Receiver choice advice

Hi everyone, tomorrow I plan to set up my newly purchased Gigablue UHD UE. It arrived with Openvix installed. Does Openvix have its own EPG or will I have to set up a custom one. If any one feels there is any thing, with setting up of this box, I should be aware of I shall be grateful for comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone, tomorrow I plan to set up my newly purchased Gigablue UHD UE. It arrived with Openvix installed. Does Openvix have its own EPG or will I have to set up a custom one. If any one feels there is any thing, with setting up of this box, I should be aware of I shall be grateful for comments.
It will have EPGImport installed.

I'd use that over OpenEPG, configure the download time then select sources and select the sat positions you'd like EPG for and save, press yellow for a manual download.

It will also have autobouquets maker installed, which will create regional Freesat bouquets for you.

Not an app i bother with but @Abu Baniaz is a guru with it should you require help.

Last edited:
Hi Ferret, thanks for that. Gigablue is up and running I'm happy to say and I've found the openvix epg.
Obviously been a bit of a learning curve but I'm finding my way around. As I mentioned to Abu earlier it helps to have an interest in computers and phones but even then I think I would have been struggling without help yourself, Abu and other members of the two forums I joined.
Tried doing several recordings earlier just make sure it's set up as anticipated and everything was fine.
Obliged to all of you for your assistance, and I'm sure there will be further questions to come and having said that one just occurred to me.
I didn't bother with a wifi dongle for the box but if I download any plugins can it be done with a laptop and memory stick. If I decide to purchase a dongle are they all suitable or is there something specific required.
Cheers all.

The problem with downloading plugin to a laptop and then using a memory stick is dependencies which need to be be installed. Plugins that are standalone will be fine by that method though. You are better off maintaining internet access

Are you not able to leave the ethernet cable plugged in?

Thanks for that Abu, I agree ethernet would be ideal but my router is in one room and receiver is in another. What do you mean by dependencies and do you know if the Gigablue requires a specific Wi-Fi dongle.
Found your post on the EPG and channels differences. Very helpful and enlightening. Ferret recently described you as Guru on the subject of receivers. Worthy praise.

Thanks for that Abu, I agree ethernet would be ideal but my router is in one room and receiver is in another. What do you mean by dependencies and do you know if the Gigablue requires a specific Wi-Fi dongle.
Found your post on the EPG and channels differences. Very helpful and enlightening. Ferret recently described you as Guru on the subject of receivers. Worthy praise.
You can always use homeplugs. These plug into your powerline next to the router and send internet over your powerline to where your receiver is plugged in.

Dependencies are files a plugin may need to run.

Most plugins are available via the plugin menu and selecting the green button.

If not my preferred method of plugin install is via Telnet.

You do this by FTP sending the plugin via a FTP program such as filezilla to the tmp folder at the root of your image.

Then i use Putty a telnet app.

Login

Then run this command

opkg install /tmp/*.ipk

It will install the plugin and any dependencies that plugin requires.

Hi all, I'm looking at Dreamset but how do I install it to my Gigablue UHD. Do I need internet connection or can I save the Zip to a memory stick and install from there or does it need to be unzipped first. Please bare in mind I'm still very new to this sat rx venture so any advice will be welcome. I've managed to get the box up and running, done a channel scan and using the Openvix Magic skin. Before I start experimenting further can someone advice how to save the settings I have, and how do I save Bouquets. Have looked for folders on hard drive but nothing obvious, do I have to set up my own folders as I would with a PC.

Dreamset is a program for manipulating bouquets/channel lists. It is installed on the PC, not receiver. It communicates with receiver over the local network.

Until you get your preferred channel list configured, please use AutoBouquetsMaker (ABM). Do not not manually edit bouquets created by ABM. If you want to manually edit them, hijack them first.

Make a settings backup using Backup Manager before you start playing around. You can the restore using backup manager if it goes wrong.
Alternatively, as your receiver has hardware multiboot, have one image for main usage and another for trialling.

In response to your query about wi-fi device, there is no specific one. The important thing is to install the correct drivers for the wi-fi device you purchase. Homeplugs are the better option if you can.

I have just noticed that after doing first scan on my Gigablue UHD I had selected incorrect TV region. Tried to correct issue by doing a re-scan and now getting ERROR - Failed to scan (error starting scan) message. Help will be welcomed.

I have just noticed that after doing first scan on my Gigablue UHD I had selected incorrect TV region. Tried to correct issue by doing a re-scan and now getting ERROR - Failed to scan (error starting scan) message. Help will be welcomed.
Is this with AutobouqetsMaker ?

Yes I'm pretty sure I selected that after doing yesterdays scan. Just been checking through other online comments and coming to conclusion it's related to that or images. Be happy if your able to tell me to overcome this problem. I'm surprised that trying to scan is related to this.

Yes I'm pretty sure I selected that after doing yesterdays scan. Just been checking through other online comments and coming to conclusion it's related to that or images. Be happy if your able to tell me to overcome this problem. I'm surprised that trying to scan is related to this.
Open Autobouqetsmaker select delete bouquets.
Reboot UE
Then start ABM abd start a scan.

Home plugs ate the way to go, it's how my box is connected to the network and can be accessed around the home

Thanks both for the info, shall give the ABM delete and reboot a go tomorrow. Looking into the Homeplug suggestion.

Ferret
Deleting bouquets worked in the end. Did as you suggested, revised the regional areas and continued with the scan. Everything did as I hopped except for some reason it picked up an Indian channel that I was unable to get rid of. Went through the delete procedure again but channel still there. Have just restore a backup that got me back to where I was and was then able to go through the ABM procedure again, every thing is now fine except!, and hopefully you may be able to help here. I noticed even though I'm getting the correct regional channels on BBC & ITV I'm not getting local channels such as news and weather. Unable to find any means of editing things under providers.

ABM overwrites its own bouquets on subsequent runs. There is no need to delete ABM bouquets prior to running it. The only issue is that Enigma2 caches bouquets in RAM. So you need to change a bouquet to see the the latest one. Request to add a reload command at end of execution were declined as you then end up calling on OWIF to do something.

It creates bouquets as per official receiver with some manipulation. If you don't want some categories, hide them. The menu option is called "Hide sections".

Thanks for that Abu, touch wood everything is up and running again. I used ABM and re-scanned revising regional TV, only problem now is I'm not getting local channels like weather,news etc. Hopefully you'll come up with the answer. It will keep my wife happy.

Back