Routers 1000Mbit Home Network - Transmitting at 100Mb from PC to Nas Drive

Mick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It does not really bother me that my network is kinda of running at 100MB,

Well it would seem that anyway...

I have a 1000Mbit netgear network unmanaged switch, 1000Mbit network card in the PC, Internet connected to my draytek 1000Mbit Port (port1 on switch), 1000Mbit Nas Drive.

Which is the bottleneck lol, I was going to use wireshark and do some logging but thought I would put this to you guys and stimulate some discussion possibly :)

I Would believe that the router should not really be called into play here to be fair as the switch is unmanaged and the traffic is all Layer 2 (mac addy transfer)

When transferring files from my PC to my NAS it will only go to a maximum of 100Mbit...

I am going with the PC and the transfer rate speed (I have an I7 with 8Gb of Ram)

Cheers

Mick

when copy files to the NAS what speeds are you getting ?

Keep in mind, Windows 7 reports transfer speeds in Megabytes per second (MBps) not Megabits per second (Mbps). 1000 Mbps is equivalent to about 125 MBps..

Last edited:
Some NIC - router combinations don't detect the link at 1000Mb correctly. What do the LEDs do? There will be some that indicate the link speed.

They are green for the 1gb speed :)

I am just running wireshark, and it looks like the Nas drive is the issue,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some hints in the above. For maximum 'smoke' it's best to avoid 'auto' on speed. Better to manually configure and test different options to determine what gives maximum performance.

One of the problems with using tools such as Wireshark to measure network speeds is the 'undetermined' element.

It's probably best to shut down all traffic and move several files of known sizes between points and measure the times?

I was using wireshark for storms and collisions etc, not for transfer speeds ;).

Found my Sonos Unit was bouncing data all round the place...

Mick

I was using wireshark for storms and collisions etc, not for transfer speeds ;).

Found my Sonos Unit was bouncing data all round the place...

Mick

It's fixed now?

Incidentally, the broadcast storm is worth chasing using Wireshark but collisions are rarely an issue because you would need a HUGE amount of traffic to generate a sufficient number of collisions to have a noticeable effect. Unless, of course, you were running mismatched duplex?

Not Fixed lol, but MY apple TV does not stutter anymore when watching 8GB and bigger files anymore :)

I am not really that bothered because 10MB is pretty quick!

Just a little annoying lol.

Mick

In a switched network it's sometimes useful to set the device to fixed speed/duplex (start at 100Mbps, half) and see how the switch copes. Then push up until something breaks.

The reason collisions are not very interesting is because you have multiple 'collision domains' i.e. each device and its connected switch port is a 'collision domain' so collisions (which are normal any way) never cross to other switch ports. The same applies to broadcasts.

The vast majority of issues with throughput on these types of networks is usually massive auto-negotiation traffic. Hence, fix the device speed/duplex and let the switches auto! Or fix the switch (whichever is easier).

Corporate IT network rule 1 M8 :)

Yeah I was under the impression layer two just passed MAC addresses to put it loosely :). It's unmanaged too

So configuration would need to be done on the machines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back