DM800 original vs. clone

Is that Nextbay mate, £153.00 + shipping for your first sample order ?

Not them but its along the same lines. I think there is a few places that you will get them cheaper than the usual retaailers you hear getting talked about on this and other sites.

Not them but its along the same lines. I think there is a few places that you will get them cheaper than the usual retaailers you hear getting talked about on this and other sites.

The problem is, is seperating the scam sites from the genuine ones.
I see that that Nextbay does use Papal though, but coul'dnt find anything out about the site, price seems to good to be true.

Regards Finearrow

I think i know where you got yours from mate, been quoted £185 myself shipped to my door as a "sample" if all goes well i might have me a new business venture!
care to divulge your supplier ? here or PM,.. nextbay are very cheap but there is some scammer posts knocking about regarding them.

I don't see the problem with all the clones, I am so happy with mine right now. I didn't even bother changing the image yet. I've been watching it all weekend.

Now watching Sky Comedy HD :D

@tsj The problem with clones is not the actuall running them its when dream decide to start hitting them via bootloader updates, images, emus take your pick. You just have to try and keep from updating them when something new gets release because you never know.

Also why not start a new thread and keep us upto date with what your watching right now, would be great.

Si

Last edited:
@tsj The problem with clones is not the actuall running them its when dream decide to start hitting them via bootloader updates, images, emus take your pick.

True, but how long did it take before dream decided to take down the dm500 clones? They were on the market for a good few years before they started putting timebombs on images - Fair enough, they may start sooner with the HD clones, but as you can see many people have clones, and as a result there will always be support for them, and usually there's always a way round! E.G. time bombed images get patched - bootloader issues have new images with older bootloaders etc!

If you buy a clone and stick with a good stable image with the software you initially setup, you will be fine. When you start updating images later on down the line, they will still work, but not "straight out the box" as they do with originals! But in my opinion, this is worth a saving of £225 for me!

Just so everyone can stop pm'ing me asking me for an email, which i did say i will post it when i get his consent to do so, i initially went to a site call alibaba. This site puts you in touch with the many manufactures as opposed to re-sellers, hence the cheap units. Its a good idea to ask what tuners they put in their units, if they provide a tracking no for shipping and also what their warranty procedure is and for how long. Its also a good idea to stick with someone who uses paypal, and also someone who speaks a relatively good level of engrish!! This will help avoid scammers - Good thing of doing it this way, is that prices are flexible, so put your haggling gloves on, and grab yourself a bargain!

Last edited:
You obviously have your head screwed on and understand the pitt falls, i was more pointing to the million other people that dont care to understand the difference. They are about you only have go back a few months to see.

Your dm500 comparisson is not really in the same league though, the profit/savings are quite alot different in the dm800 so more reaction might be warrented by dream.

Am not against clones at all i use them myself but some people dont read into the possible problems and only think of the savings they are making.

Si

i was more pointing to the million other people that dont care to understand the difference

This is precisely why i wanted to start this thread... To determine exactly what the differences are between the original and a clone! I don't want to go over the few differences that do exist, but they are mentioned a few posts back!

This will hopefully aid people wanting to purchase a dm800 to determine whether they should go for the original or a clone. However, in my opinion with such a massive price difference, and only one small downfall (the bootloader - however this has been fixed with the more recent clones, so in fact currently there is no real big/major difference between original and clone) there is, in my mind, only one choice unless DMM and retailers decide to lower the price for their official units!

Just ordered a DM800HD from dreamboxclones today, very easy to deal with & replies to all questions fast, same price as tsj got his for including shipping to Ireland,..I found a few chinese sellers quoting lower prices £175~£200 on alibaba but when I quized them they said they were bulk prices, then when they added costly shipping & paypal fees it worked out more expencive then [email protected]

Last edited:
The way round buying in bulk is to request a "sample unit" and like i said, negotiation is key! They initially wanted ~£185-190 (prices were in dollars) which included paypal fees and shipping. After 2-3 min of haggling, he waived the 5% paypal fee, and offered me a nice round price of $275 which equated to just under £175! the guy emailed me back and said it is ok to post his email addy: yaoxincn02 at yahoo dot com! Also Alibaba has a chat now feature like MSN - much easier to use that than sending emails back and forth!

Shipping with this guy is also fast... Was sent out on Friday Lunch, and has been sat at my local DHL depot since Sunday afternoon, so it would have arrived yesterday but it was a bank holiday! Has been loaded on a delivery truck this morning so will post details of the unit when it arrives!

The way round buying in bulk is to request a "sample unit" and like i said, negotiation is key! They initially wanted ~£185-190 (prices were in dollars) which included paypal fees and shipping. After 2-3 min of haggling, he waived the 5% paypal fee, and offered me a nice round price of $275 which equated to just under £175! the guy emailed me back and said it is ok to post his email addy: yaoxincn02 at yahoo dot com! Also Alibaba has a chat now feature like MSN - much easier to use that than sending emails back and forth!

Shipping with this guy is also fast... Was sent out on Friday Lunch, and has been sat at my local DHL depot since Sunday afternoon, so it would have arrived yesterday but it was a bank holiday! Has been loaded on a delivery truck this morning so will post details of the unit when it arrives!

Thanks very much for your posts mate, very informative.

Regards Finearrow

Whilst checking out dm800 sellers on alibaba i found some great items, how about a mobile phone with built in cigarette lighter:Angryfire....I love it, when your battery goes flat you can send smoke signals.:flame:

:roflmao:

Still anxiously awaiting a man in a yellow suit to knock on my door with my new toy!!!

mine has just been collected by DHL in HK,..yeeeee haaaaaa.
a question if I may?...I don't have a full HD TV (1080P) mine is a (720p/1080i) lcd, now I'm very happy with the quality when watching a blu-ray dvd, sharp as a pin,... is the quality from BBC-HD & SLY-HD up to the same video quality ??

mine has just been collected by DHL in HK,..yeeeee haaaaaa.
a question if I may?...I don't have a full HD TV (1080P) mine is a (720p/1080i) lcd, now I'm very happy with the quality when watching a blu-ray dvd, sharp as a pin,... is the quality from BBC-HD & SLY-HD up to the same video quality ??

Its 95% as good as blu-ray, but amazing! Simply amazing. I can't believe it :D

I ordered from [email protected], othes on this thread already got their box from him so it's safe enough, I did find another company selling a good bit cheaper, I checked them out as far as possible & everything seems fine with them but I had already ordered from the other guy,..see below for details of this company , their total price for 1 dm800hd is $269.00 USD = £166.770 GBP delivered, I am not endorsing this other company & you should do your own checking before ordering from them. ....sample price for dm800 is $220,shipping cost is $38 by DHL ,paypal fees is $10.5,so totally is $268.5 .we will declaire $20 as a gift when ship .
price will be lower when you order more .
this is our paypal account : [email protected]
please let me know if you paid ,and we will send you goods immediately .thanks! have a nice day!
linsa

---International sales---
Shenzhen B.C.T Computer Co,Ltd

Tel: 86-0755-82722854-12

Fax: 86-0755-82724758

MSN: [email protected]

Mail: [email protected]
B.C.T.(Shnezhen) Computer Company Ltd--

Shenzhen B.C.T Computer Co., Ltd. - Mobile phones, motherboards, graphic cards

bctlinsa
2009-08-31

I ordered from [email protected], othes on this thread already got their box from him so it's safe enough, I did find another company selling a good bit cheaper, I checked them out as far as possible & everything seems fine with them but I had already ordered from the other guy,..see below for details of this company , their total price for 1 dm800hd is $269.00 USD = £166.770 GBP delivered, I am not endorsing this other company & you should do your own checking before ordering from them. ....sample price for dm800 is $220,shipping cost is $38 by DHL ,paypal fees is $10.5,so totally is $268.5 .we will declaire $20 as a gift when ship .
price will be lower when you order more .
this is our paypal account : [email protected]
please let me know if you paid ,and we will send you goods immediately .thanks! have a nice day!
linsa

---International sales---
Shenzhen B.C.T Computer Co,Ltd

Tel: 86-0755-82722854-12

Fax: 86-0755-82724758

MSN: [email protected]

Mail: [email protected]
B.C.T.(Shnezhen) Computer Company Ltd--

Shenzhen B.C.T Computer Co., Ltd. - Mobile phones, motherboards, graphic cards

bctlinsa
2009-08-31

Hmmm... I don't know. It all looks good..but I wouldn't risk my money with a company like that. At least mine is tested, confirmed up and running. I would rather pay the extra in my opinion anyway.

Hmmm... I don't know. It all looks good..but I wouldn't risk my money with a company like that. At least mine is tested, confirmed up and running. I would rather pay the extra in my opinion anyway.
I know what you mean, still tempting just the same,.. ah well still waiting for my 800 to arrive in Ireland, I have ordered lots of items from china/HK & was only hit by customs once, hope my luck holds out.

I know what you mean, still tempting just the same,.. ah well still waiting for my 800 to arrive in Ireland, I have ordered lots of items from china/HK & was only hit by customs once, hope my luck holds out.

I suppose it is tempting, but I prefer peace of mind :)

Back