Any Implications from this?

willin

DW Regular
Reaction score
Regarding tax liability/DWP etc.

A family member has been a carer for her mother and now father for a few years now (possibly because the DWP were giving her greif), her mother died 5 months ago, she has persuaded him to move in with her and sell his house, he’s 84 and he is paying for an extension to her house apparently for him to live in. He has gave her the money for this (20-30 k).

Her and her husband are on benefits and have been for years, none of my business really but I think he has been took advantage of, I’m NOT going to report anything. Lots more but I don’t want to go into detail. Any implications?

For the record I think they are a pair of horrible scheming Bast**ds.

If they're earning under a certain threshold, then they can claim benefits regardless. Carers allowance wouldn't be that much in £ per week or month. So it's unlikely they're earning over 16k a year to have to have benefits removed. (I think that's the figure).

I presume the house is not mortgaged, as you've stated their house and an extension, otherwise how would they pay the mortgage on benefits. Again, you can have a certain amount of savings before your benefits are lowered/removed.

I actually think it's quite admirable to take in her 84 year old father rather than put him in residential care. I know for a fact that none of my children would go that far for me.
Obviously I don't know anything about other things that have gone on.

I actually think it's quite admirable to take in her 84 year old father rather than put him in residential care. I know for a fact that none of my children would go that far for me.
Obviously I don't know anything about other things that have gone on.
Oh yes without a doubt, I just feel nothing they do is genuine, he was very happy to live on his own when his wife died he actually told me so, but I think he has had his head turned as they say - for their benefit.
As I said non of my business really, BTW I don't think he would have to go into care.

Thanks for the replies.

Care homes are horrible places. I used to work for a local housing association, and I'd go to the dementia homes. I hated every second of it, their quality of life is nothing. People are lovely (Some) looking after them, but it's just a degrading way to live.

@chookey - Always a bedroom for you in my house mate. Don't worry about your kids sticking you in a home, come retire in Wales.

Back