after a cctv camera

dilly1066

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hiya, trying to do a friend a favour, i need a decent cctv camera that has night vision, its going to be in a bacj garden looking down the side of the house, so more than likely be a out side light on most of the time, nothing special just a outside light with a energy saving light bulb init, i would say needs to be a 20 meter night vision one, he wants it to be pretty good and be able to make faces out on it, not sure if this can be doen for his price range which is around 150 pounds, if its possible cheaper then that be ok to lol, better if it can be colour, anyone got any reccomendations ? thanks

Does he just need the camera ? what is he going to view/record it on ?

150 quid will buy him a very good colour/mono infrared camera, Although the quality of camera is important if he wants facial recognition the lens will be the deciding factor. The most common mistake made by end users is trying to catch to much information with one camera. If say he wants a good overall shot taking in a much of the area as possible then a standard 3.8mm lens will do, but unless your subject walks extremly close to the camera you will not get facial recognition. You have even less chance at night when the camera is using its IR function. If its a tight area he wants to cover and the subject will have to pass withing a certain range of the camera then you would choose a lens mayby between 8 and 10 mm. If you can get me the approx distance I can tell you what lens to choose.

Last edited:
ahhh sorry my mistake :blushing: I see the picures and automaticly though it inc cameras

last reply was from the phone lol. sabout 2 weeks ago, a few friends called for a 'quiet drink' at about 11PM, ended up doing in a slab of fosters, a litre of vodka and a slab of red bull, somewhere along the lines, people ended up streaking down the road and back, a neighbour said to my m8s missus that she could kick him in the spuds and he wouldnt feel it. she kicked him that hard, his wallet flew out of his back pocket, and bounced off the wall 8 feet behind him, he lifted about 9 inches into the air, and collapsed into a heap, then she kicked him from behind. about 15 mins later when he could speak again, he said he didnt think she could kick that hard lol

someone else who arrived with long hair, went home with a very bad crewcut, done by 2 drunk girls who took it in turns to pin him down while the other used crayola scissors to do the deed

was a random night :)

lol

this wasnt a party, it was 11pm, and heard a friend on the radio, so asked him if he had any pop to go with the vodka, he arrived with half a can of fanta lmao

Does he just need the camera ? what is he going to view/record it on ?

hes got a couple of cctv monitors, one of them is not in use at the moment so he would be using that, not sure about recording at the moment, main thing he wants first is the camera and then maybe look into recording unless camera etc is cheaper than we thought then the bit saved could get something with it,

150 quid will buy him a very good colour/mono infrared camera, Although the quality of camera is important if he wants facial recognition the lens will be the deciding factor. The most common mistake made by end users is trying to catch to much information with one camera. If say he wants a good overall shot taking in a much of the area as possible then a standard 3.8mm lens will do, but unless your subject walks extremly close to the camera you will not get facial recognition. You have even less chance at night when the camera is using its IR function. If its a tight area he wants to cover and the subject will have to pass withing a certain range of the camera then you would choose a lens mayby between 8 and 10 mm. If you can get me the approx distance I can tell you what lens to choose.

i think the furthest distance it will be is about 25 metres, and the closest someone would get to the camera is around 3 to 5 metres, its mainly to see people coming round the back of the house, next door neighbour has had a extension built and its blocked alot of his viewing ability and made it alot darker than it was, hes already got 2 cameras on the front part, one of them is a moving dome camera and its brilliant, thanks

can now do with 2 similar spec cameras for £200 delivered if anyone interested, both cameras are new, colour in the day, and IR illuminated in the night for use in pitch black darkness

I have got 4 cctv cameras installed just under the guttering on the four corners of the house which are great for monitoring the house. What I would like is possibly one ptz cctv camera that I could install into the system in the porch which is good enough for facial recognition. Can anyone recommend one? Thanks.

If its just for the porch you dont need PTZ m8 do you just want facial recognition when someone is at the front door. What recorder do you use does it take IP cameras.

The cctv cameras I have at the moment are all connected togather with an ethernet cable to a 4 channel DVR recorder. When I first had the system installed we didn't really think it through properly but now that I have cctv system its proved to be quite useful; so thought having one at the door would be good to see who is knocking at your front door.

Hi m8 when you say connected by ethernet cable I take it the cams are IP. Can you post the model number of your recorder if possible.

Back