22v mains LED Strip lights - safe?

DodgyTech

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
In the past, I've bought 12v LED strip lights that use an LED driver. However, searching for some more to use on the kitchen plinth, I found the following on eBay: Cool White LED Strip 220V 240V IP68 Waterproof 3528 SMD Commercial Lights Rope | eBay

I haven't been able to find anything on the net to tell me if they are safe or not apart from details saying that they are safe because of the thick IP68 coating. I'm guessing there's a transformer of some sort in the plug that converts the AC current to DC. If so, I'm worried that the transformer would be the unsafe part. I'm looking to run the lights in parallel on opposite sides of the kitchen from the ceiling light mains, so I want to be absolutely sure on the safety.

Can anyone help or point me to some advice?

They run off the mains Pimped so don't use a transformer. No experience of these personally but the write up and the sellers 99.6% rating in over 28k transactions is quite convincing. The IP68 only alludes to the ingress protection and has nothing to do with it's electrical safety apart from isolating it from water.

It does say later on in the listing that it comes with a 13A plug fitted, so there's a possibility there is some voltage dropping going on in there. Not a problem as such but bear in mind if you may have to incorporate this somehow when feeding it from the ceiling supply.

Thanks guys. I have to split it to 3 areas of the kitchen, not 2. I'll go ahead and get this. I guess it should be fine as I just remembered that I have GU10 Led lights that run off the mains, so I know it's not a new concept to be afraid of

I would be very surprised if these lights did not have a transformer somewhere...

I won't use 12v Leds - I only use 24v

and I would never use 230v strip,

If you are looking for a good brand - reasonable costing too you won't go far wrong with TEUCER. They have a very nice 24v 2700k (warm white) 4.8w per meter strip.

Mick

Any links to retailer please?

Sent from my HTC One M9PLUS using Forum Fiend v1.3.3.

Back