Your OS of choice?

What is your OS of choice?

• Total voters
i guess no one on here likes macs. i thought it would be at least 2nd

i guess no one on here likes macs. i thought it would be at least 2nd

I adore Macs, I just can't afford them and I think they are more specific to certain markets than Windows and certain programs arent as good on Mac.

I would love to own a Mac as a second computer though, but I can't afford it.

Half and half with XP and Linux (openSuse) here.

AmigaOS :)

I'm running XP SPII at the mo'.

Your better waiting for at least 2 service packs to be released before installing a Windows OS.

Anything before that & you're just a beta tester for Billy Gates.

I've tried Vista and was none too impressed with it.
What is absolutely shocking is that Vista (Longhorn) has been developed over 5½ years, and was started prior to the release of XP, and they've still not got it right.

xp on my pc and vista on my laptop but have never used linux exept when lindows came with my machine and i couldnt go on the internet with it lol

PCLinuxOs 2007 & XP with vista theme. tried vista, thought it was too slow altho it did look nice ...

I'm using xpsp2 still.

I've tried vista and vista beta sp1, I just cant get over how much slower it is than XP (and my machines not exactly a slouch) But my main bugbear with Vista is that I just cant get it to play full 1080p H.264 files properly. I cant get the AVC core codec to register right to allow it fully!

Otherwise I'd be using vista ultimate on my HTPC, still XP on my music studio one though!

I have tried liniux but the few distros that I've tried dont want to work (or at least display on my setups!).

Well, linux is actually pretty good. The only reason I chose XP is because I couldn't get my net set up on it.

Linux (Gentoo) 99% of the time. Dual boot XP for games. Why use Linux? It's fast, looks great (better than vista with far lower specs), free, secure and completely devoid of spyware / virus / adware. Coupled with the immense customizability makes it the clear winner for me. I won't pretend it's perfect for everybody, but imho it's easily the best. Now if only they'd port more games :)

Last edited:
I choose to run windows xp pro because its much more leight weight and runs better on my system than vista, when i upgrade my CPU i will maybe take the plunge to vista or maybe even go back to ubuntu :)

Until Vista, it was always the current version of windows. Now it is Linux.

I was lucky enough to work in IT for over 20 years. I had to acquire a working understanding of every OS since the 80's (except mac OS) Dos, windows 1-5, OS/2 as well as a rudimentary understanding of Linux.

Do I now want to "learn" Vista ?
Do I want to go through my on-line life using yet another incomplete, shakey microsoft offering ? Do I want to be constantly subjected to daily risk and a requirement to patch up my systems on an almost daily basis ?

Given that all of us are now facing a choice - Vista or hang onto XP for a few more years, why not switch to Linux and go up that particular learning curve instead ?

Various indications in the OS world suggest that MS are starting to lose their leadership and their position in the OS world.

I predict that we will start to see FREEBIE versions of windows soon, perhaps the home versions of windows or a cut-down version of windows.

My current approach is to load XP if the machine has a COA sticker and then also dual-boot with Ubuntu. If the machine needs an OS to be purchased then it only gets Ubuntu. I've made a personal committment to myself to spend not a penny more on anything microsoft - ever.

I'll be happy if I never even see a Vista machine.

I'll add that I buy my machines used, as a 1 year old DELL machine of almost any spec will provide just about anything that current machines off (except certain esoteric and rare functions).

...OS X.... because its stable.... pure and based on darwin .... and have commercial support better then microshi#...
unforutnately for use OS X on standard PC, prepatched version is needed...... :)

...OS X.... because its stable.... pure and based on darwin .... and have commercial support better then microshi#...
unforutnately for use OS X on standard PC, prepatched version is needed...... :)

The nightmares that used to cause us with drivers/software etc when it came out was beyond belief.

Most people had to revert back to OS9 so that they could use their printers, scanners etc. None of the ISP install discs worked with OSX.

Our service desk had to support people who had just bought brand new, state of the art machines.
None of us had a slightest clue what was involved with Mac's, we could point them out in an ID parade, but that was about it.

We had one beat up Mac in the office for testing/training, but with about 10 of us battling to use it, the situation quickly became laughable (not for the user though).

I haven't touched Mac's since :)

i have tried all the os above and find that even though i hate the microsoft own it all policy xp is good.low on resources easy hardware support everything is compatible with it and even though every couple of months you need to fresh install,it is still worth it.

I just boot into whichever OS I need at that particular time. Think i've got about 5 or 6 set up via a bootmenu and loads of variations running in virtual machines.

No real favourite. I just use whatever is best for the current job.

Everytime I try Linux, I just can't see a blatent advantage that it gives, all I see is a huge learning curve.

Which distro it comes down to, you are eventually going to have to use the command line.

I gave up on Ubunutu when I couldn't play MP3s and couldn't find the solution (though I am sure there is one), and when I had to install software from the command line, that's when I gave up.

Though Gusty Gibbon is impressive.

Back