£1200 60inch plasma or projector

Jooooles

DW Regular +
Reaction score
Ive kinda been saving up for a large tv in the bedroom but a few posts have caught my eye about projectors ?

I have saved about £1200 and was going to go for a 60inch lg plasma but after reading a few threads I am in to minds about buying a projector its for the bedroom so in guessing the projector will be easy to install as the wires are going straight up in the loft ?

Ive never seen one of the latest projectors in action whats the pic quality like ?

Picture Quality of a Modern HiDef Projector is excellent, But IMHO a projector is not an ideal choice for a Bedroom, as the Lamp has to be cooled with a fan and it is likely you won't be pumping the volume (maybe pumping somthing else LOL) the fan noise can be a pain. You do tune it out but still something to bear in mind.

For a Bedroom I like the BedBoxes with a lift which rasies the screen when viewing and looks like a piece of furniture when not in use. Not Cheap though.

Picture Quality of a Modern HiDef Projector is excellent, But IMHO a projector is not an ideal choice for a Bedroom, as the Lamp has to be cooled with a fan and it is likely you won't be pumping the volume (maybe pumping somthing else LOL) the fan noise can be a pain. You do tune it out but still something to bear in mind.

For a Bedroom I like the BedBoxes with a lift which rasies the screen when viewing and looks like a piece of furniture when not in use. Not Cheap though.

Thats my budget im afraid so the bed box is out £1200 for a 60 inch plasma is the cheapest ive found LG so I may go with that and then just box it off with sliding doors

I hope the girlfreind likes it lol :proud:

go for a projector for ya main room mate, then use your plasma out the main room for your bedroom!

not a bad idea big hol but my sitting room is so small, and I have a fire place with a breast, I have a 50 inch plasma there and it looks huge, I couldnt go bigger unless I cap the fire of and plaster, but It might not look right It would look bare

nee good that then, looks like its a plasma in the wardrobe, lol!

Lizzard, if it's mainly for gaming use i'd say go for the plasma.

If you plan on watching movies, TV and play games on it I'd buy a PJ for sure. Mits PJ's are extremely quiet and the budget ones are excellent. Also you may want to check out the Optoma HD65 and it's newer sibling which can be picked up for under £500. There are many great budget PJ's around which throw a pciture better than high end PJ's of yesteryear. Pull the trigger and but one, you won't regret it.

If it were my money I'd invest in a new budget PJ for £500 and wait for the TV to come down in price. There really aren't many 50" TV's that are great so a 60"er would offer a worst picture quality, so it really isn't an upgrade in real terms.

Lizzard, if it's mainly for gaming use i'd say go for the plasma.

If you plan on watching movies, TV and play games on it I'd buy a PJ for sure. Mits PJ's are extremely quiet and the budget ones are excellent. Also you may want to check out the Optoma HD65 and it's newer sibling which can be picked up for under £500. There are many great budget PJ's around which throw a pciture better than high end PJ's of yesteryear. Pull the trigger and but one, you won't regret it.

If it were my money I'd invest in a new budget PJ for £500 and wait for the TV to come down in price. There really aren't many 50" TV's that are great so a 60"er would offer a worst picture quality, so it really isn't an upgrade in real terms.

Thanks for the advice monkey mate Im holding out for now I always jump in feet first and regret it the tv is for movies mate and the use of sky cable etc only.

Is there anywhere I could see a new projector in action any stores you know of that have a display I wouldnt want to end up with a dull gray grainy image like the local pub.

I think thats what most people think of as soon a pj is mentioned but I have read posts that you can actually get a quality picture I,ve just never saw one.

Not sure about the local demo's, do you live close to a Sevenoaks Hifi? They always have HT demo's in house with lots of different projectors.

Even dim projectors (appx 600 lumens+) throw fantastically bright images in partially light controlled rooms. I think you're in for a shock, dim looking Pj's went out of fashion back in the 90's, we've been spoilt ever since.

£500 is the entry level sweet spot and for this you'll get something that will blow you away more than one of your new girlfriends, I promise ;) That's why I haven't had a new GF in over 20 years, technology has never been so good.

Not sure about the local demo's, do you live close to a Sevenoaks Hifi? They always have HT demo's in house with lots of different projectors.

Even dim projectors (appx 600 lumens+) throw fantastically bright images in partially light controlled rooms. I think you're in for a shock, dim looking Pj's went out of fashion back in the 90's, we've been spoilt ever since.

£500 is the entry level sweet spot and for this you'll get something that will blow you away more than one of your new girlfriends, I promise ;) That's why I haven't had a new GF in over 20 years, technology has never been so good.

I bottled out and bought another LG 50 plasma I seen them in currys for £650 and couldnt resist I paid a grand for me last one.

I had intentions of bying the 60inch but for less then half the price I was happy.

However when I do the sitting room next year im gonna loose the fire and stuff and stick a projector in, Thanks for all the info though Ive recommended one to my sister as she has a bigger sitting room, just hopes she doesnt ask me to install it lol

Back