3 RROD after 1 min

oxss

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, im having problems repairing an un modded box with RROD. Ive repaired a couple before so im pretty confident about the procedure but this Xbox is giving me loads of grief. Ive repaired it and it boots up fine but after about 1 min I get 3 RROD. The CPU Heat sink get really hot and the fan goes into over drive and then 3 RROD. If I leave the fan bowing over the CPU Heat sink it seems okay and the fan quietens down.

Ive tried changing the thermal paste about 3 times first thinking ive put too much then thinking I haven’t put enough but im getting the same problem. Does anyone know what else might be causing it to get so hot. Have I got a dodgy CPU Heat sink maybe?

Thanks in advance guys.

Hi Everyone, im having problems repairing an un modded box with RROD. Ive repaired a couple before so im pretty confident about the procedure but this Xbox is giving me loads of grief. Ive repaired it and it boots up fine but after about 1 min I get 3 RROD. The CPU Heat sink get really hot and the fan goes into over drive and then 3 RROD. If I leave the fan bowing over the CPU Heat sink it seems okay and the fan quietens down.

Ive tried changing the thermal paste about 3 times first thinking ive put too much then thinking I haven’t put enough but im getting the same problem. Does anyone know what else might be causing it to get so hot. Have I got a dodgy CPU Heat sink maybe?

Thanks in advance guys.

when you powerd the xbox on and the 3red lights show did you pull the fan and let it over heat and wait till just 2 red light show then power off and let cool down..

Hi johnboy, thanks for the fast reply.

The fan seems fine, theres no dents on it or anything like that. When I first had the 3 lights I lifted the CPU Heat sink and it went to two lights. I didn’t let it cool down for too long though. I may try it again.

Quick question, when I get the 3 red lights and lift the heat sink, do I life both heat sinks or just the CPU one to get 2 red lights.

When i did my xbox i just took it all apart then cleaned it all up then replaced the Thermal Compound then put both the cpu and gpu back on and screwed it all back together..

Then i powered the xbox on with out the fan plugged in the 3 red lights showed then i left it till just 2 red light showed then powered it off..then i left the xbox till it was cold then plugged fan back in then powered it back up and so far is been ok...

You should not have to lifted the cpu or the gpu m8

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn’t completely lift them, i left them loose (Not screwed). To be honest I usually do pretty much what you said in the last post but i usually leave the screws a little loose and tighten them up after.

Ill give it another go as you said and ill report back. Cheers

Hi johnboy,

I put the box back together and it booted up fine, so I left it to overheat but this time I got 2 red lights straight away. I left it for about 1 min and now im letting it cool down.

Do you know why i might be getting 2 lights now instead of 3? Also I was looking into a Falcon CPU Heatsink which i will try also.

Hi johnboy,

I put the box back together and it booted up fine, so I left it to overheat but this time I got 2 red lights straight away. I left it for about 1 min and now im letting it cool down.

Do you know why i might be getting 2 lights now instead of 3? Also I was looking into a Falcon CPU Heatsink which i will try also.
you got 2 red lights because u didnt put the video lead in to the xbox

now did u

Hi David,

I had it all plugged in and I was on the dashboard when i got 2 red lights. After it cooled down I booted it up and it took a lot longer this time to give me RROD, about 15min and this time I got 3 red and eventually went to 2 red so I think now ill leave it to cool down over night and check it out tomorrow.

Ill report back tomorrow with the results.

Thanks again guys!

When you power the xbox on if you get 2red light after doing the rrodfix it could be down to the bolts ect been over tightend..on the cpu...gpu m8

when i did my xbox i got new x-clamps from ebay i did not use the bolt and washer trick..

any where the fan is going to fast in my experience is the black blastic spacer underneath the motherboard between the xclamp worn or melted down a bit
put a bit of plastic inbetween the xclamp and the spacer and it should fix it

Hey Guys, i booted up the Xbox this morning only to find the same problems. The fan goes into over drive after 1 min. If i leave the fan bowing on the CPU heat sink it works fine for about 30 min on dashboard then i get fuzz across the screen which seems like the GPU overheats.

Also i am not using the x clamps, im using the screw method, also ive tried to loosen the CPU screws as i thought maybe they are too tight but still the same. The only thing i would say that is different with this repair is that i got sent different screws, these screws arnt countersunk screws which i got before.

I have ordered a new flacon CPU heatsink which i will try as im all out of ideas now, i am also gonna try and get the same screws as i used before. Will post back with the results.

Any other suggestions are appreciated and also thanks for all your help guys.

Last edited:
Back