Some help needed with a new camera purchase, please

mike_07

Inactive User
Reaction score
I've decided to get a new camera but I'm not sure what camera to get, I currently have the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 which I've never had a problem with but now I want to upgrade not only that but I want to see a noticeable difference in photos and videos I take (otherwise there's no point upgrading?) I'm not after top of the range just to be able to say it was worth upgrading.

I've been looking and seen a few (which I will list in a moment) but can't decide what to go for.

I want to take photos indoors and out, photos of people, buildings, countryside, wildlife/animals etc. I want it to be able to take good photos in bad light conditions and have a good optical zoom (min 24x preferably 30x+) so I can take photos from far away

As for video I would like it to be 1080 not 720! with a clear, crisp picture

So far I've looked at these but some I've gone off and I'll explain why

Nikon Coolpix P510 (I liked this camera at first but it has known problems with focusing when videoing, even when you don't use zoom it randomly goes out of focus and then refocuses leaving parts of the recording blurry etc which to me makes videoing on this camera a no-no so I've ruled it out unless someone can tell me different?)

Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR (maybe it was just the video I sore on youtube? but when zooming in and out the video goes blurry which puts me off a bit but doesn't rule it completely out)

Canon PowerShot SX40 HS

At the moment (although I could change my mined again) these two seem to be at the top of my list but I'm still not sure what camera to buy

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V

I would like to spend nearer to £250 but my maximum is £300

I would class myself fairly new to photography but I aim to join a club or start a course in the new year to learn more and expand

I'm interested in hearing of other options to what I could go for, I would also like to know the good and bad points about the cameras I've mentioned (especially any bad points!!!!!)

After non stop looking over the last few days I'm even more unclear what camera to get, when I think I've found one I find downside (like with the P510) I'm not after a £2000 camera for £300 (if that was possible nobody would pay £2000) what i am after is a camera to take great photos and not to have focusing problems when videoing)

Thanks in advance for any info or advice given

Mike

I'm hearing good things about the new Android digital compacts from the likes of Samsung. But they're new to market, and have the price to match.

To be honest though, if you are happy with the ZS3 Id' stick with that and save a bit more for a mirrorless or dSLR.

Just be aware that the majority of mirrorless cameras use a different lens fitting to the dSLRs from the same manufacturer. (Thought I'd mention it, in case it was a future upgrade you were looking at.)

Why not step up to the DSLR category...
After owning a Finepix S5600 for 6 years I finally sold mine and bought one of these Buy CANON EOS 1100D Digital SLR Camera with 18-55 mm Zoom Lens | Free Delivery | Currys which is just £9 over your budget but a brilliant entry camera to DSLR for a beginner like ourselves... It'll do all the things you want to as listed above...
Hope that helps...
Nice price, and Canon's £30 cashback offer means it's effectively £279 too :thumbsup:, but it only does 720p video and he wants 1080p.

Back