Advice - Want a suspension mountain bike

bilabonic

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Al

Live in Sunny wales not far from Afan Argoed with loads trails etc but not got a mountain bike. I have a Hybrid and road bike.

Fully clued up on road bikes, got a felt with full Dura Ace, spd's and loads gear.

NOT got a clue with regards mountain bikes though.......

I want to ditch the Cannondale hybrid and get a decent full suspension mountain bike.

Looking to spend around £1500 or slightly more for something decent.

Anyone recommend anything to get me going, with my road bike it's al about weight/carbon fibre etc but to much for me to take in with MTB as suspension/forks/brands/gearing/weights/sizes etc.

My only local shop is Tredz which mainly do Trek.

Cheers

Hey mate,

Well you will get summat decient for that sort of money. Im sure you know it really depends on choice when it comes to buying a bike just the same as a car.

I have just purchased a Specialized hybrid bike because i like the brand and already have a full suspension mountain bike. Trek are in the same league and you will get around the same spec.

All the bike stores are getting the new modles 2011 in at the moment so if you could find a store that had some 2010 models still in stock you mite get a nice discount or better spec for the money your spending.

Ray

hi mate this an orange have a look

The North West Mountain Bike Centre Ltd - Online Bike Shop | Orange Orange Five Frame Maxle
FIVES09.jpg

If you are planning to do some trail riding a short travel fork will be sufficient.

Brands to look out for are Rock Shox and Fox, for fork and shock hardware.

Chainset hardware I am a fan of SRAM X9 or X0. However Shimano XT or XTR you will not go wrong with either :)

must admit i tried x5 and x9 sram and it is far superior to shimano in terms of slick gear changes

shimano is so clunky - currently got deore chainset - gone from sram on my garry fisher to shimano

only prob with sram is the dérailleur is pretty soft and they bend easily
also sram chains are pants

i got this atm

http://fisherbikes.com/bike/model/marlin-disc

cost £485 from evans - i chose it without discs

Last edited:
must admit i tried x5 and x9 sram and it is far superior to shimano in terms of slick gear changes

shimano is so clunky - currently got deore chainset - gone from sram on my garry fisher to shimano

only prob with sram is the dérailleur is pretty soft and they bend easily
also sram chains are pants

i got this atm

Marlin Disc | Gary Fisher Bicycles

cost £485 from evans - i chose it without discs

OEM Dérailleur is soft as it has a composite back plate aftermarket ones have any ally back plate.
I have never had any issues with the chains though.

Well i had a bike peeps. Went for a Spesh Epic FSR Carbon Comp. It is awesome, once the 'brain' is set up it does all the adjustment for you and it looks good. I had the 2010 model.

Been up Argoed today in the rain and done 'The Wall'. Awesome fun !!!!

Struggled a bit on the uphill at the start but loved the downhilkl sections. Esp the zig zag at the end..

:Clap:

Back