Advice on starter D-SLR please

HappyH

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably gonna buy an entry level D-SLR, more than likely 2nd hand from eBay. Budget approx £300, looking to get body and a lens for that. Read a few threads in here, had a look over on dpreview, Canon EOS 500D seems to fit the bill. Checked the prices they've been going for on eBay & historically they're around my budget. Just looking for some advice or suggestions.
Posted this thread almost 2 years ago before buying my Panasonic Lumix FZ38 & little_pob kinda hinted to go for a D-SLR. Guess what? He was right. I love the FZ38 but would like to get a bit more adventurous: general photography, landscapes & sunsets, probably some macro too (not if it involves a separate lens immediately to keep the cost down). Decent video on the camera is a requirement too.
Any advice appreciated.
HH.

Last edited by a moderator:
The difficulty with advising someone just entering the world of interchangeable lens cameras is it is more cost effective to stick with a brand or marque when upgrading in the future. That way as you won't, normally, have to replace the lenses too.

In Europe it seems Canon are popular with beginners to professionals. In Japan, Nikon is more popular. In the US they buy Leica, but stick with the same, admittedly excellent, lens because the body cost them $5k :rolleyes:

Sony also make DSLRs. I've heard rumblings recently that the shine is starting to wear off for some of those invested in the marque. Not really investigated why though as I'm a Pentax owner.

Kit lenses are fine for starting out - but there can be a point were you start to hit the limits of that lens, be it aperture, focal distance, AF speed etc.

The basic advice is the same for anyone that isn't sure which marque to go for:

• Price up the cost of the OEM telephoto (70-210mm) and 50mm lenses.
  • Also price 3rd party lenses in the same focal ranges.
  • Compare the features of the cameras in your price range.
  • Just as important is how many boxes of your feature set wish list are ticked?
  • Get user reviews as well as pro/mag reviews.

this place is ideal for keeping a eye on prices etc , Camera Price Buster - Nikon Digital SLRs
some of the stuff on ebay sells for not far short of getting brand new. as you say your budget is around 300, a little bit more would get you a new nikon or canon entry level with lens.

Had another look at my finances (50 quid from yougov this month & a few bob in my quidco account) & can go to £450. Seen a 'manufacturer refurbished' Canon EOS 600D on the auction site for 440, includes an 18-55mm lens. In budget, my mate's got a canon so can maybe road test his lenses before investing in any more, previous experience of Canon has been all good, model seems to tick all my boxes & has pretty decent reviews. Gonna look for more reviews but defo favourite at the moment.
Thanks to little_pob & six2 for your posts, I appreciate it.
Would like to hear if anyone's got any personal experience of a Canon EOS 600D please?
HH.

Not that I like to deliberate on decisions like this for a while :Biggrin2: but the 600D arrived today, waiting on the battery charging now. Will post back in a few weeks with first impressions.
HH.

How did you get on with the new camera ? was it canon refurbished ?

How did you get on with the new camera ? was it canon refurbished ?
Prices seemed to have dropped a wee bit since June so managed to get a new one for the price. Hardly had a play yet, hopefully have more time in the next few weeks.
HH.

Cool, I just wondered because I'd bought one off canon refurb ebay site, it arrived faulty.

Back