Remember Maggie

I'd rather pay Poll Tax now than Council Tax. A service should cost the same now matter how big your house is. The cost of emptying a bin, is the same as the cost for emptying a bin. (I know it's more detailed than that)

Don't forget the huge debt the country owed before she came in to power and how she reduced it by nearly £50b. The lowest it had been since 1912. Considering now we owe over £1t I doubt we will ever see another leader (Labour or Conservative) willing to stand against the few for the benefit of the many and reduce this.

man you have no idea the national debt, as a proportion for GDP, was bigger than now for 10 of the 11 years of her premiership.
indeed for most of the (lamentable) new Labour government, the national debt was slashed from that left by Majors government.
under maggie
virtually all the revenues of north sea oil want on supporting the burgeoning unemployment line.
a line that reaches to today.
how do you thing the welfare dependency state started. it was not under any Labour government!

on our previous conversion, I do agree with the right to buy.
firstly houses, atm, are vastly over priced, a direct result of the restriction by her government, at the moment
but it should have been backed up with a program of house building (YES even council house building). instead of ring fencing billions of £ of therefore useless money.

you will forgive me if i point out, ONE man on average wage could afford the AVERAGE house, in 1978.
now 2 people on average wage fall short (on the 3x income scale)
we now are now resplendent in the knowledge that 80% of the uk population earn less than 4x the average wage of 1978 =£20,000 the vast proportion of that @ under £16.000.
Yep progress, but only for a very few.

though it sticks in my craw, she did do many great things:
Here stance on Europe, though over theatrical, was correct and resolute.
She wholeheartedly, supported the Welfare State (she would have been sunk without it).
She was instrumental in the demise of the Soviet block (an achievement, however evil i think she was, that requires lauding)

one thing she was not guilty of was stealing the milk form kids. she was vehemently against this policy, seeing it as both a vote loser and bad for child health.
though the minister in charge, it was not her doing.

Last edited:
man you have no idea the national debt, as a proportion for GDP, was bigger than now for 10 of the 11 years of her premiership.

Sorry but I beg to differ on that statement. The UK National debt was never this big in percentage terms of GDP whilst Maggie was in power. Since 2008 this has risen well beyond any point from when Maggie was in power.

So by working I pay income tax, by working I am obliged to pay for my prescriptions, rent, council tax and many other things yet those who put nothing into the system are 'ok' to use my taxes to fund their lifestyles?

At the moment I am one of those "who put nothing into the system" and I am "using your taxes to fund my lifestyle".
This "lifestyle" you are funding includes my family and I scraping together any clothing that we don't wear very often to sell, (because we have already sold all the valuables we had) to enable us to hang around the supermarket "reduced" section in the hope of second reductions to help eke out the money to pay the fuel bills. With the exception of my 42" TV (which I bought 5 years ago when I was still working) every piece of furniture in my living room is second hand and I have not paid (nor could have paid) more than £20 for any of it, in fact the sofa I sit on was literally "taken off the street" as it was being thrown out.
I worked for almost 40 years paying my taxes to be able to be afforded this "privilege". So, yes I do think it is OK.
Comfortably off people in reasonably paid work really do not know the reality of "being on the dole" because these see extreme cases shown in the media and "hear" of the scroungers who have this wonderful life on benefits.
Yes there are some scamming or working the system and claiming and working or thieving who are living it up, but that is not the case for most.

So, in the Lake District there is an initiative to make The Lakes more accessible to ethnic minorities. Now, I don't have problem with that in principle but...

...are we saying that ethnic minorities don't know how walking works or do they not know where The Lakes are? Do they want to walk? Did our illustrious leaders just spend thousands stating the blatantly obvious?

I hear they are going to build "vehicular accessible pontoon staging aka Varanasi's ghats" with "flammable ignition stations" to enable a certain minority to mirror the Ganges funeral cremations.

PS
This post is meant as a little dig at HH's concerns and is not meant as an insult to Hindus who in the majority I have always considered as righteous and hard working people.

At the moment I am one of those "who put nothing into the system" and I am "using your taxes to fund my lifestyle".
This "lifestyle" you are funding includes my family and I scraping together any clothing that we don't wear very often to sell, (because we have already sold all the valuables we had) to enable us to hang around the supermarket "reduced" section in the hope of second reductions to help eke out the money to pay the fuel bills. With the exception of my 42" TV (which I bought 5 years ago when I was still working) every piece of furniture in my living room is second hand and I have not paid (nor could have paid) more than £20 for any of it, in fact the sofa I sit on was literally "taken off the street" as it was being thrown out.
I worked for almost 40 years paying my taxes to be able to be afforded this "privilege". So, yes I do think it is OK.
Comfortably off people in reasonably paid work really do not know the reality of "being on the dole" because these see extreme cases shown in the media and "hear" of the scroungers who have this wonderful life on benefits.
Yes there are some scamming or working the system and claiming and working or thieving who are living it up, but that is not the case for most.
If only DW Cash was real eh? :)

You put nothing in now but you have in the past. So therefore I feel that is 'OK'. I have also been in your situation, and even now I am working, we still struggle every month. Nearly every month I have to raid the loft to sell something on Facebook to keep us afloat until the next payday. We are slowly running out of stuff in the loft so looking good for the future. I have a family of 4 to support on £19k/yr, we don't nor can't get any help (other than child tax credit.) only good thing about the job is the car and fuel card, but I still get taxed on them.

I think you will find you are actually in the minority when it comes to it. How many people have never contributed to the system, yet carry on claiming their free handouts?

earwig999...You have just destroyed my faith in my fellow human beings..

You, in times gone by would of been a guard at the camps and when put on trial would say well i was just doing my job..

Oh and by the way....You are a scrounger from the state and whether you like it or not you are a burden on the state yet will hate to admit it to yourself as you consider yourself better than other people....Go and look in the mirror.
Never forget where you came from because you can never be something you are not.....
Oh by the way, I am ex Falklands vet and hater her and her divisive party..

Last edited by a moderator:

You, in times gone by would of been a guard at the camps and when put on trial would say well i was just doing my job..

Oh and by the way....You are a scrounger from the state and whether you like it or not you are a burden on the state yet will hate to admit it to yourself as you consider yourself better than other people....Go and look in the mirror.
Never forget where you came from because you can never be something you are not.....

Don't mean to be offensive, but I find the last line puzzling.

When you joined the (army ?) you agreed to fight for your country, if need be, irrespective of the policy of the government at that time.

Are you not then a "guard at the camps" as well ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't mean to be offensive, but I find the last line puzzling.

When you joined the (army ?) you agreed to fight for your country, if need be, irrespective of the policy of the government at that time.

Are you not then a "guard at the camps" as well ?

No...I will leave you to work it out for yourself....I would be in the camps....

I have a family of 4 to support on £19k/yr, we don't nor can't get any help (other than child tax credit.) only good thing about the job is the car and fuel card, but I still get taxed on them.

Assuming your family of 4 is your wife and 3 children and your combined household income is £19K gross, then you should be entitled to Working Tax Credit as well as Child Tax Credit.
If you are not getting both then you need to inform HMRC of your details and ask them for reassessment and a breakdown of your entitlement.

Why is it cheaper to import coal then produce it locally. I am still looking for an explanation of this ? There must be a reason.
Other countries governments subsidised their mining industries because
Cheaper coal meant cheaper electricity, and cheaper steel, thereby cheaper manufacturing.
Other countries were also aware that if they closed the mines then a vast energy resource would be lost forever.

"Don't mean to be offensive, but I find the last line puzzling.

Are you not then a "guard at the camps" as well ?"

"No...I will leave you to work it out for yourself....I would be in the camps...."

Well, on rereading, we seem to have different interpretations of the content, or more probably, the context.
May as well pass on that one, when the media circus moves on we'll be nit picking about something else. :)

But, I still don't see the connection between "ex Falklands vet etc", and your preceding lines. Maybe me. :)

Other countries were also aware that if they closed the mines then a vast energy resource would be lost forever.

It's not lost forever, when theirs has gone, ours will still be there, even if more difficult to reach.

Not suggesting this was deliberate policy, but when the lights are about to go out, climate change theory won't matter.

You watch too much Game of Thrones!

Back