4 x new images

Have you tried to do anything other than watch tv or try to play a media file.Try a sat scan without clearing first, the box runs out of memory at about 37% on 28.2e locks and requires restart(power off/on rear).Then you will see the clean up wizard which requires you to remove plugins before you can use the box again.Rather defeats the object of plugins if you have to remove one to add one.If epg wasnt on my external drive that would also be a none starter.
i have reflashed the image and added nothing and yes i can watch tv and move about the remote without crashing but thats all i can do.

The UR images are much too big on memory useage, look at the VU+ and DM800 images and you will see they are in the region 30-40 mb

I know what you mean, I have been fed up with the last 6 months of ownership, but i am just glad to have HD skin and working EPG.

I also have VU with VIX image and that is laggy sometimes as well, so can not complain to much about UR

A swapfile is a method of using hard storage as an extension of main memory. But linux cannot use it for all purposes, just swapping out pages of data.

TM800@/]# free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 161316 158468 2848 0 5944 79772
-/+ buffers/cache: 72752 88564
Swap: 131064 352 130712
TM800@/]#

The flash storage on your box stores the operating system in a compressed form and copies it to a ram disk created in dram at boot up. It then plays no further part in operation, except for a processing overhead which write file changes back to flash if changes are made. This is why the box takes so long to boot up, and why your 256Mb ram is not all available as main memory.

in my testing I have learnt each time experiencing problem I will do clean start instead of fixing problem
example scanning few hounded channels then downloading channel list will create problem
so best way do factory reset start again
or another way do back up of everything's you have saved.
after that do your experiment if problem > download your back up so all add-on and plugging are there

As I said above this image is seriously over-sized for the box. File systems start to slow down at about 80% and performance deteriorates dramatically at 90%. Linux is slightly more succeptable than Windows as the various disk formats manage data more dynamically. This image is 95% of rootfs before you add a single channel or addon. If an action appears to fail don't give up too soon as it could easily complete 10 minutes later.

Remember that Linux is 'son of Unix' and writes temporary files for many functions rather than keep it in memory - not necessarily to the /tmp directory either. But on this image it has about 2.7 Mb of drive space left.

After installing a swap file you will find it uses about 3 Mb of it when performing any disk related activity.

in my testing I have learnt each time experiencing problem I will do clean start instead of fixing problem

i do this every time, but i have shown to TM / UR that a fresh install does not get rid of everything from the previous install

example scanning few hounded channels then downloading channel list will create problem

it shouldnt though, as reloading the channel list, even after scanning, should delete all of the previous channel data, and replace it with the new downloaded list

This only deletes the channel lists, so should be renamed to 'Delete all channels'

UR disabled this function a long time ago, and without actually breaking in to, and replacing certain files, while working live on the receiver, you cannot create a backup, unless you are using a DW release, as i re-enabled this function in the DW-UR BETA images

after that do your experiment if problem > download your back up so all add-on and plugging are there

Unless you have the DW image, you wont have 'your own' backup to try this

WALOB, i have root memory useage of 96 % whether or not i factory reset.i have ALL my 4218 channels stored on my computer and reload back to TM800HD after reflashing.Anyhow unlimited channel storage is claimed on the box my TM800 was supplied in. 4218 is hardly memory busting is it.
Scanning satellites is not an experiment it is a NORMAL function of the box, who wants to keep green screening using the box as it is intended to be.

:grayno::grayno::grayno:

Last edited:
Hi,

Whats the verdict on all these new images? :Fish:

I'm still using ur 2-2-2011 image and it's working ok..... for watching tv, It's only has a few lags waiting for the menus now and again.

Have the bloated images made any advances with web the interface & multimedia elements etc? Is it a step backwards, like some of the posts seem to refer with channel storage problems and lack of usable memory.

Regards

stick DW 8th image on mate I don't think you will be disappointed
EPG and plugins etc

Back