Installing cctv power supply outside

kegnkiwi

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I just bought a Ip66 rates wifi cctv camera with pan and till that connects over the net and has two way chat. 'm I just thinking now how to install all the wiring out side so I have no cables coming in through the windows ect. My first thought is that I will use an existing wiring that goes to the outside light. Remove the outside light and take the wiring into a junction box of some type. Split the wiring in a junction box and feed back down to the security light and then have a spare 240v in the box. Problem is the camera has a 12v power supply which is a uk plug to 12v lead. My first thoughts where make a small patch lead from the 240v that i split in the box to a weatherproof plug and plug the 12v into this inside the junction box. On checking the plug and 12v power supply are approx 75mm deep. A quick check around shows boxes of that depth are nearly 160mm x 160mm. I am not sure if that will be too big and ugly.

The other option i have is take a couple of 6v batteries i have keeping solar charged and as they are linked to gether to make 12v just run a low voltage cable to the camera running the wire from inside a car port.

Any ideas on the best way to go. I don't really want to run the power cable from inside the house.

Back