2mm

justintime

Inactive User
Reaction score
i know this may sound like a stupid question to you mechanics out there, but would 2mm make a difference on a drive belt.
i ask because, against my better judgement i got a guy from the end of the rd to fit an alternator & drive belt to my 54 pug partner 1.9d van.
first of all he couldn't do the alternator, because he couldn't get a good fit with an allen key into the botton rt bolt on it. (i thought all mechanics had a way around this sh!t?) then i said well just change the belt then. first of all the belt that came off was a 6pk 1680, the nearest size i could get was a 1675. he said it was too tight to get on. 5mm, dont they stretch? so next i found somewhere that did a 1678, that didnt fit either, surely that should do it? 2mm on a belt 1678mm in length. he told me to get a 1685 "that will def fit & the tensioner will take up the slack", fook me he now says too slack.
i am hoping you are going to tell me he is right & not just a d*ckhead, who has been wasting my time. i was going to do it myself, but i am out at work all day & i thought "horses for courses" let him do what he does & i'll get on with what i do.
i have seen the guy working on lots of cars as i pass, i'm now wondering if i've asked his twin brother to work on mine!
btw the guy doesnt drive & i have had to phone around in between jobs, to scource the belts & get my now p!ssed off brother to run around fetching them. he's had my van for 5 days now & i have told him to just put the f*ckin old frayed belt on, just so i can have my van back.
so a 2 hour job? has took 5 days, to leave me in the same position i was in, in the first place. alternator & belt unchanged !! :(

if i recall correctly thre are 2 allen keys
one for adjuster and one in the middle of the pulley
you loosen both to make adjustment by turning the bottom one till the belt tightens
it might actually be two allen keys and a torx 45 but from memory cant quite remember exactly
but mo i dont think 2 mm would be drastic ?

gee the guy the manual then tell him to go to feckin skool and learn how to put nut in monkey mouth there are 2 bolts like the other guy said

thanks for the replies. the answers are as i thought. if i was doing a job for someone & it was a bit difficult, i'm sure i would find a way to do it !
the allen bolt was bad enough to fail on, but 2mm on a belt thats over 1.6m ffs it cant be hard.
i was going to get him to do the brakes for me, dont think so now. bloody hell i'd be sh1t scared to use them lol. thats if he could fit them..

Back