A very simple question..

psynet

Inactive User
Reaction score
What are the implications of forcing a higher config file than the one that was used by the sniffed mac address.

For example:

AA:BB:CC:DD:EE - cmreg-ntlhm120-mid.cm (found using DHCP-Force)

then forcing this mac address and using cmreg-ntlhm250-bund03.cm

Is the mac address likely to be banned from the network etc, any other thoughts on this?

Psy

It shouldn't get banned but if it does just get a new one. The only advantage at the moment of using a 20meg mac rather then a 2meg mac is you dont get your speed throttled back as quick due to there 'traffic management'.

I see.. interesting point you have about the traffic management, what exactly do Virgin limit the lower services to?

I see.. interesting point you have about the traffic management, what exactly do Virgin limit the lower services to?

2MB - download more then 350MB between 4pm and midnight and it goes to 1mb for 4 hours.

4MB - download more then 750MB between 4pm and midnight and it goes to 2mb for 4 hours.

20MB - download more then 3GB between 4pm and midnight and it goes to 5mb for 4 hours.

Seems a bit tight, I think I'll have to find myself a 20MB mac to use.

Thanks for the info, its appreciated

Psy

Seems a bit tight, I think I'll have to find myself a 20MB mac to use.

Thanks for the info, its appreciated

Psy

No probs. Remember you cant use a mac you find with your scan, you have to trade with someone in a different UBR.

Yeah, I'm lucky enough to have a few friends in different UBR areas so thats not a problem, just havent came across a 20MB mac address yet unfortunately :(

Psy

Yeah, I'm lucky enough to have a few friends in different UBR areas so thats not a problem, just havent came across a 20MB mac address yet unfortunately :(

Psy

Just force the bund*3 config file to your existing mac, It will give you 10Mb or 20Mb if you area has been upgraded.

Psy

Just force the bund*3 config file to your existing mac, It will give you 10Mb or 20Mb if you area has been upgraded.

The traffic shaping stuff works via the MAC address rather than via the config file so forcing a config file may leave you with the stm limits of the true config thats supposed to be assigned to that modem.

Not exactly sure on this - maybe someone could try it out and find out !

Back