2 modems on 1 connection

i-zombie

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hello guys im on aol ive got one connected fine but ive got 2 pcs connected using ics,thing is my speed sucks ass when sharing,ive also got another modem again same bt 105 voyager,i was just wondering if i was to set up my other modem on the same bt line wether it would be any faster,or wether i should keep using ics

Right simple answer to ure question.
You need to give us a bit more info.

What do u mean by sharing? Peer to Peer (limewire etc), thru the network?

For ure main question to the best of my knowledge u cannot have 2 modems simultaniously using 1 ADSL line.

They work more like a dial up they phone using 0,38 the local exchange. It the same as not making 2 voice calls on one line. You could always put in another line from bt and then u gunna need a new account.
Im almost 100% sure trying to log on twice on the same account is stopped. (never tried).

Goto ADSLguide they got some good info and tuts

I do not think that ure modem is the bottleneck.

Do u use USB to connect ure modem to the computer or does it go in via Ethernet. If it is USB perhaps get a new router/modem or a router that allows USB modem connection. USB needs far more processing power to use and slower machines will slow down when connecting via it.
If it is ethernet then a router still a good idea.

i meant sharing the internet connection on both pcs,thru an ethernet cable,but when i originally signed up 4 aol they sent me 2 modems by mistake,i just wondered if using one modem for each pc would give me better download speed than using ics

i used ICS a few years back and found some things were a bit slow (like both PCs pinging game servers at the same time) but on the whole the speed and latency was decent.

if you want to kill the peer2peer part out, get yourself a broadband router, this will do the sharing part for you and you can plug all PCs into it with standard cat.5e straight cables (rather than patching your other PC in with an x-over cable and spare network card).

I dont think ICS is ure problem. Ethernet uses very little resources within ure computer.

i use ICS cause of my gigabit NIC's and me not bothering to buy a Gigabit router.

Speed test used ADSL guide.

On the ICS Host i got
  • 8,689.7Kbsp Down
  • 480.9 Kbps Up

On the ICS client machine i got
  • 8,930.6 Kbps Down
  • 480.0 Kbps Up.

Ok so im on gigabit but i have never had any problems even when I ran a old NT server with 10Mbps UTP.

Back