Upgrading vu+solo2 clone to accept genuine untouched images

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pity.

Another possible thing to explore if maybe getting a proper serial card for your desktop or even getting a dock for your laptop, sometimes the docks are dirt cheap but dependant on the laptop, I got mine for my laptop for under ten quid but my the dock for my sons laptop cost around 40 notes.

Pretty much impossible as I'm using an iMac and a MacBook Pro, with Windows (XP and 7) temporaraly installed on Bootcamp. So USB to serial is the only option, I don't know anyone that has a Windows PC old enough to have a built in serial port.

I have made ​​a USB to RS232 adapter W7 and it went very well

Keep in mind and its pointed put many time that
1. Null modem cable and VU solo is diffrent
2. its has settings like this
2-----------------------1
3-----------------------6
5-----------------------5
Hey guys, figured I'd give you a quick update. My Solo2 clone is still stuck at booting after a successful FPGA update, but is not able to complete the update.exe procedure.

I took a multimeter to the serial cable that came with the box and I can confirm the pin connections are as shown above (that has been apparently been pointed out many times ;)). Other pins are not connected.

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

As update.exe is a command-line utility, it does not adhere to the settings (baud rate, etc.) you set in device manager. To see and set COM-port settings for a command-line utility you can use the 'mode' command:
Code:
It appears however, that even if you change these settings, running the update.exe forces the settings to the (correct) settings by itself (as shown above). So that shouldn't be an issue for anyone.

However, of course, and by now apparently I'm not the only one anymore, my box does not update successfully. Do other peoples' boxes still boot though, however? Mine is stuck forever at 'Starting..' on the VDF display.

Code:
...and nothing happens.

I've just bought a usb adapter to S232 and I've put in W7 that has S232 and it has worked very well. Cable that comes with the clone # 2 to number 1 to deco and pin receiver that I purchased and completely normal.

However, of course, and by now apparently I'm not the only one anymore, my box does not update successfully. Do other peoples' boxes still boot though, however? Mine is stuck forever at 'Starting..' on the VDF display.

Code:
...and nothing happens.

Mine still boots fine after failing to perform the update. I have had the odd time where it gets stuck at 'Starting...', but that happened before even trying to update my clone. When this does happen I just reinstall my backup image and it normally boots ok after that. When I first got my Solo2 clone I found the HDD was causing problems with it getting stuck at 'starting...'. You should remove a HDD if you have one installed and see if it boots. If it does use a PC to remove the partition on the HDD, and then put it back into the solo2 and let it format the HDD

I followed all the steps successfully.

When I installed 2.9.0.1 BH reboot gave me the "H / W Error"

I tried to reload BH FW 2.8 but always the same problem on reboot "H / W Error".

I tried to BH 2.7 and now go.

How can I fix?

thanks

I followed all the steps successfully.

When I installed 2.9.0.1 BH reboot gave me the "H / W Error"

I tried to reload BH FW 2.8 but always the same problem on reboot "H / W Error".

I tried to BH 2.7 and now go.

How can I fix?

thanks

The answer is then that you have not carried out the steps successfully.
Post what steps you did so we know where you went wrong.

hi AJT

I have a doubt
effect when updating the FPGA decoder to the above I have the BH 2.7

can this be the problem?

On the decoder is installed the original firmware BH 2.7

Upgrade FPGA from USB FAT 32

After I make Upgrading hardware and this is the result

View attachment 79987

After I install the original fimware BH 2.9.0.1

When you restart the "H / W Error"

Where am I wrong?

When update.exe is running is the box switched off and powered off at that stage? Or are you running update.exe and then restarting the box?

When update.exe is running is the box switched off and powered off at that stage? Or are you running update.exe and then restarting the box?

Update.exe is running
Box is switched off

Inviato dal mio GT-N7100 con Tapatalk 2

In the screenshot, is each of the start download messages an attempt to do an upgrade. What I mean by this is you run update.exe, then power the box, does the box then boot up as normal failing to do the update or does it sit there while update.exe tries again and again to do the update?

If you are leaving update.exe running then close it and restart it with each attempt.

I do not do anything, start update.exe and then turn on the box and what is the result that comes out.

Use a null-modem cable I use to update a DM600 and DM800

can be a cable problem?

You can't use a null-modem cable, you have to use the cable that came with the solo2.

It's been said before and I'll say it again, a cable is not a cable is not a cable so you can't just pick up the nearest cable that happens to have the correct ends.

Recapitulate what I did if it can be useful:

- Reset STB with BH 2.0.7 Firmware

- Updated FPGA with usb stick formatted to FAT32, as written in the guide.

- Off the decoder.

- Connected to the PC via a serial cable on COM 1.

- UPDATE.EXE started as administrator (using Windows 8.1 PRO 64 Bit)

- Turned on the decoder and after 1 second came this:

View attachment 79991

I confirm after changing the null-modem cable.

I followed this scheme to make the cable:

PC-------------------STB

I highly recommend to those who suffer from the controller serial cable and use this scheme.

Now I installed the BH 2.9.0.1 without any problem !!!

Thank you all for the help !!!

Great FORUM !!!

Great TEAM !!!

Ciaooooo a tutti.

ps.
for AJT
I suggest you include in the guidance of the first page, the pattern of the serial cable to use, and to specify that no you can not upgrade the hardware.

I confirm after changing the null-modem cable.

I followed this scheme to make the cable:

PC-------------------STB

I highly recommend to those who suffer from the controller serial cable and use this scheme.

Now I installed the BH 2.9.0.1 without any problem !!!

Thank you all for the help !!!

Great FORUM !!!

Great TEAM !!!

Ciaooooo a tutti.

ps.
for AJT
I suggest you include in the guidance of the first page, the pattern of the serial cable to use, and to specify that no you can not upgrade the hardware.[/QUOTE]

@banditus If you read the tutorial correctly you will see it states to use the cable that came with box,also this has been posted numerous times.Try reading through this thread..its posted a page back.
AJT

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back