AAARRGGHH! (or my drive won't flash to the new 5.0 from 4.2)

tep

Inactive User
Reaction score
After some initial messing about when I first flashed my drive to Xtreme 4.2, which was due to finding the right software etc) I thought that flashing to the new 5.0 would be a piece of cake. Oh how wrong I was!

I've tried several times over the past couple of days to flash the new one and it just won't do it :(
I've been using Xtreme Boot Maker on a usb pen, I have a custom mtkflash for the sata chipset, it boots fine, mtkflash lists the interfaces fine, but it just sits there if I try to read or write. I'd be pulling my hair out but it's too short!

I am probably going to end up buying a pci sata card but that will have to wait till after xmas now grrrrr.

And don't even get me started on things going wrong with trying to backup a game. I never get the responses the tutorial says I should get so I don't want to waste a blank when I really don't think it's worked. I'm hotswapping using wxripper, but when i open the iso in ss merger it doesn't identify it as a wxripper style, and says it too short for xtreme style. *face hits desk*

have you used the 0800 disc

Nope, do you think that will help?
I've also got the xecuter 360 connectivity kit which has a switch to enable 0800 mode but that's not seemed to make any difference.

Do I just leave the 0800 disc in all the time?

lashing your drive with Xtreme4.x firmware installed
----------------------------------------------------------

Plug SATA cable from DVD drive to PC. Power cable drive still connected to Xbox 360

Power on PC

Boot with standard dos boot disk with included mtkflash utility to dos

Power on Xbox 360

Insert Enable0800 disc into drive and wait 10 seconds then eject disc

Run mtkflash as per normal.

And don't even get me started on things going wrong with trying to backup a game. I never get the responses the tutorial says I should get so I don't want to waste a blank when I really don't think it's worked. I'm hotswapping using wxripper, but when i open the iso in ss merger it doesn't identify it as a wxripper style, and says it too short for xtreme style. *face hits desk*

Invest in one of these & flash it with kreon firmware.
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/316098/art/samsung/16x-sh-d162c-dvd-player-b.html
Makes things very simple. Just put the disc in, start xbox backup creator and thats about it really.

The 10 second trick has worked for me now 3 times on upgrading from 4.0/4.2/5.0.

works everytime

The 10 second trick has worked for me now 3 times on upgrading from 4.0/4.2/5.0.

works everytime

i'll be honest, i have 4.2 on mine, and havent updated to 5.0 yet, but it sounds easy enough to do.

Well I've not managed to go to 5.0 or even 5.1 yet, but not bothered yet as I know it works now, just tried one. I'll have another go soon, not sure if my 0800enable disc is working, the drive just spins up then stops repeatedly when I insert it. Not that fussed at this point

i did mine from 4.2 to 5.1 (missed out the 5.0) and with violentj's help, i found out that i just leave the 0800 disc in 360 at all times not the 10 secs as stated.

I'll give it a go sometime, I want to get 5.1 on. Just depends if I can be bothered, maybe when the little one has gone back to his mum's tomorrow : multi :

works everytime

Do you still need the 0800 disc? and is it best to reflash the original first and then upgrade to 5.1?

yes m8, you still need the 0800 disc, leave it in at all time throughout the flashing/reading

no need for original, just new flash

Back