500c And VLC Player.

I've used VLC frontend on a DM600 over a wired network. Works to the extent that it will break your heart!! Some movies transcoded fine....others would seize up and die within minutes of starting, demanding a reset of VLC at DM600 and at server (which in in my attic!). I got completely frustrated and abandoned the excercise. My advice...use a PS3 or Xbox360 to stream movies natively fom server direct to TV.

Hi Dub11,

I use VLC Frontend on my 500 and it works an absolute treat.
I've only ever had it crash once in the 8 months I've been using it and that was only because the avi file on my Mac had some illegal characters in the file name.

It plays absolutely anything too!

Streaming from the Dreambox to my Mac on the other-hand is a completely different story.
When I first set it up it worked for every channel and I do mean every channel. Then after about 2 months it stopped and has never worked properly again! If I'm lucky I might get BBC One.

I think with streaming it is maybe more luck than design?!?

Hi Dub11,

I use VLC Frontend on my 500 and it works an absolute treat.
I've only ever had it crash once in the 8 months I've been using it and that was only because the avi file on my Mac had some illegal characters in the file name.

It plays absolutely anything too!

Care to share a few words of wisdom on getting it setup mate please?

Anything would be a start I'm sure....

Hi Dazza,

All I did was follow this guide I found on the VLC website:

http://wiki.videolan.org/How_to_DBox

If you use this you should be OK?!

I can't profess to understand it. All I did was follow the guide from start to finish, to the letter.

Hope this helps!!

Oh, if you are using a PC (I use a Mac) I recommend using vlc 0.8.6c. I used vlc 0.8.6d on my Dad's PC and there were a few problems. When I switched to vlc 0.8.6c it has worked great for him too.

Finally make sure you have the web browser plugin for VLC installed on your PC. You can get this from the VLC website if you need it.

Back