iPhone Advice required for Jailbreak & Unlock please :)

Hi Kryton,

The link to the website works but the link on that website to download redsn0w goes to an unavailable page :(

any ideas?

Thanks

Pete

cheers kryton, i forgot to mention i had to refresh the page a few times

This is doing my head in now :(

I downloaded the latest link Kryton, got the iphone into DFU mode and selected install Cydia and ipad baseband,

The programme started by saying it was jailbreaking then downloading the baseband files then carried on doing the update until finished and the phone rebooted.

I can't find where the hell its put Cydia to complete the next stage, i have looked everywhere for it but no luck.

Does anybody have any idea before i feed the phone to my hungry dog :)

Thanks

Pete

if its not there check that your baseband has been updated
if it has run redsn0w again but this time just choose install cydia

Just put the phone on itunes and itunes still recognises it as an iphone even though it should have been updated to the Ipad baseband and be showing as an Ipad, I have tried updating a couple of times with redsn0w and always the same outcome, not sure what to do now as it seems for some reason the updates are not being done???

itunes will see it as an iphone.
but when it goes to verify any future updates the baseband will be wrong and you will get an error
to check your baseband goto settings / general /about and look at the modem firmware version

I managed to get the baseband loaded, i think the problem was the version of itunes i had, updated to the latest version and tried again, ipad basband loaded but Cydia failed to load properly for some reason and won't allow me to access the site, going to try and re-install cydia via redsn0w see if it works.

I managed to get the baseband loaded, i think the problem was the version of itunes i had, updated to the latest version and tried again, ipad basband loaded but Cydia failed to load properly for some reason and won't allow me to access the site, going to try and re-install cydia via redsn0w see if it works.

when you say cydia failed to load do you mean the cydia app was on the phone but wouldnt open?
try rebooting if thats the case

Yes Kryton, the icon for Cydia is there but the icon has no picture,its just a white square with the Cydia name, i have rebooted the phone and tried to install Cydia again but no luck so far.

Yes Kryton, the icon for Cydia is there but the icon has no picture,its just a white square with the Cydia name, i have rebooted the phone and tried to install Cydia again but no luck so far.

hmmm
run redsn0w again and in the options just tick "just boot tethered right now"
im was certain redsn0w was untethered for that version.
the phone wont normaly boot up if the jailbreak is tethered
try the above and let me know

Last edited:
Tried that, still the same, the phone is loading up, showing fw 6.15 & version 4.2.1

Safari tries to start but fails, the other icons such as you tube, weather, stocks ect manage to load and use the web.

maybe try again after some sleep, any ideas where to go from here would be most welcome.

Thanks

Pete.

i had a look on google and it seems to be a bug with redsn0w and 4.2.1 although i cant remember having any issues.
thats why i said try the tethered boot according to this: How to Fix That Pesky White Cydia Icon After Jailbreaking With RedSn0w

its been a long time since ive used redsn0w.
its not a big worry, you will get there and all i can suggest is use sn0wbreeze now or another version of redsn0w for 4.2.1
sn0wbreeze for 4.2.1 will work for sure, but it involves making and restoring your iphone with custom firmware through itunes.
so if you use sn0wbreeze make sure you make a back up of the phone or you will lose apps..music etc

this is my copy of redsn0w i last used on 4.2.1: Download redsn0w_win_0.9.6b4.rar from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way
it dont include the baseband update but you dont need that. just try installing cydia with it.

if that dont work then it will be sn0wbreeze, which i will help you with tomorrow ;) lol

Hi Kryton

I managed to get Cydia working and unlocked the phone, when i turned it off and back on again it gets stuck on the apple logo and wont boot up, tried loading the redsn0w again but still the same, any ideas?

Got it to reboot by doing "just boot tethered right now" option.

if i turn the phone off/on will it reboot or do i have to use redsn0w again to start it?

when I try and run redsn0w again as normal it keeps getting stuck on the logo.

sounds like its tethered which mean you will have to run redsn0w each time you reboot.
odd thing is though ive used redsn0w for 4.2.1 and it wasnt tethered.

if you want to do a untethered jailbreak then i recommend you try sn0wbreeze : Hotfile.com: One click file hosting: sn0wbreeze-v2.2.1.zip
but first boot your phone up and make a backup of it because you have to restore the phone when using sn0wbreeze.
the above version is the 1 you need.
you already have the 4.2.1 ipsw file
and here is a how to: Sn0wbreeze 2.2.1 Jailbreak 4.2.1 / 4.2.6 on iPhone, iPad and iPod touch | Redmond Pie

when it is done you will have to unlock it again with ultrasn0w

Back