4001 + 4010 repair info

TBC

Inactive User
Reaction score
every now and again i like to see whats up with orrible boxes lol - actually brings me some pleasure in my spare time and i do seem to attract them.

so firstly i had a look at a 4001 with mute error, of course did the usual testing and concluded the card reader was fooked. so i fitted a brand new one. still mute error. "its gonna be a long night i thought".

a bit more poking around and i found the card vcc +5v was missing, the card reader is controlled by a TDA8100 this chip supplies everything for the card. wipped it off and fitted another one. still the same, underside was a suspect smd cap so i flipped it off the board - still no 5V on the card!
applied the 5v manually and the box went into a boot loop "pretty much expected that" - disconnected pin 14 of the TDA8100 and manually applied the card vcc's and presto it burst into life. maybe this will save someone a little time when messing with this way out there problemo.
Since no curcuit diagrams are actually available for this model the real cause of the problem will have to wait, but at least a side step is possible.

the second is the usual problem with poor signal, high rs error rates ect on the 4000/4010 models.

behind the f connector socket you have the long white multiplex coil, parallel to it is the signal amplifier underneath a screening can. remove the screening can and you have 3 if transistors with 4 legs a piece.

set your multimeter to 2000 ohms range. place the black probe on the leg that has the dot and the red on the oposite leg. you should see over 150ohms on each and usually about 200. a faulty transistor will read about 90ohms.
if you change it then picture juttering and error rates should fall to normal rates, sometimes this problem can cause a 4010 to boot to 0 everytime.

A replacement part for these transistors lives in cim units of all pace models that have cims. usually a pair of transistors are located at or near the feeds for the tuner cans, incidentally these transistors are what fails in cim modules for all pace models and the same testing proceedure can be used to identify faulty transistors on cims.

ok hope this helps some of you.

tbc

Last edited:
hi m8

very good info

plus i got a 4010 with some channels missin and freezing

my signal is 37db

its got high snr .etc

could u post a pic of the parts

and if possible do maplins sell the spare parts???

ive only got 1 pace 4001 cim here

so will give it a try

cheers

Back