Anyone got the Chinese VU+ Solo2

If we all kept on waiting till we had a warm wet feeling we'd all just be forever waiting. I've had a string of clone boxes and they've all had their ups and downs but then again I tend to do a lot of messing around. If you're the sort of person who sets it all up and then never again touches the box then anything will do won't it?

your not wrong..if unlike me who is a serial tinker and flasher then you bang on your image and never update it and its good for the life of the box.
I would have to have it in bits flash every image possible try this try that...ha ha the good old days of staying awake for 3 days trying to sort out a box....

Went ahead and ordered the clone today. Also ordered a 2.5inch laptop hard drive ready for it. I'll update everyone once I get it, moving from DM800se over to Vu so need to do some reading. If anyone has any queries about the clones, where I ordered from PM me as I have a couple of contacts. One cheap one with good communication (£150) and another one that looks to have more support (£188).

so we know it works with Blackhole 2.0.6 which is a pre new driver image has anyone ran Openpli or Vix if so what date/number are the images and are any of the images that run on this box up-datable?
We could do with a sort of list of tested and tried images for this box.

According to Ant500's post (#84 on the thread) the below images also work

black hole 2.0.7 build 23/10/2013
also vix build 748
and open pli 4

Looks like Vix images are the ones to go with then correct?

Looks like Vix images are the ones to go with then correct?

I would say so but i think only images before the 17th dec as that's when VU updated the drivers and they went into vix images.looks like 806 back.??not 100% sure though.

I would say so but i think only images before the 17th dec as that's when VU updated the drivers and they went into vix images.looks like 806 back.??not 100% sure though.

If I flashed my SOlo2 clone with the latest Vix image and it contained the wrong driver and didnt boot / work. Would I simply need to re-flash with a working image to get it working again? OR would the Solo2 clone be potentially bricked?

If I flashed my SOlo2 clone with the latest Vix image and it contained the wrong driver and didnt boot / work. Would I simply need to re-flash with a working image to get it working again? OR would the Solo2 clone be potentially bricked?[

i think only images before the 17th dec as that's when VU updated the drivers and they went into vix images.looks like 806 back.??not 100% sure though.

reflash with 802.If you can not get it to flash the normal way then i fear we have our first victim.

Last edited:
If I flashed my SOlo2 clone with the latest Vix image and it contained the wrong driver and didnt boot / work. Would I simply need to re-flash with a working image to get it working again? OR would the Solo2 clone be potentially bricked?[

i think only images before the 17th dec as that's when VU updated the drivers and they went into vix images.looks like 806 back.??not 100% sure though.

reflash with 802.If you can not get it to flash the normal way then i fear we have our first victim.

Thanks AJT - I haven't tired it yet, I was just asking so I know how to recover it. I'm not familiar with Vu's (used DM800se in the past) but surely you can put into maintenance mode or something? E.g. on DM800se you press and hold power button while booting and that would give you an IP on screen, you would simply enter this IP in your webbrowser and you can upload new firmware. If that doesnt work, you can use 'Dreamup' or something similar to recover.

Isn't there equivalents for the VU's?

Thanks AJT - I haven't tired it yet, I was just asking so I know how to recover it. I'm not familiar with Vu's (used DM800se in the past) but surely you can put into maintenance mode or something? E.g. on DM800se you press and hold power button while booting and that would give you an IP on screen, you would simply enter this IP in your webbrowser and you can upload new firmware. If that doesnt work, you can use 'Dreamup' or something similar to recover.

There is a vu tool a little like DCC and other FTP tools but will be no use if you can not communicate with box aS IT WONT BOOT...I do not know of any way that you can recover a vu solo2 clone except by flashing correct image back.
I have messed up my image loads of times experimenting as i do and recovered frozen boxes and non boot boxes on my vu solo2 and duo2 but always able to just reflash the normal way so hopefully it will be the same for the clones.

There is a vu tool a little like DCC and other FTP tools but will be no use if you can not communicate with box aS IT WONT BOOT...I do not know of any way that you can recover a vu solo2 clone except by flashing correct image back.
I have messed up my image loads of times experimenting as i do and recovered frozen boxes and non boot boxes on my vu solo2 and duo2 but always able to just reflash the normal way so hopefully it will be the same for the clones.

LIKE I SAID BEFORE ONLY IMAGES FROM ANY TEAM FOR THE VU+SOLO2 CLONE MUST BE PRE 17/12/13 PRE NEW DRIVERS

Last edited:
if the new images don't work all you do is reflash a older image using a usb stick you will not brick it

Mentioned this on the other thread just flash an older image if the new ones didn't boot this is just a driver issue you have not bricked anything.

Theres a couple of the vu+solo2 clones on fleabay.someones asking £230 for one with postage..good luck with that i can now get a genuine for £269 all in.

was told they working on a update to flash via com port to again start taking latest images, but till i see it don't believe it

Back