Another Medical Question.

witchy

Banned for good!
Reaction score
My 20 year old Daughter has been diagnosed with Tonsillitis.

Doc has put her on 3000mg of Amoxicillin a day.

Isn't that a bit much considering I have had Tonsillitis for the past 3 weeks and was only given 750mg of Penicillin V per day.

I should add that my course of antibiotics did fook all and my throat is still slightly sore and I still have swollen glands 3 weeks after onset.

I was given..
750mg / Day.

She was given..
3000mg / Day.

Bastards.

Why is she even getting antibiotics?
It's more than likely that she caught it from me, which means it must be viral, and antibiotics don't work on viruses.

Last edited:
mybe u got less as u do most of ur gabbing on a keyboard:proud:

So does she, and if she's not doing it on her keyboard she's doing it on her iPhone! :)

Checking the BNF in front of me, both are valid doses for severe infections.

Your tonsillitis may have been resistant to penicillin. Go back to your GP if the first course of antibiotics didn't clear it up.

She could catch a bacterial infection from you, bacteria are contagious as well as viruses. I assume it's bacterial as the doctor has given her an antibiotic.

Penicillin and amoxycillin are two different antibiotics so the dosage would be different. It appears that penicillin is one third or less of the dosage of amoxycillin and is twice to four times daily while the amoyxcillin is once daily. Here you go:

Penicillin VK vs. Amoxicillin (Amoxil)

* Streptococcal pharyngitis
Once-daily amoxicillin is at least as effective as twice-daily penicillin V for the treatment of streptococcal pharyngitis in children10

Randomised non-inferiority trial10 was conducted to test the non-inferiority of once-daily oral amoxicillin to the recommended twice-daily oral penicillin V in streptococcal pharyngitis. 353 children with positive throat swabs for GABHS were randomised to amoxicillin 1500 mg once-daily (n=177) or penicillin V (n=176) 500mg twice-daily for 10 days. Eradication of GABHS was determined with follow-up throat cultures on days 3-6, 12-16 and 26-36. Treatment failures (including relapses) occurred at each visit in 5.8%, 12.7% and 10.7% of amoxicillin recipients and 6.2%, 11.9% and 11.3% of penicillin V recipients respectively. No significant differences in resolution of symptoms were noted between treatment groups. In this adequately-powered study, once-daily oral amoxicillin is not inferior to twice-daily penicillin V for the treatment and eradication of GABHS in children with pharyngitis.

Penicillin and amoxycillin are two different antibiotics so the dosage would be different. It appears that penicillin is one third or less of the dosage of amoxycillin and is twice to four times daily while the amoyxcillin is once daily. Here you go:

What? :err:

lol

lol they are different drugs so you get a stronger dosage of amoxycillin than penicillin. The doctor didn't make a mistake. :)

amox is three time a day dosage and peni is four times a day dose.

both antibiotics but different drugs if you know what I mean.

the allowed dose for adult of peni V is 1g every 6 hours in severe infections.
checked this on the BNF here at the pharmacy

Last edited:
So Penicillin is more effective weight for weight than Amoxicillin?

I read it wrong, I thought you meant that Amoxicillin was twice as potent as Penicillin, but its the other way around. :)

Looks like Ill be on the phone to them again, my glands are still swollen and my throat is still sore - although nowhere near as bad as it was.

My 20 year old Daughter has been diagnosed with Tonsillitis.

Doc has put her on 3000mg of Amoxicillin a day.

Isn't that a bit much considering I have had Tonsillitis for the past 3 weeks and was only given 750mg of Penicillin V per day.

I should add that my course of antibiotics did fook all and my throat is still slightly sore and I still have swollen glands 3 weeks after onset.

I was given..
750mg / Day.

She was given..
3000mg / Day.

Bastards.

Why is she even getting antibiotics?
It's more than likely that she caught it from me, which means it must be viral, and antibiotics don't work on viruses.

She was given..
3000mg / Day.
sounds a bit high to me m8 sure she not got it wrong, just been on same tablet myself 1 at 3 times a day tablets was 500mg each total 1,500.

I doubt whether any of the tablets used for tonsilitus actually work to be fair. I'm 17 and have had it at least 3 times a year since I was a toddler each time i'm given a course of antibiotics and it comes back a few months later.

I was told a few years ago they won't take my tonsils out due to a risk of mortality!?!?!?

I doubt whether any of the tablets used for tonsilitus actually work to be fair. I'm 17 and have had it at least 3 times a year since I was a toddler each time i'm given a course of antibiotics and it comes back a few months later.

I was told a few years ago they won't take my tonsils out due to a risk of mortality!?!?!?

Next time you get it, give me a shout, I will come round and give you a nice protein injection. It works for all throat problems, just ask witchy ;)

am 37 and got them out 4 weeks ago, u have to insist to ur doc to refer u to ENT clinic. my argument was that if i keep pumping in antibiotics everytime i get a dose of tonsilitis does that not get worse for me?

your gp can advise, however u can insist on a referal!

Next time you get it, give me a shout, I will come round and give you a nice protein injection. It works for all throat problems, just ask witchy ;)

bugger off im closer than u so im first in the que to inject her. :proud:

Thanks aud, i have a couple of uniforms already, don't need a nurse's one.

Eva please tell us more, what other uniforms you got then? :Clap:

Back