1 harddrive 2 partions help please ?

Jooooles

DW Regular +
Reaction score
ok im trying to wipe my sons lappy a samsung NP-NC10 thing is it has no disk tray so it must be a usb pen boot

big problems for me I have put a xp pro disc on the pen (stay with me please)

the hard drive in the computer is split into 2 partitions C and D the it has xp home on drice c and media on drive D

I dont want to keep any files on the computer at all as ive backed them up and saved the drivers

but when I boot the new new xp pro of the pen it gives me no options to fully format the drives hence it installes the xp pro of the pen onto drive D

then i have 2 os on one drive no good as there both unstable

how do I get the full harddrive back to one drive C with the full 160gb volume and formatt it and boot a new windows os on it I dont want to crash his lappy completely and end up paying a shop a fortune to fix it

Ive formatted drive d and deleted it but I loose the volume its shows as unallocated

can anyone please help my heads done in I take it I some how have to join drive c and d back together formatt it then install the new os

any help chaps please

Normally when at the Blue screens during the XP install, and it asks you where you want to install XP, you would just delete (following instructions/key presses on screen) the partitions, then let XP create one large partition and format it...

Can't see it being any different if being done via USB...?

Last edited:
Normally when at the Blue screens during the XP install, and it asks you where you want to install XP, you would just delete (following instructions/key presses on screen) the partitions, then let XP create one large partition and format it...

Can't see it being any different if being done via USB...?

when I try and install the xp pro files of the usb pen It gives me no option to delete drive D it just installs one os on the drive on top of the other

it does warn me that the xp pro im installing is older then the one on the sytem maybe a new vista might help me out im busy looking for one to stick my pen

when I try and install the xp pro files of the usb pen It gives me no option to delete drive D it just installs one os on the drive on top of the other

I've not done it myself off a USB drive mate, but normally you'd use the down arrow on to the D: Drive and delete, then move up to the C: Drive, delete that, and then allow it to create one whole partition/drive...

I'll have a play tomorrow if you still need help, I'll try it on my lappy.

Off to bed now..

I've not done it myself off a USB drive mate, but normally you'd use the down arrow on to the D: Drive and delete, then move up to the C: Drive, delete that, and then allow it to create one whole partition/drive...

I'll have a play tomorrow if you still need help, I'll try it on my lappy.

Off to bed now..

cheers m8 i will wait till tomorra then cos im stuck lol

Does the lappy still get to windows? If so you can make the drive into one by going into disk management. Delete D: and extend C:

If not your xp usb should allow you to delete the partition and choose where to install xp. I can't remember instructions but its something like press d then l to confirm deleting partition.

Option 3, I have a Asus 1000h similar netbook with no cd drive. I was able to put the restore cd go onto usb and restore that way. Its basically an aimage on disk, you should be able to do the same with the sammy if you have the restore cd. These are instructions I used, it should be similar but you need to find the equivalent for sammy Eee PC 1000H Recovery from USB Flash Drive myeeeguides.wordpress.com

Does the lappy still get to windows? If so you can make the drive into one by going into disk management. Delete D: and extend C:

If not your xp usb should allow you to delete the partition and choose where to install xp. I can't remember instructions but its something like press d then l to confirm deleting partition.

Option 3, I have a Asus 1000h similar netbook with no cd drive. I was able to put the restore cd go onto usb and restore that way. Its basically an aimage on disk, you should be able to do the same with the sammy if you have the restore cd. These are instructions I used, it should be similar but you need to find the equivalent for sammy Eee PC 1000H Recovery from USB Flash Drive myeeeguides.wordpress.com

this recovery is a good idea Im looking for somewhere to download the recovery disc now cheers

does anybody know How I can reallocate drive D back into drive C

I have deleted drive D so its now just saying its unallocated when I goto options to name the drive it only gives the d e f g etc no c

????????????????????

Hi. Does the laptop have a Floppy drive. If so download a WIN98 Boot disk of the net, I'm Sure if you google it you should find one. boot with that, when on the command promt type "FDISK"(without quotes). Then just delete all partions. once that is done create 1 partition make it active. reboot with xp disk ....DONE.

Hi. Does the laptop have a Floppy drive. If so download a WIN98 Boot disk of the net, I'm Sure if you google it you should find one. boot with that, when on the command promt type "FDISK"(without quotes). Then just delete all partions. once that is done create 1 partition make it active. reboot with xp disk ....DONE.

I assume that "no disc tray" means no drives except the HDD. and "fdisk" with no commands will not do the trick either, especially if the drive is NTFS. you would need to add the "mbr" command!

I assume that "no disc tray" means no drives except the HDD. and "fdisk" with no commands will not do the trick either, especially if the drive is NTFS. you would need to add the "mbr" command!

Its one of them mini lappys theres no Floppy disk only 3 usb ports and a 16pin r32 monitor connection ?

does anybody know How I can reallocate drive D back into drive C

I have deleted drive D so its now just saying its unallocated when I goto options to name the drive it only gives the d e f g etc no c

????????????????????

Get into disk management. Right click my computer and click manage or properties. You should see device manager, then along the left theres an option for disk management. Right click C and click extend. You should be able to extend the volume and make it the full 160gb.

I usually assume "no disk tray" to mean cd/dvd because that is actually a tray.
and if fdisk is run it will find the drive as a non dos drive.
But with no floppy this isn't much help.

I usually assume "no disk tray" to mean cd/dvd because that is actually a tray.
and if fdisk is run it will find the drive as a non dos drive.
But with no floppy this isn't much help.

no tray and booting from a USB, gives a good indication, to me, of a lack of a floppy. but i do take your point.

fdisk will indeed find it as a dos drive, it wont fix the problem without the MBR option being used though.

no tray and booting from a USB, gives a good indication, to me, of a lack of a floppy. but i do take your point.

fdisk will indeed find it as a dos drive, it wont fix the problem without the MBR option being used though.

Fair point:Cheers:

ok I tried to load a new windows onto the lappy but now All I get is an error

NTDLR is missing woops this isnt good is it how do I load a new OS on to it

Back