Remember Maggie

Imported coal cost less because the wages they pay the people in those countries are so low - which makes it even more disgraceful to import it.

Moralizing is fine, but people who sit in the cold and dark, because of fuel costs, are unlikely to share your view.

just my final point on the subject...
I cant recall anyone ( and i dont mean here). who has ever liked any prime minister..
gordon and tony wanted us to join the euro! can u imagine the devistating impact...
Margaret was in power 11 + years,, the people voted her in government.
thats what elections are for,
She was someones mom andi for one will show her respect..
we will all be dead one day!!!!! remember that

just my final point on the subject...
I cant recall anyone ( and i dont mean here). who has ever liked any prime minister..
gordon and tony wanted us to join the euro! can u imagine the devistating impact...
Margaret was in power 11 + years,, the people voted her in government.
thats what elections are for,
She was someones mom andi for one will show her respect..
we will all be dead one day!!!!! remember that

The people of Scotland never voted her in , in those 11 years of tyranny

This is a fairly old thread, so it's worth quoting something I posted on it a couple of years ago.

I don't think many of our English members can quite appreciate just how much this woman was hated and despised north of the border.

I don't agree with dancing on anyone's grave, but I'm afraid I'm not going to mourn her. In fact, I'd really rather forget her.

I doubt if the media will let me though. : grim :

just one thing.. what about the last 11 years of Labour...
its a Fact they drove us too the brink of ruin.
unless you want to be the likes of greece/cyprus/spain.....
And as for the celebration. in Brixton for some last night..
It shows the scum for what they are,, they even started to Loot shops !!

The money was given to local government, not back to national government. It was down to the local council what they did with the money.

Companies which are only making money because of the improvements in efficiency which would never have happened if the unions still had control.

Sorta agree with that, there could have been a better compromise but it takes two to tango and the unions weren't interested in negotiating either.

Anybody is welcome to re-open those industries, I wonder why they don't ? As for coal, yes its expensive to import but still cheaper then domestically produced, however I believe there is some interested in expanding surface mining in the UK,

UK miners hit by cheap coal, dear diesel despite demand jump | Reuters

Having worked in the car industry, car production in the UK in the 70's was a joke. Why do you think foreign produced cars quickly outsold UK produced ones ?

Wake up and smell the roses, nobody wanted to buy British goods, crap quality and high prices. UK was no longer a industrial superpower, still living in the past of 'empire' that it stole.

A war that could have been avoided.

Lol

Then money was partially given back to local councils and they were not allowed to use it to build new v
council housing.

The Companies making money because of improved efficiency are doing so because of good management which would only have come about by restructuring, as for the Unions not allowing it I did state that they needed reigning in and compromise should have been the result, but both sides were being pig headed.

Our Heavy Industries have all been desimated and most no longer exist so it would be impossible to say if we could produce these commodities for less because we do not know how much investment would have been used to update what even then were outdated methods.

I also worked in the Motor Industry during the 70's and 80's ( and also in other years since then). The biggest problem with the UK Motor Industry at that time was that the Companies did not wish to invest in new equipment or innovation, Vauhall's during the 70's and 80's were using some equipment installed during the 50's and it had been 2nd hand when it was installed.
I remember some of the foreign imports at the time; Skoda and Lada, yeah they were real quality back then................................It wasn't until the Japanese first started importing in large numbers here that our cars began to be outsold and it was mainly because of cost (because the Japanese Cars at the time were quite basic) and they certainly were not of outstanding quality against British cars at the time.

Wake up and smell the roses, British Goods were and are mainly of good quality and that was part of the reason for the higher price. It was and still is the self-deprecation of Britsh Goods by the British people that is one of the worst problems.
And at the time Britain was still one of the World's Superpowers as far as Industry was concerned, but there was reluctance by management to re-invest and instead just milk the profits for personal gain.

A War that could have been avoided.........................have I not suggested that by stating about the ignored warnings, even from a "Survival" film crew ?

Lol.................................Because it is True ?

This is a fairly old thread, so it's worth quoting something I posted on it a couple of years ago.

I don't agree with dancing on anyone's grave, but I'm afraid I'm not going to mourn her. In fact, I'd really rather forget her.

I doubt if the media will let me though. : grim :

in two weeks time this will have been a distant memory

unless you want to be the likes of greece/cyprus/spain.....
And as for the celebration. in Brixton for some last night..
It shows the scum for what they are,, they even started to Loot shops !!

The 11yrs of Labour as you put inherited the Tory Policies and never reversed them not even the bad ones.
you cant blame it all on one party as they are all bad as each other.
No excuse for looting of shops regardless of the situation.

and whos footing the bill for the funeral ? answers on a postcard !

Maggie was great! She was my Prime Minister, I grew up with her in power and I feel she has made me a better person today. She was decisive, strong and caring. Yes she did some things that didn't please everyone but hey that's life. She had the country's best interests at heart. Unlike nowadays when all it is about is standing in parliament and giving a speech to look good in the media and then doing nothing to back it up.

If you were in the forces or had a member of family in the forces at that time I'm guessing you appreciated her more.

As for Scotland, look where she got you in the end, she gave you your independence!

Without her I would never have been able to buy my own house. She wasn't afraid of public opinion, look at Poll Tax. Nobody likes to pay taxes but here we are 30 years on being taxed to the eyeballs again.

Don't forget she was voted in by people for 3 general elections and was only ousted by her own party who didn't have the balls to give the country the big shake up it required, and unfortunately needs again.

Maggie was great! She was my Prime Minister, I grew up with her in power and I feel she has made me a better person today. She was decisive, strong and caring. Yes she did some things that didn't please everyone but hey that's life. She had the country's best interests at heart. Unlike nowadays when all it is about is standing in parliament and giving a speech to look good in the media and then doing nothing to back it up.

If you were in the forces or had a member of family in the forces at that time I'm guessing you appreciated her more.

As for Scotland, look where she got you in the end, she gave you your independence!

Without her I would never have been able to buy my own house. She wasn't afraid of public opinion, look at Poll Tax. Nobody likes to pay taxes but here we are 30 years on being taxed to the eyeballs again.

Don't forget she was voted in by people for 3 general elections and was only ousted by her own party who didn't have the balls to give the country the big shake up it required, and unfortunately needs again.

I'll take one point here
why would you not have been able to buy a house, without Maggi thatcher? ( i can promises you people did buy houses prior to her election.)
especially considering that average wages are close to 400% , in real terms, lower than in 1978.

I'll take one point here
why would you not have been able to buy a house, without Maggi thatcher? ( i can promises you people did buy houses prior to her election.)
especially considering that average wages are close to 400% , in real terms, lower than in 1978.

I am guessing right to buy scheme which offered discounts or 40% or more if you lived in that council house for a long period.

Also I just looked this up and right now the average cost of a house vs average wage is very close to what it was in 1985.

It might be worth your while spending some time studying British political history over the last thirty years rather than churning out recycled 'Daily Mail' propaganda.

Why was she staying at the Ritz?

Because she had the money to do so !!

It was apparently "safer" for her there than in her own home.......................somebody at her beck and call to wait on her hand and foot !
She would not have wanted to go into a Nursing Home like a "normal" person (despite the fact the people in these places tend to be at the wealthier end of the spectrum) and be treated just like anyone else.

Last edited:

Not sure if drunk or being hugely sarcastic?

But if this is a heartfelt post then I'm stunned! Had the country's best interests at heart? Poll Tax?

you've gave me a helluva laugh if nothing else, you won't mind paying for the £10m+ funeral either?

Not sure if drunk or being hugely sarcastic?

But if this is a heartfelt post then I'm stunned! Had the country's best interests at heart? Poll Tax?

you've gave me a helluva laugh if nothing else, you won't mind paying for the £10m+ funeral either?

A bit puzzled myself. I'm assuming it was a wind-up?

Because she had the money to do so !!

It was apparently "safer" for her there than in her own home.......................somebody at her beck and call to wait on her hand and foot !
She would not have wanted to go into a Nursing Home like a "normal" person (despite the fact the people in these places tend to be at the wealthier end of the spectrum) and be treated just like anyone else.

She did not pay for it she was the 'guest' of the Ritz's owners......

Back