iPhone Advice required for Jailbreak & Unlock please :)

toonmadlad

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have just recived a 3gs Iphone on the O2 network, the version it's running is 4.2.1 with FW 05.15.04, can somebody point me in the right direction as to the best software to use to Unlock and Jailbreak the phone.

Many thanks

Pete

Thanks Wilson1980,

I have been looking at option "GreenPois0n RC5" but wanted to make sure that this was the best option from the experts on here before I do the Unlock & JB.

thats the one i would use out them myself . ive never used an unlock yet as my iphone is unlocked but no doubt someone
else will know better for ya

Greenp0sion wont unlock your iphone 0n 4.2.1 you will need to update your baseband to the ipad baseband with redsn0w 1st , then you will need to download the 4.2.1 ipsw file from HERE for your device,
if your on windows vista or windows 7 once you have download redsn0w from HERE you need to right click on the exe file , hit the compatability tab and choose to run it in windows xp service pack 3, once ticked apply and come out , run redsn0w again and choose update to ipad baseband, let it do the updating , then you can jailbreak using redsn0w, run redsn0w again , and choose option to install cydia, full guide can be found HERE once you have cydia on your device let it do all the updates and refreshes, then go into the manage tab/sources/and click on ultrasn0w , once you have donr this reboot your iphone and job done.

Please not info for educational purposes only , do this at your own risk,this method works really well

Last edited:
ask o2 to unlock your iphone, i did this ages ago from a link on their homepage - now iphone is officially unlocked (I only had it a month before requesting)
can't remember the page or i'd post it though....

Cheers Biffo,

Do I need to use Itunes at all to carry out the installation or can it all be done via windows 7?

be aware though.
updating your baseband to the ipad baseband will kill your gps
and there is no current fix for it yet

you also wont beable to do updates through itunes as normal, you will have to use custom firmware to update.

Last edited:
be aware though.
updating your baseband to the ipad baseband will kill your gps
and there is no current fix for it yet

you also wont beable to do updates through itunes as normal, you will have to use custom firmware to update.

Not always mate my daughters is fine her 3gs on ipad baseband on 4.2.1 unlocked with ultrasn0w

Cheers Biffo,

Do I need to use Itunes at all to carry out the installation or can it all be done via windows 7?

youll only need itunes once its unlocked and jailbroken to put ya music and apps on , once your all done the fist thing to install is appsync[to sync ya cracked /downloaded apps] and install0us[free apps which is all working fine now]both can be found on the cydia.hackulo.us repo

Not always mate my daughters is fine her 3gs on ipad baseband on 4.2.1 unlocked with ultrasn0w

just said it as a word of caution m8.
ive done 3 and they have all lost the gps, it's the risk you have to take
itunes will recognise it as an ipad with the ipad baseband so you can only update them with custom fw

Last edited:
yea mate as ive read that in a lot of cases this is a problem

Thanks for the replies, is there any other way around this to avoid the possibility of losing the GPS apart from getting O2 to unlock ?

not yet mate but musclenerd is working on this

Everyone knows that it was made possible through the use of iPad’s baseband version 6.15.00. iPhone 3G and 3GS’ original basebands 5.14.02 and 5.15.04 were left in the dark, and probably can never be unlocked, ever.
So, if you plan to implant iPad’s baseband 6.15.00 into your iPhone 3G or 3GS, you may want to read and consider the following:
There is no software downgrade procedure available once your baseband has been upgraded to 6.15.00. However, @MuscleNerd is currently working on this.
If you have a baseband 6.15.00, you will NOT be able to restore using the original firmware. That means iTunes will give you an error message if you try to restore it directly from there. You can only do it via a custom or ‘cooked’ firmware created with redsn0w or other tools such as sn0wbreeze.
GPS will not work properly (or not working at all!) on your iPhone due to this baseband although a fix is said to be on the horizon.
You will void any Apple warranties as they can easily detect this baseband if you bring it in for service.
The resale value of your iPhone may be lesser due to the above, that’s if you intend to sell it at one point. Otherwise, this is not really an issue.
If these do not bother you at all then you are ready to unlock your iPhone. You can follow the steps here. Alternatively, we provide hardware unlock by replacing the baseband chip which contains iPhone’s original baseband 5.13.04 which is already unlockable. This will eliminate most of the issues above.

iPhone GPS Fix 06.15 Workaround & Other Options
Install BT Stack from cydia have a look here
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Biffa, the info's much appreciated, just thought if there was an alternative way to keep it running I might try that, the phone is for my son so the GPS isn't important.

Thanks

Pete

I'm trying to get into DFU mode, do I need to be on a computer that has Itunes for this to work as nothing is happening when I follow the instructions?

The phone needs to be plugged into the USB then turned off.
Then follow the onscreen instructions that redsn0w shows you for DFU mode.

1) hold power till it says slide to shut off.

2) hold power for 3 sec.

3) hold power and home for 10 sec.

4) then let go of power and hold home for 10 sec.

you will need the latest itunes installed
You dont need itunes to put the phone into DFU mode but you do need itunes for the phones driver and DFU driver
so redsn0w can detect it.

Last edited:
Im getting a little confussed now (its not difficult)

is the 1st thing I need to do is to put the iphone on the Ipad baseband using redsn0w? what version baseband do I use and does anybody have a link

Then do I install 4.2.1 back onto the iphone using redsn0w?

Thanks

your not reinstalling 4.2.1
your jailbreaking it.

first step you need to do it download the original 4.2.1 ipsw file, you will need this for redsn0w:this is the firmware file you need: http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/061-9895.20101122.Cdew2/iPhone2,1_4.2.1_8C148a_Restore.ipsw
download it with firefox or google chrome.

then you need to jailbreak your device and update its baseband using redsn0w following this how to : How to Update & Jailbreak iPhone 3GS / 3G Baseband to 06.15.00 with Redsn0w 0.9.6b5 for iOS 4.2.1 Unlock | Redmond Pie

once jailbroke run cydia on your phone, you can then install ulltrasnow to unlock it: this guide is for 4.3.3 but its exactly the same: Unlock 4.3.3 iOS on iPhone 4, 3GS with Ultrasn0w 1.2.3 [Tutorial] | Redmond Pie

Last edited:
Back