A couple of questions about Temps and overclocking

mike_07

Inactive User
Reaction score
Need some advise please

I've just replaced the CPU, RAM and motherboard in my sisters PC, It is all working OK :) I'm now wanting to overclock it by about 10% (don't want to go above this for a number of reasons, two of which is that its not mine and its all brand new parts)

Ive already overclocked it by 9%

The parts I'm using are:

Intel E6600 CPU (details here)
Asus P5G41T-M LX Motherboard (details here)
4GB DDR3 1333 Kingston Ram (slightly under-clocked to 1180) (details here)

The CPU is rated at 3.06GHZ I've currently overclocked it to 3.36GHZ

The Bus speed is 290.9MHZ with a 11.5 Multiplier, the rated FSB is 1163.0MHZ and the voltage is currently 1.240V (its on auto so might change slightly)

The RAM is working at 7-7-7-20 in Dual channel

FSB:DRAM is 1:2

Temperatures at idle (using Everest ultimate ED) are:

Motherboard 30C
CPU 30C
CPU #1 30C
CPU #2 28C
HDD 33C

after 30min under 100% full load with prime95 they are:

Motherboard 32C
CPU 69C
CPU #1 69C
CPU #2 65C
HDD 34C

The CPU more than doubles its Temp is this OK? what should I let the max Temp get to under 100% load? I thought for this CPU etc that it should be under 50C is that right? or am I wrong from what I've been reading on the net? on Intel's page (link above) it says "TCASE 74.1°C" I don't know what Tcase is? but I don't think it means the CPU temp?

I also noticed when prime95 is running there is a noise, it sounds like its coming from the PSU and ONLY prime95 dose it! ONLY when prime95 is running it makes this sound! any ideas what it is? is it the PSU starting to fail under full load? or nothing to worry about?

Lastly should I leave the voltages as they are (mainly set to auto) or should I now look into dropping them up un-till it becomes unstable then add a bit?

Any help is gratefully received!!!!!! Don't want to fry my Sisters new PC!

Thanks
Mike

Last edited:
You haven't mentioned how your system is being cooled? It's a pretty important element to OC. On my Quad Core Q9550, my temps where running at about 45-50 under load but did peak to about 70, although for me I was using water cooling and I considered that high.

Tried to run Prime95 myself and there is no "noise" so it's possible the PSU is not up to the task.

Also wondering why you would need to OC your sisters PC? Does she like performance metrics and getting the best from her system to post or compare results with the OC community?

Last edited:
Sorry wasn't 100% sure what information to include as this is the first time I've overclocked a PC, but should of thought

It's got a freezer 7 CPU fan instead of the sock fan (details here) and it is using MX-4 thermal Paste instead of the stock paste (details here)

Since posting I did my own "mini" stress test "so to speak" and got OK Temps, I ran windows update, task manager, everest ultimate ED, cpu-Z and installed Microsoft office 2010 Pro all at the same time (not the best test I know) and the Temps roughly speaking (as they varied a bit):

Motherboard 30C/32C
CPU 35C-45C
CPU #1 35C-45C
CPU #2 35C-45C
HDD 33C/34C

The main three reasons to overclock are:
*To give her a bit better/faster PC
*My nephew will be using it and he's at collage studying computers
*Because I can and the motherboard/CPU will let me

Reasons I don't want to overclock to much or do it wrongly are:
*It's new parts and don't want to dramatically shorten there life's
*Causes extra heat etc

Everything looks like its working 100% OK and I haven't come across any problems apart from wondering if its to hot? and if I should leave the volts as they are or should I lower them? there currently set to AUTO

As soon as the load goes from 100% to idle the Temps drop straight back to idle Temps!

To me if the Temps are below 50C I know there shouldn't be a problem, and when its idle or with "my mini stress test" Temps stay below 45C

I know as a rule they probably won't have it under full load, but I don't want to set it up and they put it under full load and something happens and its my fault for not making sure its running OK etc first

Over all I'm happy with it except for Temps under 100% load and if I should change or leave the volts?

Just want to the best job I can for my Sis

Thanks
Mike

Checking the CPU specification, its within the limit of 74C. However this is winter so be careful in summer when ambient temps can much higher then they are now.

And its not uncommon to max out CPU these days with things like video file conversion. So I would not assume that it won't happen.

TBH, I would look at dropping CPU voltage slightly and see how stable it is. Though tbh I am not aware of the pentiun E6600 being a good overclocker, have a look at this overclocking guide.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply and info oneman, could you please post a link to that guide?

Your right from what I've read about the CPU, its not a great overclocker but it can be done, (people have had it at 4GHZ) if it was me I would of got a better CPU but its not for me and it had to fit to a budget

Thanks
Mike

Thanks for the reply and info oneman, could you please post a link to that guide?

Your right from what I've read about the CPU, its not a great overclocker but it can be done, (people have had it at 4GHZ) if it was me I would of got a better CPU but its not for me and it had to fit to a budget

Thanks
Mike

Sorry I was going to link to this, as you already appear to know the G41 does not appear to be a great chipset for overclocking.

Pentium DualCore E6600 Maximum OC [QUEST] - General-Discussions - Overclocking

The main three reasons to overclock are:

*To give her a bit better/faster PC
*My nephew will be using it and he's at collage studying computers
*Because I can and the motherboard/CPU will let me

Sorry, just to point some things out, and It's more to highlight that there isn't much importance about the first two points

1) It won't really make much noticeably difference to her PC, or to her, and your actually shortening the life of her CPU (marginally), plus as you believe it isn't a great overclocker so the exercise seems pointless, or for nothing other than to satisfy your own curiosity.
2) Not sure how you made the connection between overclocking and studying, because one doesn't have anything to do with the other, and he's even less likely to learn about OC in college. Can't say that in any point during training or my career I've ever used OC for anything other than massaging my ego ;)
3) Not really a reason, but more of a want on your behalf? Have you asked your sister? I can bet she isn't really bothered.

:)

Maybe it's just me, but I'm just not seeing the point in expending all this effort, and if it was my sister she would get a stock OOB PC. Each to their own I guess. Happy OC.

Last edited:
Back