5cd auto changer

mickbrush

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi

I have a 5CD changer unit stopped working although there is a loud buzzing noise.

after taking the lid off to investigate further and testing for power on the main board it became aparent that the fault was on the power board.

I have little experiance with power boards so i have stuck a few pics here and await advice for next steps.

Forgot to mention I have tested the fuses and they are ok, there is power going to the transformer but as far as i can tell no power from there.

Might be an open transformer winding. Some transformers have a thermal fuse in them too but it would probably be on the primary winding.

so could i just change the transformer and would i be able to get a direct replacement.

It might be difficult to find out what the specs of that one are unless it has a part number on it. I'd guess that it won't have though, it's probably been wound especially.

You could always unwind it and rewind it with the same diameter wire. Remember to count the turns!

Have you tried a continuity test on the secondary? It's probably a centre-tapped transformer.

Sorry but I think rewinding the unit is a little beyond my abilities ,I am quite capable of removing and replacing but as you say dont think i will get a replacement unit.

Is there anywhere I could send it to have it fixed the cd player is £400 peice of kit so dont realy want to bin it.

If you can find a schematic or service manual for it you might be able to find a ready-made one at Farnell or RS. Looks like it might have a few windings on it, can you post a picture of the track-side of the board?

I don't think any rewind company would take it.

Back