Adding a second Router

laganasroy

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all im new on here just wondering if anyone can advise me.

I have a wireless router (plusnet) and i want to get wireless in my garage/bar but its a little too far away and drops in and out. I have my old Sky netgear wireless router doing nothing. I know i could connect the 2 via catv and job done but i dont wanna be dragging cables over unneccessarily if i could do it wirelessly?? is that possible? ive tried google but im confuzzled,

I can log into both routers
sky via ethernet into laptop

do i need to change any settings on my plusnet one?

also i read i would need to set my sky to client mode ( i can only see g&b and g only modes)

Think this needs to go in the pc section, how ever your routers would need to have wireless bridge capabilities to be able to bridge one as a relay....

You can however both routers will have to support WDS ( Wireless Distribution System) and i am not sure about yours if they do or not.

Few things you will need to set up if both do support it.

Both routers will need to have different IP's e.g x.x.x.1 and x.x.x.254

Each router will need to have the others MAC address setup.

Your wifi signal will need to overlap at least 10 to 15% and be separated by 5 channels. e.g router A on channel 1 and router B on channel 6 or above.

to make it easier

Try setting it up with out encryption first to make sure it works and add encryption when you get it up and running.

Also bear in mind if you are straddling the kitchen or that if someone turns on rhe microwave there is a chance of interference.

I have such an implementation for over 1 year now

used to have one wifi route but due to size of house, some area of the house the wifi signal was <10% and since the kids bedrooms was in that part, they couldnt play ps3/wii over wifi and didnt want to run extra cat5 cables

got a additional Buffalo G300N router (already had DLink 615 as main router), and installed ddwrt on them, and then set up a WDS between the 2 and since then been solid, good connection speed on PS3 no signal droo outs and ping between 2 routers is < 1ms

now the problem with WDS is that it is all implemented based on manufacturers, so to get it working with say a Netgear and DLink router wont work if they run different firmware .. however with ddwrt on different makes of routers its works perfectly and have to say I am very pleased with set up

and also with ddwrt I have set up virtual ssids so the wds run on a different ssid that is hidden and clients connect on another ssid.

Back