5402 HD power up/usb issue

linslademan

Inactive User
Reaction score
My receiver has this morning developed a fault when powering up from standby.
I got the usual 4 green dashes but it then switched off again without getting picture and kept going into this power loop again and again.
I disconnected lan cable and usb drive and finally managed to bring it back to life by performing full factory rest using front buttons on receiver.
Receiver will now only power up properly without usb drive connected or otherwise it goes into power loop as described above.
Is power supply on way out?
Receiver is less than 2 years old, so would be pretty miffed if that is problem as my brother had to have a new power supply on his 5402 HD whilst still under warranty last year.

Update. Receiver switched itself off with red light on front of box blinking at me and nothing happening.
Did a full factory reset again using front buttons, rebooted ok but gone off again with red button blinking.

Try reflashing patch and add on as well just to rule out any firmware corruption. Flash using usb and boot up and install with front buttons on stb.

Try reflashing patch and add on as well just to rule out any firmware corruption. Flash using usb and boot up and install with front buttons on stb.

Hi Zorch/Headwest, many thanks for advice:Cheers:
I have reflashed all as suggested above and(touchwood) box seems to be powering on/off ok at present.
Will keep you posted on situation!

Got same problem again this morning with receiver constantly rebooting.
Managed to get a steady picture after about a dozen reboots and now working properly again.
Pretty sure now that it's not a patch issue as I have flashed it twice with two different patches from a complete factory reset so am leaning towards it being a hardware issue.
Think I'll give Technomate a ring tomorrow and see what they advise.

Hi again linslademan,

Does the problem still occur when you have Original Software on the receiver...?

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Hi again linslademan,

Does the problem still occur when you have Original Software on the receiver...?

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Hi Zorch, yes I believe so.
It cut out yesterday after a full factory reset from front of receiver using factory installed channel list( no patches)
I might install original firmware later on just to be 100% certain.
Just rebooted itself once now as I write this post and now holding steady again. That's about 3 hours without problem!

Hi again linslademan,

The problem might also be caused by certain old transponders/channels in the default list/cndf file... this has happened in the past to a couple of members I seem to recall... but never with a TM 5402 HD though... so it maybe a worthwhile exercise loading another members' 'up-to-date' cndf file and see if the problem still occurs...

I hope this helps...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Hi again linslademan,

The problem might also be caused by certain old transponders/channels in the default list/cndf file... this has happened in the past to a couple of members I seem to recall... but never with a TM 5402 HD though... so it maybe a worthwhile exercise loading another members' 'up-to-date' cndf file and see if the problem still occurs...

I hope this helps...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Hi Zorch,
Hope I am not tempting fate, but I think that my own personal channel list may be corrupt.
This is what I did yesterday afternoon:

Factory reset using front button of receiver
Flashed latest Technomate original firmware
Individually blind scanned my four satellites(13,19,23 and 28 east)
Channel hopped for a few minutes, did not have reboot issue.
I installed latest phantom and add on patch,all still clearing ok with no reboot issues all evening.I have NOT loaded my personal channel list.
Tested receiver this morning, booted up fine first time!
Will test again this evening,and if still ok I will start making new favourites channel list.

Had a similar problem on an m2 this morning just a flashing red led on front, can't get into boot menu. phoned tm, they said dodgy power supply so I've sent it back in for repairs.

Had a similar problem on an m2 this morning just a flashing red led on front, can't get into boot menu. phoned tm, they said dodgy power supply so I've sent it back in for repairs.

Hi there mate, just to follow on from my last post, I too sent mine back to Technomate about 10 days ago as it kept rebooting itself and felt sure that I would have to fork out for a new power supply.

Funny thing is that they rang me to say they had receiver running all day and could not find anything wrong at all! they only charged me £9.00 to send receiver back via next day courier service, so pretty impressed with their customer service on this occasion.

I re-installed phantom patch/saved channel list and its been running fine for well over a week.

Having got a clue what the problem was( if you're sad enough to read my previous posts, you will see that receiver was rebooting itself even from boot menu and runningit on original firmware only)

Perhaps Technomate felt sorry for me and have installed a new power supply without telling just to keep me sweet!!
Would be very interested in their findings on your receiver.

That's funny because I had a TM5402 that wouldn't work on vertical tp's above 11435khz, I tested it on another lnb (still faulty) and tried another box on the original LNB (which worked fine), they made me send it back to them, they said they soak tested it for 3 days with no fault found then charged me £6.50 to return it to my original supplier in the UK (I live in France). Sounds like they have found a way of avoiding paying the cost of shipping for warranty returns doesn't it?

That's funny because I had a TM5402 that wouldn't work on vertical tp's above 11435khz, I tested it on another lnb (still faulty) and tried another box on the original LNB (which worked fine), they made me send it back to them, they said they soak tested it for 3 days with no fault found then charged me £6.50 to return it to my original supplier in the UK (I live in France). Sounds like they have found a way of avoiding paying the cost of shipping for warranty returns doesn't it?

Hi mate, mine is just about 2 years old so is out of warranty( I told them that on the phone). Can't believe there was nothing wrong with it in the first place, maybe where I live in Bedforshire we have a different electrical supply to Edmonton:whistle:

Or maybe they repaired it and didn't tell you as they get enough bad press on here! Lol. Tm are decent enough with warranty issues and even when it seems that warranty has expired. I will post back when the stb is returned.

Note I returned this stb through my wholesaler so I'm not liable for any postage costs.

Hi Headwest, how did you get on with repairs?

Hi linslademan, headwest et al,

A (possible) reason for them finding no faults on your receivers while on soak test could be because they only use Technomate LNB's on their dishes... I sent a receiver back once for a similar problem to be checked out... and they advised me that the problem probably arose due to receiver/LNB incompatibility... which I found very strange...

They also stated that their Technomate LNB's were specifically designed for maximum compatibility/performance with Technomate receivers... just a marketing ploy... or could there be some truth in this...?

We all know the lengths that companies will go to so you have to buy another one of their products... just look at some of the problems concerning printers and ink cartridges...

I hope this helps...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Last edited:
Interesting info about TM LNB and TM receivers. To be honest always used TM lnb(good buy/quality) together with TM receiver or ALPS(the best), Lemon(good buy/quality), GT(very good in my opinion) and inverto(mixed results). never had real problems with lnb's.
Only had problems with Hirshmann LNB's (weak levels) but well maybe iwas out of luck with hirshmann

its always best to experiment with lnb,s as 1 thats excellent on one system(dish,cable type,cable run,switches ect and stb) may not be best for another. as an example its taken as a given that inverto black ultra lnb,s are the ones to go for nowadays but ive had nothing but problems with the 3 ive tried and at the moment im using a about 10 year old smart titanium mk2 lnbf on a tria td110 with triax tx100 cable. as for technomates statement of the boxs work best with their lnb,s well thats just sales gimmickry imho,regards mdt

Hi again all,

Ooops!! I got a bit confused on my last post... :err: it should have been addressed to Hovisbap as he was the one who had the receiver with tuner problems... and was subsequently told by Technomate that there was nothing wrong with it...

Sorry for the confusion guys...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Back