Failed recording, and system crash when trying to play recording (29/03/2012)

F1Mad

Inactive User
Reaction score
I've had quite a few recordings fail. So far, I *think* the common denominators are that they were all encrypted channels, and they were being recorded whist watching something else (I don't think I've had an issue recording a show that I've been watching!). Incidentally, in case someone says it's to do with how the tuners are set up, I initially set up tuner B on its own at first, and then changed the config of tuner A to copy tuner B.

Anyway, I've been tying to record a World Rally Championship programme on numerous attempts, all have failed. I had put them down to CCcam issues, but I no longer think this is the issue. On the last attempt, the recording shows up as 0:00 length, and when you try to play the recording, the box will completely lock up, with just a spinning iQ logo in the top left, and a black screen. I can reproduce this at every attempt, so I've kept te recording there in case this will help track the problem.

If your getting failed recordings it could be write access to hdd issue in which case I would suggest trying to format the hdd. I have recorded 2 hd encypted channels at the same time without no problems using timers from rytec epg both started and finished correctly.

have you got both tuners connected to their own independant feed, even if it is from the same dish? as if you loop tuner A into tuner B, it will limit what you can record / watch together

with 2 independant feeds, ive sucessfully recorded 4 encrypted HD channels at once

have you got both tuners connected to their own independant feed, even if it is from the same dish? as if you loop tuner A into tuner B, it will limit what you can record / watch together

with 2 independant feeds, ive sucessfully recorded 4 encrypted HD channels at once

How the hell? Ahh 2 channels on same transponder for tuner A & B?

they were random HD channels m8, but i will have a play tomorrow and see how many different transponders i can get, 'in theory' you should be able to record multiple streams from the same band, not transponder, but ill have to play some more and actually look at what its recording etc

yep, both tuners independently connected (I have a quad LNB coming from a 60cm mesh dish).

I may change the settings for the tuners soon, so that they both are configured on their own (ie * not* as like "tuner A equal to Tuner B"), to see if that makes a difference...

that is probably why you have the issue.

i will try to replicate your setup to confirm if i get same results. if there are no merits to the equal option a request will be made to have it removed

Last edited:
they were random HD channels m8, but i will have a play tomorrow and see how many different transponders i can get, 'in theory' you should be able to record multiple streams from the same band, not transponder, but ill have to play some more and actually look at what its recording etc

They were almost certainly from the same transponder. Whether we're talking digital terrestrial or digital satellite tuners, when you tune into a channel you're actually locked on to the whole feed from that transponder. Some systems (eg MS MediaCenter) just split that stream up for the portion of interest (ie the channel you're watching/recording), but better systems (like MythTV) can use ALL channels in a stream. For example, in the UK we have 6 DVB-T tranponders so, in theory, if you had 6 tuners in a MythTV box you could record ALL channels simultaneously! Cool huh? :)

that is probably why you have the issue.

i will try to replicate your setup to confirm if i get same results. if there are no merits to the equal option a request will be made to have it removed

Abu-banian, what do you mean? The way I have the tuners configured (ie A equal to B)? If so, what I don't understand is why it would partially work. When I say failed recording, I mean tht something is being recorded, but it's just unusable!

As someone mentioned, it may be something to do with CAM issues, as I've recorded a couple of Free-to-air programmes and they seemed to be ok. Another possibility could be Low Memory - I've noticed that when viewing normally, my free memory is about 20000 - 30000, but when watching a recording it can go as low as 2500! I'm making a point of monitoring this free memory, as well as other things.

Please review the attached image to see what I mean about equal mode.

Anyway, I tried two 5 minute recordings of premium channels using the equal mode and they both played back OK. The recordings were manually started. I do not believe the equal mode is the cause of the issue you are experiencing. Using the equal mode I started a recording of a channel. Whilst this was going I was able to select and view all other channels. None were greyed out indicating being unavailable. The only thing that I noticed was that the FTA channels were also showing an ECM value instead of "FTA".

Whilst recording two channels the memory went to 2956 from 38780.

A. Could you elaborate on the term "unusable". Do you mean that you get momentary skips, i.e. results of glitching.
B. Is your HDD an old one or new one.
C. When did you download your image?

Attachments

• Equal mode.jpg
    Equal mode.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 6
Please review the attached image to see what I mean about equal mode.

Yes, the first figure is how I had them set up before (albeit Tuner B was the configured one, and Tuner A was set to be equal to B). Anyway, I have now changed the setup, and it's exactly as you show for "Individually set".

Anyway, I tried two 5 minute recordings of premium channels using the equal mode and they both played back OK. The recordings were manually started. I do not believe the equal mode is the cause of the issue you are experiencing.

Ah, OK. In my failed scenarios, I'd set the recordings to be controlled by EPG timers (and I don't think any would have overlapped, etc, requiring more than 1 tuner), and they started recording whilst I was watching another channel.

Using the equal mode I started a recording of a channel. Whilst this was going I was able to select and view all other channels. None were greyed out indicating being unavailable. The only thing that I noticed was that the FTA channels were also showing an ECM value instead of "FTA".

Now *that* is interesting! I've noticed the opposite? Basically, say I'm recording something from an encrypted channel whilst watching another encrypted channel - when I clicked on the OK button to show the CCCam info in the OSD, it would say the channel was FTA (and hence no CCCam info). In fact, I was going to raise a separate bug about this, and that's why I was asking about how to do screen grabs! ;)

Whilst recording two channels the memory went to 2956 from 38780.

I'm still trying to work out what's going on with the memory usage. Basically, because I noticed low free memory (typically about 2500 - 3500) being shown when I was trying out the last image, this time I decided to use a USB stick for EPG/Picons and the HDD for recordings on the 29/03/2012 image. Since then, I've been able to see Free Memory as high as almost 40000, but I too have noticed it sometimes dipping down to 2500 occasionally. It definitely does this when viewing a recording, which made me think that this is because it's buffering some of the content either side of the current video position, to make it easier to pause, FF, Rew, etc. However, I've seen such low Free Memory occurring at other times, too, e.g. when only viewing 1 FTA channel and with no recordings going on. It's made me wonder whether there's a memory leak somewhere. However, for the free memory to later climb back up, it may not be a memory leak at all but may point to something else running in the background.

A. Could you elaborate on the term "unusable". Do you mean that you get momentary skips, i.e. results of glitching.

I mean COMPLETELY unusable, unless you just want to listen to the channels as a radio! :) Basically, when switching channels you get the sound, and everything showing up in the OSD, but the picture is just a still picture of whatever was showing when the freeze occurred. As I said before, an "Enigma restart" from the menu doesn't do it, and nor does a regular "restart" from the menu (in fact the latter has never worked for me whenever I've needed, and I've had to resort to restarting from the power switch on the unit.

B. Is your HDD an old one or new one.
It's probably about 2-3 years old, a 3.5" Seagate 500GB. It was in one of my Media Centers before. These Seagates are supposed to have a 5year warranty, but I've noticed that all my Seagates have slowly-slowly been failing. I wouldn't be surprised if it's slowly dieing - is there any SMART reporting on this box? Might try to see if I can get that going, at least via command line?

C. When did you download your image?[/QUOTE]
Judging from my timestamp on the "update" folder of my USB drive, I'd say just after midday on 03/04/2012.

Last edited:
UPDATE!!!

OK, I've upgraded to the very latest image (the "proper" 29/03/2012 one) and I'm still having issues, but I've been able to narrow it down further. Basically, it has something to do with recording more than 1 encrypted channel at the same time (or recording one, whilst viewing another). To try and track these (and other!) issues down further, I decided to get another CCCam provider. So now, I have 2 separate CCcam.cfg files that I can switch between. So, now I have CCcam_1.cfg for the initial provider, and CCcam_2.cfg for the newest provider...

Anway, what I have found is that, with the new provider (CCcam_2.cfg), I AM finally able to record more than 1 encrypted channel simultaneously. HOWEVER, because this new provider can occassionally suffer stuttering, I sometimes have to flick back to the initial provider (CCcam_1.cfg). When I do this, I no longer can record more than 1 encrypted channel. In fact, what happens is that, as I select a new channel to record (whether directly using the record button, or a Timer), the currently running recording will stop recording (even though it shows in "List" menu as still recording). So, to re-iterate, If I'm recording Sky Sports 1, and then try to record Sky F1 HD, Sky F1 will start recording, and Sky Sports 1 will stop recording (even though the symbol next to the Sky Sports 1 program in the "List" menu, ie /hdd/movie, is a red circle - this is also confirmed by looking at the right hand panel which shows the length of the program, and this no longer increases.

Now, if I switch back to CCcam_2.cfg, which worked before when recording 2 channels simultaneously, it has now stopped working. Whatever I do, it won't recover again unless I do a full "restart" of the system.

Also, I'm not really sure why 1 provider's CCcam.cfg file will work, and why the other's wont, unless of course it's at the server end where they might have a mechanism to ensure they don't get bombarded for multiple requests from the same IP address.

Back