4K LG television

Got myself a new LG 4K smart TV..bloody hell what a picture blown away by the quality of the picture and sound..cracking up-scaling on it as well..well worth the upgrade i was real sceptical about 4K as my old telly was only 9 months old and that was a great all singing all dancing 3D smart LG as well but watching the 4K up-scaling sly SD channels is just wow!! blown my old one out the water and regular HD channels i feel like im there absolutely incredible quality picture..as you can guess guys im impressed....
Been converting 1080p movies upto 4K the last 2 days and play back via usb SSD and they are something else..wow wee.4K defiantly the future...you have to see it to believe how good it is..

My TV's on the blink so I might have to invest in a new tv sooner than I would like :(. Whats the Model No of the TV AJT ?

LG 42UB820V , there is a link in post 5 :)

My TV's on the blink so I might have to invest in a new tv sooner than I would like :(. Whats the Model No of the TV AJT ?

post up some details budget/sitting distance/current size/room lighting/connected devices all important questions.

I'm after min 55" as I have a 50" Plasma but its got speakers down each side so a 55 or even a 60 might even be smaller than mine.
Budget £1500
I have a satbox , TiVo , ps3 cctv
I like the look of the OLED but I doubt their within a £1500 budget.

Just for information here but i got a Guy to test this model on another board on the 4K test channels that are available via satellite as i believe this model has a built in satellite tuner, The LG could not resolve any of the free test 4K channels form the various satellites that broadcast them, the only make i have seen so far be able to decode the 4K test card on 28.2° east and other ones are Samsung 4K models with built in sat tuners.

I am not so called dissing this model or make but for anyone who wanted to see what broadcast quality 4K looks like from satellite then a Samsung Branded 4K tv is the way to go

I have 2 or 3 4K movies play from SSD usb drive and the quality is superb
I have to say picture quality all round is great compared to my older LG due to the up-scale process was well worth the purchase..
Yes this tv does have the built in sat tuner but not connected it yet..have not needed too.It has free view HD as well and have sky+HD box connected along with vu solo se and desktop computer plus all the smart tv stuff like netflix and Amazon prime 4K..Everything i watch in 4K is truly beautiful even converted movies.
Had it a week and still fine tuning it..constantly adjusting things..so many settings to play with...

a teners worth of hdmi cable is as good as the 80 90 quid monster cables crap currys try to sell you, simple as that.

Anyone wanting to test there Samsung 4K Tv's with some fullblown non compressed 4K UHD material and has access to usenet then search for this: Samsung.UHD.TV.Movie.And.Demos.Pack.HEVC.2160p-FiLELiST

Be warned these are not compressed 4K demos and TV shows as you would see on the netfix or amazon these are as near to what 4K Blu Ray will bring, just be advised the filesize is 220GB and has a few demos from movies and sports.

as an example a 3m:20s clip is around 40GB with an average bitrate of around 90mbps which is 4x that of Blu Ray.

I believe this sampler was given out on 500GB USB hard drives for purchasing a Top End 4K samsung last year. So basically if you want to see what 4K is about and not the compressed crap from netflix then this is the file to have until 4K blu Ray is launched

Just for information here but i got a Guy to test this model on another board on the 4K test channels that are available via satellite as i believe this model has a built in satellite tuner, The LG could not resolve any of the free test 4K channels form the various satellites that broadcast them, the only make i have seen so far be able to decode the 4K test card on 28.2° east and other ones are Samsung 4K models with built in sat tuners.

I am not so called dissing this model or make but for anyone who wanted to see what broadcast quality 4K looks like from satellite then a Samsung Branded 4K tv is the way to go

There are people viewing Astra UHD demo channel with the LG UB 850v on AVForums afaik the 820 has the same sat tuner,can't see much difference apart from price between samsung and LG

There are people viewing Astra UHD demo channel with the LG UB 850v on AVForums afaik the 820 has the same sat tuner,can't see much difference apart from price between samsung and LG

The Sat tuner just receives the signal its the TV that does all the work and has to have the relevant codecs to do this, I can only go off what the Guy tested on his and he tested all the ones available to him via his motorised dish and none worked on the 820 model.

Monster are dire and over priced. I don't know anyone on other AV forums that would recommend them and they've been frowned upon for many years because they are trash.

Steer clear and just ensure you get a suitable certified 1.4/2.0+ cable, depending on what you want to do. I guess for most people a 2.0 (I think they are at 2.0a now) will suffice. regardless of 'make'

HDMI 1.4 supported 4K resolutions, but only at 24 or 30 frames per second and works fine for movies, but isn't useful for gaming, which require 50 or 60 fps. HDMI 1.4 is limits 4K Ultra HD content to 8-bit color, though it is capable of 10 or 12-bit color. HDMI 2.0 can handle up to 18 gigabits per second — plenty enough to allow for 12-bit color and video up to 60 frames per second.

HDR will most likely require the latest and greatest, but until content is available you're unlikely to see any real difference from 2.0.

Back