DM800 original vs. clone

i wouldnt touch a clone at any price first you wont be able to use a good image on it as bootloader will kill it other reason is no warranty original all the way just my opinion

Hi Guys

I,m with dizy007. I too would not buy a clone, for the higher end of the
dream boxes. I,ve had a dm7020 original for about 2 years, and upgraded
to the DM8000 about a month or so ago. The DM8000 in opinion is the dogs
boll*cks, the best of the best. I just like peace of mind, knowing that if
anything cocks up, i can send it back to D.M. with no problems. I have not
got a problem with clones, as i do have a Eagle and it works great and as we all know its the clone of the DM500. But if i,m paying money out for the
best, i also want the best service.

Fezzy

My bro got 2x dm800 clones last month to play with. I have to say he is overjoyed with them. I really dont get what you mean by
i wouldnt touch a clone at any price first you wont be able to use a good image on it as bootloader will kill it other reason is no warranty original all the way just my opinion
He has had great fun playing around with all images, gemini included. He uses 69 bootloder then he can use any image he wants. And regards saying no warranty... DM gives you 12 months return to base warranty. Yet so does the DVBseller.com who he bought it off. So to be frank, there is no difference between orginal or clone in your comments.

Im going to buy one end of month when get wages. So it's preferly clear to me how to make that decision to buy the clone. Better quality build, same tuner, same uinit, same remote, same software can be used AND same EXACTLY the same warranty. I know dvbseller.com stand over there warranties as I've been buying dm500's from them for the past year and have had a few replaced. Then on top of that save £200......erm hard decision......NOT!

Lovely, sexy and smart DM800HD clones I cant wait to see you in a few weeks;)

Last night i was chatting to someone off another forum over msn! He had (emphasis on had, not has) an original DM800HD when they were first brought to market. After a week or so of having it, it started to overheat, and as a result he installed a laptop fan. This was fine for a month or so, without him knowing, the fan failed and the DM800 overheated. It must have been pretty hot, as when he restarted the box, it had, i quote; "weird 'n funky colours all over my screen" - turns out that the cpu got so hot it fooked the tuner and a few other components on the board.

Dreambox would not touch the box as it had been 'modified' - being an honest person he did tell them that it overheated before, thus installing a fan! weeks worth of emails were exchanged, and DMM said the warranty had been made void with his little DIY fix- he then replied, fine i will just buy a none DMM replacement!

He has now had a clone working fine for many many months. Having previously had an original, he has simply used the 'sim security card' from the original in the clone - this means he can use the later bootloaders. Apart from the bootloader issue known about the clones (which he doesn't actually have) he says there is absolutely no difference in the performance of the clone... as he has not had to modify any parts due to overheating, in his opinion it is actually better than an original! plus the big bonus is you save £££ and a fair bit at that!

With this my mind is now firmly made up... also as davido said, reputable clone dealers do offer a warranty, dvb monkey is so confident about their clones, that they offer a no hassle 18 month warranty (6 more than DMM offer on the original) and if something for some reason does go wrong, think how many times you could ship back a small receiver to china for a replacement from the £200 you saved???

Clones... here I come!

If you use a new bootloader on a clone, it doesn't kill anything!!! you simply reflash the older bootloader (69) and your back in business! Unless the newer bootloaders can start fermenting alcohol or something, i really dont see a point in getting an original for this one reason alone! Besides, if you would have read my earlier posts, you will see that it is actually possible to install ANY new image on a cloned DM800HD via the external flash... !

Last edited:
Thanks, have already read the reviews, and main issues seemed to be the shipping times. I gather this was due to customs, as opposed to DVBmonkey themselves! Will try and find a local sat dealer selling clones, there is one about 30 odd mile away where i got my first dm500 clone from, perhaps i will be in luck :) either way, i will shop around in the UK before i give my custom abroad.

My bro got 2x dm800 clones last month to play with. I have to say he is overjoyed with them. I really dont get what you mean by He has had great fun playing around with all images, gemini included. He uses 69 bootloder then he can use any image he wants. And regards saying no warranty... DM gives you 12 months return to base warranty. Yet so does the DVBseller.com who he bought it off. So to be frank, there is no difference between orginal or clone in your comments.

Im going to buy one end of month when get wages. So it's preferly clear to me how to make that decision to buy the clone. Better quality build, same tuner, same uinit, same remote, same software can be used AND same EXACTLY the same warranty. I know dvbseller.com stand over there warranties as I've been buying dm500's from them for the past year and have had a few replaced. Then on top of that save £200......erm hard decision......NOT!

Lovely, sexy and smart DM800HD clones I cant wait to see you in a few weeks;)

Don't use DVBSeller... they never repaired my DM500s... they just ignored my support tickets :( I must have sent about 10 or more... they ignored them all.

I now use another contact of mine. They provide 12 months warranty and are confirmed reliable, they don't have a website but that doesnt matter. I ordered my DM800 HD clone yesterday for £210 including delivery, it comes with r72 bootloader too ;)

@tsj any chance of a number m8 for a dm800

Thanks Coley

@ Ruddyrum

You seem to be so sure about the DM800 clones, so how come you
have not bought one yet?

Fezzy

Don't use DVBSeller... they never repaired my DM500s... they just ignored my support tickets :( I must have sent about 10 or more... they ignored them all.

They never repaired mine either,said they never received them ,a load of crap.
I wouldnt feel confident sending anything back to them.

They never repaired mine either,said they never received them ,a load of crap.
I wouldnt feel confident sending anything back to them.

Yeah. I'd never use them again after that :(

@ Ruddyrum

You seem to be so sure about the DM800 clones, so how come you
have not bought one yet?

Fezzy
Not all of us are made of money :proud: Whether £200 or £400 its still worthy of a good look around - always good to compare prices and reviews of places before you actually commit to buying from them! Was also waiting until i get paid (tomorrow) as its always nice to have a bit of disposable income at the end of a month! come Saturday, i will have ordered one!

Not all of us are made of money :proud: Whether £200 or £400 its still worthy of a good look around - always good to compare prices and reviews of places before you actually commit to buying from them! Was also waiting until i get paid (tomorrow) as its always nice to have a bit of disposable income at the end of a month! come Saturday, i will have ordered one!

Hehe... like me than... I've already spent most of my wages which arrived in my bank account on Monday :(

As i have had mixed reviews about DVBmonkey and DVBSeller had a little look around and went elsewhere... And, just to prove to fezzy how wealthy i really am (joke) I finally bought myself a DM800HD :banana:

I paid $275 (£174.14 at paypals exchange rate at the time of purchase) which includes tax and shipping!! The unit is the latest gen, and comes installed with bootloader 72 (new sim security card compatible with future image releases) and the Gemini Project image 4.4 (although i can safely say that the second it arrives, PLi will but flashed on there ASAP) As it is currently around midnight in Hong Kong,the item will be dispatched first thing in the morning, and then he will email me my tracking no, so around midnight over here. He told me that he had shipped a few units to the UK before and only takes around 4 days door to door!

Will let all know how it goes, and of course i will post back once i have tested/played around with my new clone!

Im soooo excited :Clap:

Last edited:
@ ruddyrum

I was only asking !!!

Anyway at least you have one on its way.

By the way, you are right in saying, we are not all made of money, i had
to forsake a weeks hol to buy my DM8000. Money well spent though.

Fezzy

As i have had mixed reviews about DVBmonkey and DVBSeller had a little look around and went elsewhere... And, just to prove to fezzy how wealthy i really am (joke) I finally bought myself a DM800HD :banana:

I paid $275 (£174.14 at paypals exchange rate at the time of purchase) which includes tax and shipping!! The unit is the latest gen, and comes installed with bootloader 72 (new sim security card compatible with future image releases) and the Gemini Project image 4.4 (although i can safely say that the second it arrives, PLi will but flashed on there ASAP) As it is currently around midnight in Hong Kong,the item will be dispatched first thing in the morning, and then he will email me my tracking no, so around midnight over here. He told me that he had shipped a few units to the UK before and only takes around 4 days door to door!

Will let all know how it goes, and of course i will post back once i have tested/played around with my new clone!

Im soooo excited :Clap:

Mate can u PM me the address?

Unless it's wee Peng ofcourse.

lol

Back