Kitchen death!

Next problem, tiles. The floor is fine, Mrs M has pretty much got that covered (no pun intended). It's the wall area between worktop and wall unit. I'm aiming for a 'timeless' look and have pretty much decided on tumbled travertine. Small, square (about 3"). Probably have to order unseen online as most local suppliers just do them as decor tiles at £1 a pop!

Cream/limestone grout - I know, fussy tw@t lol

Ah, the most important pic...

View attachment 82648

The wine chiller!

I really like that little integration, nice if you have a room where you have some spare room :)

Which I do lol....

Going to have to nick that idea matey, where did you get it from ?

Regards
Mick

After a little bit of drama, the worktops are done.

image.jpg

image.jpg

If you only do this now and again you can hire most of the kit, you'll need a decent router, 30mm guide, jig, clamps and cutter (you'll have to buy the cutter ~ £15). Hire of router and jig is around £40 (weekend rate). The router needs to be 1/2" collet.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The jig has about 1mm play so cut 10mm at a time holding the router away from the work until the waste is removed then make a final pass holding the router towards the work to clean the cut up.

It's a very unforgiving process so measure, measure, measure lol. It ends up with 90 degree joints and your kitchen won't be square so cut over-length and juggle for square before making final cuts. Most times it's easier to chop a bit of plaster out so you can juggle the worktops. You can lose a 10mm gap at the wall with tiles or splash-back board in any case.

Obviously, since it was MY kitchen I had to mong one joint, hopefully not too noticeable!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Read the jig instructions carefully,have a practice on some scrap pieces and all will be fine :)

Funny how people view things!

Mrs M saw this:

image.jpg

I only saw the art...

image.jpg

:cool:

The sink works, job done!

I could have done without this really. Since we haven't decided on tiles for the kitchen I decided to crack on with the utility room rip-out only to be confronted with this:

image.jpg

The floor is completely shot. It's a floating floor, tongue & groove chipboard laid on polystyrene insulation with a membrane on top. Later floors will be Kingspan or similar. Since it's 22mm I've set the cut to about 20mm so I should be able to save the membrane.

Fingers crossed!

Mostly saved the membrane, taped a few cuts and laid the new floor. Cracking on, just need some tiles now.

image.jpg

Kitchen stuff works now :)

image.jpg

We're getting there.

Well, sorting out tiles took a while, mainly because Mrs M couldn't get her head around ordering unseen. Thing is, Travertine is a natural stone product, they're all different. Anyway, I told her she was welcome to pop down to the warehouse and individually hand-pick all 600 of them herself. We ordered unseen ;)

image.jpg

Lol. Chilling keeps them longer but the cooking time gets skewed. Anyway, those are fresh, local double-yolks for collection later :)

Good job that m8 , I'm no kitchen fitter come builder, I'm just 1/2 decent with the old D.I.Y.
The last house we bought and moved into was a repo, the place was tip head to toe.
H1st 25082010.jpg2nd 09112010008.jpg3rd 08042011005.jpg
I gutted the room , ceiling to floor so it was a shell, patio doors , LED downlighters, rads, floor tiles etc...the whole caboodle. It took me 3 weeks on my jacks the only help I had was a m8 who gave me a hand lifting the worktops in.

Oh and the first pic was the kitchen they lived with, the bathroom was even better. The house before that was even better, another repo we bought. It was from a drug user who had been left it when his parents passed away.

For 7 years he lived with rats and a kitchen patio door that wouldn't close. He blocked with a curtain. I killed over 20 rats and removed a wheelbarrow full of rat muck from behind a kitchen unit.
I have pictures somewhere on the PC I will dig them out. It shows were the rats clawed at the units. The rats actually built a 5ft wide nest in the insulation in the loft. They would raid next doors through the facia boards then take it back to the loft.
When his toilet blocked he took a dump on the floor in the bathroom, I had breathing gear on, I will try to find them if I can

Back