30amp to 16amp

zad

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hello,

So cracking on with my kitchen plans, most of the 2 lots of tiles on the wall have been removed, we found the old cooker electrics which where still live behind a piece of wood and 2 tiles on top!!

So as we need to add a couple of sockets can I use that live feed and create a radial circuit? if so do I replace the 30amp with a 20amp MCB or just leave as 30amp?

You will need to replace MCB with 20amp with it being a radial circuit. What size cable is going from consumer unit to the socket? (I'm hoping it's greater than 2.5mm2).

What is intended to be plugged into these sockets?

If you were to return the to the consumer unit after the last socket then you could have kept it at 30amp as it would be a ring main, not to mention safer.

Or you can keep it on a 30 / 32 amp and wire the radial in 4 mm twin and earth cable.

You will need to replace MCB with 20amp with it being a radial circuit. What size cable is going from consumer unit to the socket? (I'm hoping it's greater than 2.5mm2).

What is intended to be plugged into these sockets?

If you were to return the to the consumer unit after the last socket then you could have kept it at 30amp as it would be a ring main, not to mention safer.

I think its 4mm going to the old cooker socket, they will just be general kitchen sockets, plan is for 2 double and a single, the single will be below the hob to power the auto ignite. It would be to much to get it back to the main unit its way across the house.

Or you can keep it on a 30 / 32 amp and wire the radial in 4 mm twin and earth cable.

I already have the 2.5mm so will drop it to 20amp but thanks for the tip.

I thought 4mm had been discontinued which is a pain because keeping it at 4mm would be lot safer than dropping it to 2.5mm :)

No mate , 4mm is alive and kicking . Would make it a lot easier fault finding on in the future with a 4 mm radial .

HI i have found that wiring in 4mm is much better on radials usually for 16?20 A circuits, always helps with any volt drop over long distance, certainly within commercial areas.

Back