Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Any free newsgroups?

TheWakeUpCall

Inactive User
Heya,

I have heard people talking about newsgroups on here and would like to try one since I think my ISP blocks torrent downloads. However I cannot afford to pay for one, so do free ones exist or are they strictly pay only? If you know of any could you plz tell me, thanks in advance.

btw, you will have to PM the link coz it is against rules to post direct links to stuff like this.

newsgroups

free newsgroups that are aany good only come as a time limited offer.ie only couple of days.the only way im afraid is to get an account,cheapest is about £4 a month for about 25gb download.

cool thanks for replys. I might be able to stretch to £4 a month. How exactly do they work though? Where are the files stored to download from?

Its a little complicated if you've never used them before but basicly your own isp will probably have a time limit of 15 days a news server will give you something like 60 days what this means is that if you go to a site that hosts nzb files if you download a file that is older than 15 days your isp wont let you download it there are lots of sites that host nzb files just google it and pick something fairly new and download it with your isp and see how you get on An nzb is just a small file that links to a place where the file i.e film is stored hope this makes sense

So the files are actually hosted on a server? Which you download from? Like rapidshare?

Also I just found out that Tiscali do a news server, so I went on it using alt.binz, and it seems to be missing loads of newsgroups? There are no groups on there. I search for a file using something like binsearch, for example i searched shrek. Shrek 3 came up, and i tried to download but i got an error saying it could not find.

What am I doing wrong, or does Tiscali offer a different service to Ngroups?

Last edited:
Is there anywhere I can get a free trial of a newsgroup? Where i dont have to enter any personal details such as a credit card?

Yes thats possible , i'll pm you the details just in case its against forum rules to post the url here.It only a two week trial but at least you'll be able to give it a try.

I have been using Usenet-News which let me buy a 'block' of 100GB for $24 approx £12, I used the service as I didnt want to pay for a regular sub, I must say the service has been 100% rock solid, used in combination with a Newsbin account & Grabbit, I am now down to my last 2GB lol

Lifetime Block download accounts
Block size
Cost/block
(Payable in USD, EUR or GBP)
2 GB $ 2.00 1.00 USD/GB
5 GB $ 3.00 0.60 USD/GB
10 GB $ 5.00 0.50 USD/GB
20 GB $ 8.00 0.40 USD/GB -New lower price!
30 GB $ 10.00 0.33 USD/GB -New lower price!
50 GB $ 15.00 0.30 USD/GB -New lower price!
100 GB $ 24.00 0.24 USD/GB -New lower price!
200 GB $ 46.00 0.23 USD/GB -New lower price!
300 GB $ 66.00 0.22 USD/GB -New lower price!

Does anyone have any experience of astraweb?

http://www.news.astraweb.com/plans.html

I found they do an unlimited account for $39 for 3 months accesss, the retention is a little 'weaker' than some but wat to see if others have used them.

Back