing the BIOS password on my sort of laptop?
It'll depend on what has gone wrong. It seems that on occation some Dell laptops decide a BIOS password has been set - or at least "forget" that it's been turned off.

If this is a simple glitch in the CMOS, the password generators should work. However, if you are the original owner, Dell should have been able to provide you with the password. If you do rescue it this way, I'd suggest reflashing the BIOS at a minimum.

If it is caused by physical damage, the password generator isn't going to work. This might be why Dell are suggesting a new motherboard.

It'll depend on what has gone wrong. It seems that on occation some Dell laptops decide a BIOS password has been set - or at least "forget" that it's been turned off.

If this is a simple glitch in the CMOS, the password generators should work. However, if you are the original owner, Dell should have been able to provide you with the password. If you do rescue it this way, I'd suggest reflashing the BIOS at a minimum.

If it is caused by physical damage, the password generator isn't going to work. This might be why Dell are suggesting a new motherboard.

Well, I think it's a password that been set on it, I can't remember if i done it or not. I have a habit of forgetting thing's, but the looks of it i think it was. I didn't include this bit of info because i wasn't sure, so apologies on taking this conversation somewhere else, if it has.

Does Hiren BootCD 15.2 have any negative outcomes? When playing with the BIOS.

Could you explain what you mean't about reflash with a dumped then edit BIOS?? Sorry i'm no genuis with this sort

Could you explain what you mean't about reflash with a dumped then edit BIOS?? Sorry i'm no genuis with this sort
It's possible to take an image of an installed BIOS (dump), edit it with a hex editor, and then install (flash) the edited BIOS.

This is usually done to unlock features found on more expensive motherboards that share the same chipset, or OEM motherboards based on commercial ones.

I did have a quick google as to whether it would be possible to dump the BIOS to discover the password. The only mention on the first couple of pages is a fix for Toshiba laptops. So I'm assuming the password usually is stored in part of the CMOS not read by the program that dumps the BIOS.

Back