advice from a fellow sparky !!

maarksparky

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi folks,

my house is quite old and thinking of changing the consumer unit with circuit breakers.. had a wee look this weekend and not sure how I go about moving the service fuse from one place to another (difficult because there is a main live feed coming in...

is there any other way of doing it, how do brtsh gas work with service fuses, dont think they switch the power of the whole area before working on it..

please advise.. your help is appreciated..

I know thats why I was like no.. as I havent done them before..

guess I might have to call them to do it.. wonder how much they are gonna charge..

thought being an electrician I would be able to do it.. but nay luck..

any suggestions ??

if you want the head moved you need EDF or the provider for the area.

if it has enough slack on the main cable then you could move it slightly if it was on a wooden frame.... but believe me it will cost an arm and a leg and will take forever if you involve the powers above lol

but its also beyond our scope to touch any of the electrical heads and meters.

but in theory if you moved the head without touching the seals then what's the problem but thats in theory and i would not suggest you do that lol

it will probably be sealed also.

is it a lead main coming in or a concentric cable ?

can you not just run the 25mm/16mm tails into a henly block and extend it from the henly block with more tails ???

it would be much easier than moving the head

i am sure the tails are only allowed to be a metre long max, but if you you want to extend tails just put new ones in altogether.

carlos its not the concentric cable.. its a simple earth and live wire coming in the service fuse..

Mickie D I had the idea aswell but the problem is that there is a wooden frame at the back which I need to replace...

thanks for the input so far guys..

carlos anymore suggestions bigman ??

Last edited:
no.. need to move everything.. as they are fitted on a wooden board which is knackerred.. and the new consumer unit needs more space

just make a new board for the head to sit on and move it if you can do it carefully

but i never said that lol

lol.. cheers bigman.. gonna have to think of an alternative unless another idea pops up..

any more suggestions welcome..

take a picture and let us have a butcher (literally lmao)

Think thats your only option mate. I have had to do this meself a few times .

and mayb a nice model kinda pointin where its been moved to

Tampering with board equipment is illegal & doing so in my past experience can sometimes loosen the tails to the point they fall from the fuse carrier.To get the electric board in your area to do this will time time consumimng & expensive.Here we have guys that do this for a living and lucky for us also as foreigners , there must be guys like this in every area so put the word around i'm sure you will find one.

I thought that the wooden board, along with everything fastened to it, was the property of the supplier.
Could you put another wooden board adjacent to the existing one??

I recently changed mine to a 10 way memshield 2 metalclad unit.
The only thing I needed to move was the meter.
This didn't cause any problems as I replaced the tails too.

Curly

Tampering with board equipment is illegal & doing so in my past experience can sometimes loosen the tails to the point they fall from the fuse carrier.To get the electric board in your area to do this will time time consumimng & expensive.Here we have guys that do this for a living and lucky for us also as foreigners , there must be guys like this in every area so put the word around i'm sure you will find one.

I am an electrician myself mate no need to get a foreigner to do it.. PS Welcome to the forum.. (magic first post.. lol)

Curly, digidude and xxx cheers guys.. apprecaite your help..

Mickie D, where is your meat shop ? lol...

Can you cut the metal tie holding the main fuse and pull it out to isolate it, then twist them back together after. Mickie has the best idea by taking some longer tails from the block. When you say move, how far?

Could you not move it behind the wall it's on?

Back