chookey's Motorised Install

One of them gave me a month's trial of iptv but mistakenly gave me a year so that's still going strong apart from just before the main bout last night. She also entered the wrong name by one letter so probably has been unable to find me on her panel to rectify her mistake. That maybe goes a short way to helping my loss.

I haven't re-installed the dish yet as the ladder just on the pole felt too dodgy for me. I was feeling up to making it safer this morning but a short shopping expedition put paid to that. Hopefully tomorrow I will attach a short piece of scaffold to make it safer for my ladder. I'm also contemplating putting another T bracket between the T&K's.

View attachment 160612
Think you need a longer pole mate 🤣

Last edited:
Think you need a longer pole mate 🤣
You been talking to my ex??

Managed to force myself out of bed this morning a little before 10-00am. Felt absolutely exhausted, nose was sniffly and sneezing uncontrollably, eyes watering like hell and felt really cold. But somehow and most unusually I wanted to do something. I managed to shower, medicate and make my bed by 11-00am and then I made the big decision. I put my DeWalts on instead of my slippers.

I installed the scaffold crossbar to make my ladder work safer. I then levelled off the T bracket which was definitely on a tilt. By now all my symptoms had disappeared. I readjusted the K bracket and drilled and fixed the final fixing after ensuring my mast was perfectly square all round. Just managed to fit the motor before a bit of rain stopped play. It was only when I fitted it that I realised it is set at 30° for some reason so I will have to turn it to 0 before hopefully putting the dish up tomorrow.
It was now 4-00pm but I had also made 2 trips to Sainsburys on my scooter in between. The 2nd trip was to hopefully collect £27 worth of Mach 3 blades I had left on the checkout instead of putting in my bag. Luckily they had been found. This is the problem when you are constantly fatigued and have no concentration. Happens regularly.

How it looks now. Note the TK Maxx bag to match the T&K brackets :rolleyes: Still considering putting another T bracket in the middle. Doubt I really need it but I have one so why not?? I am going to run the coax inside the tube but need to cut some off the bottom first.

Just thought I'd add that I've managed to stay conscious all day. I'm on my 2nd Carling and 3 fingers of red eye of the night and feel almost alert. It's hard to describe the pleasure I get from achieving like I did today. I'm almost frightened to go to bed as I never know which version of me will wake up tomorrow.
Sorry for the length and tone of my post but like I said, I'm in drink and on a bit of a high. 😂

IMG_20231101_155641.jpg

I'd definitely put another bracket on in the middle maybe a 'K', if it was me....
What size bolts are you using?
Looks quite high the pole, should get most of the sats there...
Sorry @**override** I missed your post.
I have used a mixture of 12mm x 75mm rawlbolts and coachscrews. Unfortunately I don't have another K that will fit in between without adding some wood in between whereas I have a T that's the same size so would fit in quite nicely.
I'm not sure it's absolutely necessary but it certainly wouldn't hurt. For all the time it would take which at my usual pace is about 3/4 weeks it seems like a no brainer. 😂

You been talking to my ex??

Managed to force myself out of bed this morning a little before 10-00am. Felt absolutely exhausted, nose was sniffly and sneezing uncontrollably, eyes watering like hell and felt really cold. But somehow and most unusually I wanted to do something. I managed to shower, medicate and make my bed by 11-00am and then I made the big decision. I put my DeWalts on instead of my slippers.

I installed the scaffold crossbar to make my ladder work safer. I then levelled off the T bracket which was definitely on a tilt. By now all my symptoms had disappeared. I readjusted the K bracket and drilled and fixed the final fixing after ensuring my mast was perfectly square all round. Just managed to fit the motor before a bit of rain stopped play. It was only when I fitted it that I realised it is set at 30° for some reason so I will have to turn it to 0 before hopefully putting the dish up tomorrow.
It was now 4-00pm but I had also made 2 trips to Sainsburys on my scooter in between. The 2nd trip was to hopefully collect £27 worth of Mach 3 blades I had left on the checkout instead of putting in my bag. Luckily they had been found. This is the problem when you are constantly fatigued and have no concentration. Happens regularly.

How it looks now. Note the TK Maxx bag to match the T&K brackets :rolleyes: Still considering putting another T bracket in the middle. Doubt I really need it but I have one so why not?? I am going to run the coax inside the tube but need to cut some off the bottom first.

Just thought I'd add that I've managed to stay conscious all day. I'm on my 2nd Carling and 3 fingers of red eye of the night and feel almost alert. It's hard to describe the pleasure I get from achieving like I did today. I'm almost frightened to go to bed as I never know which version of me will wake up tomorrow.
Sorry for the length and tone of my post but like I said, I'm in drink and on a bit of a high. 😂

View attachment 160678
So even with the ladder and your weight leaning on the pole you manage to get it plumb ?

I would check that with the ladder off the pole though.

Fair play mate youll put the so called pros to shame when it complete and feel proud of that with the condition your having to deal with whilst doing this.

So even with the ladder and your weight leaning on the pole you manage to get it plumb ?

I would check that with the ladder off the pole though.

Fair play mate youll put the so called pros to shame when it complete and feel proud of that with the condition your having to deal with whilst doing this.
The pole was checked lower down first and my final adjustments were done with the ladder leaning on the wall and not the pole 😂 😂 .

Weather yesterday prevented me from progressing but managed to nearly finish today. Dish is up and working quite well. I have scanned in Thor, Astra 1,2 and 3,Hotbird, Eutelsat 9A and 16A and finally Hispasat 30W. Only scanned HD channels but pulled in loads more channels than previously.
Eutelsat 16A for example found 1692 rather than the 44 it found from the previous install. All sats are averaging 70% quality apart from the aforementioned and Thor which are only averaging 60-64%.

The thing is I have only done a small E/W adjustment and haven't tweaked N/S at all yet. Started to get a little cold after all the scanning so called it a day for now. I just nipped the bolts up a little in case the wind picks up tonight

IMG_20231103_135240.jpg

What arc is available to you now then @chookey with it been higher.

Once you tweaked it that install will be good for years.

Well done mate.
I have yet to try some sats as it got a bit cold. I put the receiver in my workshop for the setup process. The motorised setup won't be in my home till I get a brickbuster and grommet as I am running new cable into there and it will be entering closer to the receiver location.
Will try some more Westerly ones tomorrow but there is a section that will be obscured by tall trees.
I have the ones that really mattered to me though.

All things being well I will tweak the dish tomorrow, cut off the surplus pole at the bottom and run the coax through the pole. Will also have to weatherproof the connection from the lnb to the motor. I may then add another T bracket which isn't totally necessary. If time and energy allows I will reinstall the roof of my mobility scooter shelter :D

I've hit a rare purple patch and thoroughly enjoying myself. Had almost forgotten how much pleasure even a small diy job gives me. Gives me a great excuse to crack open a Carling and pour 3 fingers of red eye.

I have yet to try some sats as it got a bit cold. I put the receiver in my workshop for the setup process. The motorised setup won't be in my home till I get a brickbuster and grommet as I am running new cable into there and it will be entering closer to the receiver location.
Will try some more Westerly ones tomorrow but there is a section that will be obscured by tall trees.
I have the ones that really mattered to me though.

All things being well I will tweak the dish tomorrow, cut off the surplus pole at the bottom and run the coax through the pole. Will also have to weatherproof the connection from the lnb to the motor. I may then add another T bracket which isn't totally necessary. If time and energy allows I will reinstall the roof of my mobility scooter shelter :D

I've hit a rare purple patch and thoroughly enjoying myself. Had almost forgotten how much pleasure even a small diy job gives me. Gives me a great excuse to crack open a Carling and pour 3 fingers of red eye.
Whats the range on your scooter mate and how much do you charge to install a dish ?? 🤣

I have the same dish and motor with the same sort of set up, have luck on my side, been having a south facing wall on a low side shed which i can get at with a step ladder.
Can get satellites from 45e to 30w, just setting everything up is a joy, then getting the results.
Great job, well done.

I have the same dish and motor with the same sort of set up, have luck on my side, been having a south facing wall on a low side shed which i can get at with a step ladder.
Can get satellites from 45e to 30w, just setting everything up is a joy, then getting the results.
Great job, well done.
Weather is a bit crap today. Just been up the wet ladder to get an idea of my arc which appears roughly to be between 33.0E and 65.0W. Will have a little play soon to see what else I can pick up but I'm quite happy with what I have tbh.

Ripped it all back down 😂
Upon checking my arc performance I found I couldn't drive the motor past 28.2e. Selecting anything higher such as 33e or 36e, my upper limit, I found the dish was actually pointing at 23.5e???
It will go to 28.2e no problem but turns the wrong way when trying to go further.

Had noticed I was unable to scan 26e Badr the other day so rechecked that and found yet again my dish was going to 23.5e?? I thought I must have set limits but wouldn't really explain my problem anyway. Brought the dish and motor back down and tried it on my workbench. I first reset the motor. Then found that my motor was slightly off anyway as I hadn't set zero manually, done it initially through the receiver. Schoolboy error which I have put right and got it smack on.

Driving it to the east is no problem and the scale looks pretty much smack on. Everything to the west is quite a way off. 15w is closer to 20 on the scale and 24.5w is at 30. There is no motor movement when going from 7w to 8w or 11w to 12w. I'm not sure if that's just the way it should be and perhaps would be reversed if my longitude was west rather than east. The motor will go to 33 or 36e on the bench yet there were no obstructions when it was in situ.

Football on tv has stopped play for today so weather permitting I'll put it back up tomorrow. In the meantime I'll sort out a satellites.xml which only has my arc and upload it to the receiver. That will involve a little reading tonight.

Driving it to the east is no problem and the scale looks pretty much smack on. Everything to the west is quite a way off. 15w is closer to 20 on the scale and 24.5w is at 30.
It should not be that far out but the reading on the scale will never match as it uses position plus your longitude

So if your longitude was 2 west the scale would show around 30 at 28 east, the scales are also not very accurate.

You sure no hardware limits the stops are set on the motor ?

It should not be that far out but the reading on the scale will never match as it uses position plus your longitude

So if your longitude was 2 west the scale would show around 30 at 28 east, the scales are also not very accurate.

You sure no hardware limits the stops are set on the motor ?
Yes mate I checked as I couldn't remember if I had set them when the dish was capable of hitting the wall. I recall setting software limits but the receiver has been reseet a couple of times since then. I tried going past 28.2 with the motor on my bench and it travelled there no problem. My longitude is set at 1.5 so the mismatch seems a little excessive.
I am going to test the voltages and current coming from this receiver tomorrow as the motor sounded like it was struggling at times in my workshop and I was only using a 12" coax lead. I have plenty of power supplies I could try anyway.

The receiver has often lost audio for a few seconds since new so is a little suspect. Here's a small clip of my motor going from 23.5e to 16e and then to supposedly 27.5w. This was before I tweaked the zero else east would have been smack on. Besides the discrepancy I was concerned about the sound of the motor.

View attachment sat motor.mp4

Ripped it all back down 😂
Upon checking my arc performance I found I couldn't drive the motor past 28.2e. Selecting anything higher such as 33e or 36e, my upper limit, I found the dish was actually pointing at 23.5e???
It will go to 28.2e no problem but turns the wrong way when trying to go further.

Had noticed I was unable to scan 26e Badr the other day so rechecked that and found yet again my dish was going to 23.5e?? I thought I must have set limits but wouldn't really explain my problem anyway. Brought the dish and motor back down and tried it on my workbench. I first reset the motor. Then found that my motor was slightly off anyway as I hadn't set zero manually, done it initially through the receiver. Schoolboy error which I have put right and got it smack on.

Driving it to the east is no problem and the scale looks pretty much smack on. Everything to the west is quite a way off. 15w is closer to 20 on the scale and 24.5w is at 30. There is no motor movement when going from 7w to 8w or 11w to 12w. I'm not sure if that's just the way it should be and perhaps would be reversed if my longitude was west rather than east. The motor will go to 33 or 36e on the bench yet there were no obstructions when it was in situ.

Football on tv has stopped play for today so weather permitting I'll put it back up tomorrow. In the meantime I'll sort out a satellites.xml which only has my arc and upload it to the receiver. That will involve a little reading tonight.
If I remember you are near Coventry? You should be on 52.4 N 1.5 W approx if that's correct location.

Back