motorised where am i going wrong

gray60

Inactive User
Reaction score
iHello to you all, now I should know the answers to my problems! I have installed motorised systems twice, I have a technomate 5402hd mk2 with 80cm dish and tm motor pole is set correct longitude and latitude set at 50.3 n and 3.2 w the receiver not been used for 1 year, getting no signal at all changed the cable lnb and f connectors tried rotating dish by motor works fine signal goes up to 90% with 9% quality sometimes signal drop to 37% depending what sat im on,when I turn off lnb signal stays the same so is it me or the box!! when I remove cable from f connector signal stays on 37% is it possible that moisture could have got into the connector on the motor allowing the motor to move but not receive a signal it has been stored in a shed, been on this on and off for two weeks now out of ideas so any help at all would be good.rgds gray

Highly unlikely to be a problem with the receiver if it's been in dry storage.
Some more info might help us pinpoint the problem.
Has the dish/motor assembly been moved/re-installed since it last worked?
Is it possible to install (temporarily) a TV where you can see it whilst working on the dish? (I assume you don't have a dish alignment meter).

Highly unlikely to be a problem with the receiver if it's been in dry storage.
Some more info might help us pinpoint the problem.
Has the dish/motor assembly been moved/re-installed since it last worked?
Is it possible to install (temporarily) a TV where you can see it whilst working on the dish? (I assume you don't have a dish alignment meter).

The receiver not been used for 1 year it was stored inside the house but the motor was left in garden shed uncovered all working fine at my old property, my tv and receiver is one meter away from dish so i can see any change on signal all i get is high level and 3% quality could it be the connector on the motor ? but there again the dish moves as it should.

Have you sent the dish to 1w,use SKY NEWS 12418V 28000,to make sure that the system is plum etc. When that is done you may have to get the ladders out and play with the dish,(the motor or the dish may have moved a bit)

DEN

Have you sent the dish to 1w,use SKY NEWS 12418V 28000,to make sure that the system is plum etc. When that is done you may have to get the ladders out and play with the dish,(the motor or the dish may have moved a bit)

DEN
The dish as been sent everywhere with no signal,replaced LNB and f connectors i keep asking the same? if the motor moves ok does it mean the LNB is sending signal via the motor if so time to start over again!!

It looks like that the dish has moved a bit, have you tried it under the DiSEqc system, again send the dish to 1w, move the system in small steps (left)(east) or (right)(west)to get the Quality higher.
If this works you will have to move the motor on the pole a small bit, then select USALS again.
As you say, you may have to start again, but try this if you think every thing is set up correct. Have a portable TV/Receiver next to the motor/dish, when you are direct behind the dish move it upwards a bit (checking the TV)then downwards / left and right and see if the Quality improves.

DEN

still nothing unable to do much outside blowing easterly gale,playing around with receiver on 28deg east i have noticed that transponder1 level is 92% 2is89% 3 is 53% and from 4 to 100 is 37% dont know if that has any bearing on my problem.

The levels that I am getting here at Kidderminster with a 110cm dish are as follows,
10.714H/10.729V/10.758V/10.773H/10.788V/10.802H all @ 97% these are just a few.

DEN

Setting up a motorised dish is all about levels. Buy a decent level none of these cheap plastic crap, (Stabila) and plumb, plumb, plumb, and then keep checking while your tightening up. Once you get the brackets spot on and the pole perfect plumb drop the motor onto the pole.
Send it to 0.8w then loosen it. You then line the dish up with the motor so its a "T" and with a compass point it South and tighten up.
I climb right above the motor and look down to get the motor and the dish as a right angle "T" then to South and tighten.
the best guide by far is this, only problem the music so mute;-

YouTube

still nothing unable to do much outside blowing easterly gale,playing around with receiver on 28deg east i have noticed that transponder1 level is 92% 2is89% 3 is 53% and from 4 to 100 is 37% dont know if that has any bearing on my problem.

The signal level reported by the Technomate (and most other receivers) can be quite misleading, it seems even white noise can give quite a high 'level' (shows red though), it's not until you have a locked signal (showing green) that the signal level can be believed. It may also be that the dish is picking up A signal (hence the high level reading), possibly from the wrong satellite when you see those high levels. If this is the case you need to get the spanners out & make some adjustments.

make sure it's running on the ark. If the dish is not bang on plumb and the motor at at "T" to the dish then it will run ever so slightly off and some of the top ends sats E - W wont be received.

well here the latest news!! today cleaned all connectors replaced cable again must stop buying cheapo stuff,moved the motor setting for longitude slightly moved dish towards thor on the way picked up a signal at last!!! went back and it was eurobird @9deg east scanned it and got channels but i dont believe it is that satellite bbc world news was on 12597v tomorrow going to try and locate thor after spanners have been out,confidence is now high after getting some blue and yellow readings

Nearly there but not quite what quality strength should I have on thor 0.8 w with 80cm dish I live in devon south coast at the moment getting around 60%

Nearly there but not quite what quality strength should I have on thor 0.8 w with 80cm dish I live in devon south coast at the moment getting around 60%

This is when it is useful being able to see the TV from the dish. When you have your picture, press the i (info) button on your Technomate remote so you can see the signal meter reading and gently push (by hand) the dish left, right, up/down and see if the signal reading improves any. This will tell you if you need to make any more fine adjustments. (Note the skew of the LNB should be vertical on Thor).
I cannot comment on what signal level you should expect, as I am nowhere near you. But at a guess, 60% does sound quite low.

Well, this is the latest on thor with80% quality t50 12.607 v but only seems to scan high frequency when I move to 13deg e its t36 11.411 with 48% quality my settings are lnb single set at 9.750. on Sirius 4.8 e 85% quality and scans on lower frequency, so is it my settings or I not tracking the arc.
rgds gray.

What type of LNB have you got SINGLE or UNIVERSAL.
To get as much as you can you should have a UNIVERSAL LNB FITTED, and the settings must be as my post above.

DEN

Back