Acer laptop

Dutcho

VIP POOF
VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been given a lappy to look at and I have tried everything to get it to connect to net.

It's a acer thingy with crappy vista on. It says it's connected but only to local and not internet, I've checked router and that says yeah coolman your connected, I've removed every firewall on the foooooker and even uninstalled wireless card and deleted drivers but still wont let it connect to internet.

It just sits there laughing and keeps trying.

What am I missing other than it's a foooken crappy vista system ????

I've been given a lappy to look at and I have tried everything to get it to connect to net.

It's a acer thingy with crappy vista on. It says it's connected but only to local and not internet, I've checked router and that says yeah coolman your connected, I've removed every firewall on the foooooker and even uninstalled wireless card and deleted drivers but still wont let it connect to internet.

It just sits there laughing and keeps trying.

What am I missing other than it's a foooken crappy vista system ????

had that with an aspire 5010 running vista.
i had to download the xp driver for the wireless card before it would work properly.

It connects to router though just says local connection not local and internet ! Can't identify network or sommit !

same problem m8.

download the vista and xp drivers from acer and try the vista 1, if that doesn't work try the xp 1.

It connects to router though just says local connection not local and internet ! Can't identify network or sommit !

reboot your router and you will be fine

and vista is excellent better than xp crap :)

this is a longshot but take all the encryption setting of the router then see if it will work

this is a longshot but take all the encryption setting of the router then see if it will work

what he said.

turn all security off (WEP, WPA ,etc) - see if u can get it working that way. then atleast you'll know it's the driver at fault as it's not asking for the wireless key

I had the same prob with vista. You should reset the router to default settings and vista will go online automatically. I was duel booting, xp would go on line but vista would not. Vista didn't like a certain setting. First I would have to manually enter my IP address to log on. When I reset my router I didn't need to do that, vista would find it by itself. A poor workman blames his tools :)

Which chip is it, Broadcom, or Atheros?

Is there a switch on the lappy? I've had before where, even though the light was on, it was not connected, however sliding the switch over made it work...

Actually, scrap that, I just saw you said you've cabled it up... In that case, nobody has set up a proxy by mistake/forgotten to remove it...?

Does it do it with all browsers?

You've run the standard network repairs in Vista...?

Yeah ran all the repairs, deleted everything and started a fresh but still the same, it says conected but only local not internet so none of the browsers, firefox or ie will work :(

It's got a gen copy of vista on it but no recovery disc so I'm not sure if I can even format it and shove a new version on using the gen key ??

Yeah ran all the repairs, deleted everything and started a fresh but still the same, it says conected but only local not internet so none of the browsers, firefox or ie will work :(

It's got a gen copy of vista on it but no recovery disc so I'm not sure if I can even format it and shove a new version on using the gen key ??

You can with the attached mate. Extract, run it, and it'll backup your genuine activation files. It'll save them for you, so backup the two files it creates to another partition, or USB stick, and then once you've loaded a clean install of Vista, you just run file again, and it'll reload the activation files so it's activated again. (The files can be run direct from USB stick) There is a readme included.

Do Acer laptops have their own network connection manager ???

If so you could try stopping that and letting Windows use their connection as sometimes they conflict with each other.

Do Acer laptops have their own network connection manager ???

If so you could try stopping that and letting Windows use their connection as sometimes they conflict with each other.

If it has a Broadcom chip, then the Broadcom driver does/can load the Broadcom WiFi software. However, you can install the driver manually, with no Broadcom software... I can't cooment on the Atheros WiFi chip, because my old Acer had the Broadcom in it.

But as it wouldn't connect via the NIC and a cable, I'd guess it wasn't that causing the problem. (Providing it was rebooted)

Back