ANOTHER virgin rant

jamesyboyjim

Inactive User
Reaction score
well, as a few of you know i ordered broadband and a phoneline from them a few weeks back, the internet i couldnt be happier with, i get a decent 5.9mb/s download but the phoneline was supposed to have my number ported from sky across to virgin

the engineer attempted the port but told me sky were not allowing anymore ports until the 11th so it would happen automatically then, in the meantime i got a letter from sky saying this was going to happen but its now the 14th and the virgin line is still dead and the skyline is alive and well, just got off the phone to customer services who told me the port has already happened and there must be a fault on the line, to which i replied how do you work that out as im talking you from the skyline and the number is still active on it, its obvious that the port for whatever reason didnt go through. but of course he works for virgin so he knows best so i now have to wait in saturday morning for an engineer to come and 'fix the loose wire' on the line ARGHHHH :Angryfire:Angryfire

out of interest what speed do you get on a speedtest.net test? on any uk server i am on 50mb but lucky if i get 30mb in test sometimes on usenet i get to about 44mb but again average around 30-35?

Well I am disappointed with the content of this thread... not what I expected! ;)

Lol sorry to disappoint! ;)

I get just over 50mb 9times out of ten which I think even the installer when he tested it was a bit surprised so im dead pleased with the Internet it's just the phoneline!

If the engineer piddles with the cable on Saturday and buggers my Internet I'll be fuming lol

Im well happy with my virmin download speeds,but upload is pure fooking sad,just about the whole of the country has the 5mb up speed,im still pissing about on 1.5..it sucks big style

out of interest what speed do you get on a speedtest.net test? on any uk server i am on 50mb but lucky if i get 30mb in test sometimes on usenet i get to about 44mb but again average around 30-35?

Have you optimised your OS for the high speeds ?

The engineer is supposed to run TCPOptimizer when he installs but sometimes they either dont bother or other pc's get used which havent got the correct hi-speed settings.

The program basically adjusts your tcp buffers to enable the high speed data transfer to run correctly without stalling. Most M$ based OS's struggle to cope without this buffer adjustment.

.... but its now the 14th and the virgin line is still dead and the skyline is alive and well, just got off the phone to customer services who told me the port has already happened and there must be a fault on the line, to which i replied how do you work that out as im talking you from the skyline and the number is still active on it, its obvious that the port for whatever reason didnt go through. but of course he works for virgin so he knows best so i now have to wait in saturday morning for an engineer to come and 'fix the loose wire' on the line ARGHHHH :Angryfire:Angryfire

That actually sounds more like Sky not relinquishing the number (lots of people have problems porting numbers from sky) but the VM bods really should know what the problem is. Unfortunately the crib-sheet for their first line helpdesk is woefully inadequate. If your problem doesn't fall into one of a dozen possibilites they nearly always resort to an engineer callout.

number porting has changed since i worked with virmin. however the virmin line should not be dead, it should have a temp number on it and be working.

They did say originally that it was sky not allowing the port until the 11th but when even sky sent a letter saying it was happening I thought it was a done deal.

Interesting that you say the Virgin line should still be working as the engineer showed me the line was live with his test phone thing, but all I get on it is a crackle, maybe there is a fault I'm fooked if I know lol

Back