Yamaha DSP-AX761 HDMI AV Amplifier £199 RicherSounds!! (5.1 HD audio from PS3 etc)

sideysid

Inactive User
Reaction score
Thought I'd post it on here as well as the hotukdeals site as its a bit of a billy bargain if your looking for a budget all singing and dancing AV Receiver.

RicherSounds are currently offering the Yamaha DSP-AX761 at £199 via their VIP club promotion until April 2nd.

This is a decent specced budget amp for those wish to make use of 5.1 HD audio via HD-DVD/Bluray from the PS3 etc, as it handles LPCM over the HDMI.

Heres the blurb:

Dolby Digital EX & Pro Logic IIx
DTS 96/24, DTS-ES Discrete and DTS Neo:6 Processing
HDMI switching
1080p passthrough
Video upconversion to component
7 Channel High Power Amplifier Configuration
Wide Frequency Range For DVD-Audio & SACD
Pure Direct Mode
4 "SCENE" buttons for easy operation
4 Optical, 2 Coaxial inputs with 1 optical output
Front AV input with optical input
Audio delay (for lip sync) adjustment
17 DSP programmes
192 kHz / 24 bit high resolution DACs for all channels
5.1 Channel External Decoder Input
Selectable 9 band subwoofer crossover
Main L/R, Centre, Rear Centre L/R, Rear L/R Pre Outs
Assignable amplifiers for bi-amp connection
4mm Banana Plug Sockets
On Screen Display
Preset and learning remote control
Switchable outputs for "Front Presence" speakers
New YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer) Automatically configures the system using a microphone placed in the sound field (microphone included)
Connection for YDS-10 iPod dock

I need something to tide me over until Sept/Oct. I was thinking of a SH Onkyo 505 as they can be picked up for around £200 as well and come recommended.

I cant be asked to read up on AV receivers as its just a short term replacement.

Anyone know which one I should go for?

Have you got a PS3, any bluray/HD-DVD sources? If so go for the Yamaha so you can make use of the next gen HD audio, its a steal at this price (£499 at Comets)

Yep mate I got the PS3 and the others LOL. I'm off to demo this down Totenham Ct RD. If it sounds any good I'll grab one.

Thanks

I couldn't find and Yammys to demo so I passed on it.

I have since figured out that I only need 5.1 at best since 70% of my content is downloaded and that material does not contain the TruD soundtracks but only 5.1.

I dont buy BluRay as it is far too expensive IMO. I still buy DVDs (but only if they are £5 or under) and they only contain 5.1 soundtracks.

I've never had a 5.1 setup so I guess I'll be happy with it when I have it setup. I'll used the money saved on an anamorphic lens for my PJ :)

LOL Curly I only want to spend 50 notes being the tight git that I am.

Anyone got any spare change....

I'm going to go down the SH route for my AV setup and new for my HiFi.

Thought I'd post it on here as well as the hotukdeals site as its a bit of a billy bargain if your looking for a budget all singing and dancing AV Receiver.

RicherSounds are currently offering the Yamaha DSP-AX761 at £199 via their VIP club promotion until April 2nd.

This is a decent specced budget amp for those wish to make use of 5.1 HD audio via HD-DVD/Bluray from the PS3 etc, as it handles LPCM over the HDMI.

Heres the blurb:

Dolby Digital EX & Pro Logic IIx
DTS 96/24, DTS-ES Discrete and DTS Neo:6 Processing
HDMI switching
1080p passthrough
Video upconversion to component
7 Channel High Power Amplifier Configuration
Wide Frequency Range For DVD-Audio & SACD
Pure Direct Mode
4 "SCENE" buttons for easy operation
4 Optical, 2 Coaxial inputs with 1 optical output
Front AV input with optical input
Audio delay (for lip sync) adjustment
17 DSP programmes
192 kHz / 24 bit high resolution DACs for all channels
5.1 Channel External Decoder Input
Selectable 9 band subwoofer crossover
Main L/R, Centre, Rear Centre L/R, Rear L/R Pre Outs
Assignable amplifiers for bi-amp connection
4mm Banana Plug Sockets
On Screen Display
Preset and learning remote control
Switchable outputs for "Front Presence" speakers
New YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer) Automatically configures the system using a microphone placed in the sound field (microphone included)
Connection for YDS-10 iPod dock

Will I need to buy speakers to go with this to get the best out of it or can i just use my existing ones? they're pioneer satellite speakers bought from malaysia in 2002.

Will I need to buy speakers to go with this to get the best out of it or can i just use my existing ones? they're pioneer satellite speakers bought from malaysia in 2002.

Which Pioneers are they? If they are the home-cinema-in-a-box kind, then yes you would benefit from getting some new speakers. Bear in mind that this amp is 90w per channel, so would most likely blow lower watt speakers if used at loud volumes for a sustained amount of time.

Can someone please help me understand what this does? I think this is just the thing i am looking for?

Will this:

1) Allow me to select 1 source on the TV for all devices?

2) Should I not be using scart leads anymore? as I cannot see any inputs for these on the device?

3) Easily select which device is to output sound?

many thanks.

Ok a clear brief overview of what an AV Receiver does quoted from comets site (of all places):

These key components of a home theatre system are primarily designed to amplify sound from multiple audio sources, like a DVD player or Sky receiver. But they can also work as video switching devices, routing video signals through to your TV from a variety of different sources. The advantages of this routing approach are that when you choose, say, the DVD input on your AV receiver, the correct picture and sound immediately appear together on your screen. If you don't connect your video through your AV receiver, you'll have to first choose the right video input on your TV for pictures, and then choose the right audio input on the AV receiver for sound.

1) Allow me to select 1 source on the TV for all devices?

Yes - linking video and audio outputs to an AV Receiver can be set up so the source switches automatically.
This will upconvert all analogue sources to component video. HDMI would stay as HDMI.
If you wanted an amp that converts everything to HDMI look at the Onkyo 605.

2) Should I not be using scart leads anymore? as I cannot see any inputs for these on the device?

Scart has rarely been used on AV Receivers (as its a euro invention) so you ideally top of the connection list you would use HDMI (audio and video) then next best would be component (for video) and optical/coaxial (for digital audio), then going down to S-video (video) or composite (video) and RCA phonos (audio).

3) Easily select which device is to output sound?

Yes - once all the inputs have been assigned, it will just be a matter of pressing 'DVD' 'TV' etc etc and the amp will switch to the correct source.

Brilliant - Thanks mate.

Well, My TV is HD and I'd like everything to route to the HDMI port so i can leave the source alone on the TV no matter which device I am suing.

Thanks again for explaining.

This will upconvert all analogue sources to component video. HDMI would stay as HDMI.
If you wanted an amp that converts everything to HDMI look at the Onkyo 605.

So this amp will NOT convert my component dvd player + coaxial digital sound to HDMI?

How can I tell if an amp / receiver will?

What are the names of these items? Amps? Receivers? A/V Receivers?

Which Pioneers are they? If they are the home-cinema-in-a-box kind, then yes you would benefit from getting some new speakers. Bear in mind that this amp is 90w per channel, so would most likely blow lower watt speakers if used at loud volumes for a sustained amount of time.

its the Pioneer XV-HTD1

thanks for letting me know - will go and check

So this amp will NOT convert my component dvd player + coaxial digital sound to HDMI?

How can I tell if an amp / receiver will?

What are the names of these items? Amps? Receivers? A/V Receivers?

Correct - you would need a component out cable and it will upconvert all analogue signals to that.

If you want an amp that converts all signals to come out of the single HDMI out, look for the keyword upconversion to HDMI in the specs.
This is different from upscaling HDMI on the more expensive amps, that take the signals and process the video signal resolution to 720p/1080p for your HD panel.
Whether your chosen amp does a better job of this than your source upscaling (DVD/Sky HD/V+ etc set @720p/1080p), or your HD panel's ability to upscale to its own resolution however is for you to decide.

They are known as AV(audio/visual) Receivers, which is a combination of an amp/processor/video switcher etc.

again, many thanks for taking the time to explain. All this is new to me and I hope to be putting together a package for cable / dvd / xbox / ps3 etc once I move house.

Can you recommend anything? I think i am going to need some new surround speakers too, as the set I currently have acts as a sound switcher (Optical Audio / Coaxial Audio)

I wouldn't want to spend too much, but at the same time I don't want too cheap and nasty.

again, many thanks for taking the time to explain. All this is new to me and I hope to be putting together a package for cable / dvd / xbox / ps3 etc once I move house.

Can you recommend anything? I think i am going to need some new surround speakers too, as the set I currently have acts as a sound switcher (Optical Audio / Coaxial Audio)

I wouldn't want to spend too much, but at the same time I don't want too cheap and nasty.

Firstly forget all-in-one solutions, as they are generally outperformed by even the entry level range of AV separates. Also it will be some time (if ever) before these decode HD audio (Bluray/HD-DVD), and as you have a PS3 it would be silly not make use of them.
Any HDMI inputs you see on these (or cheaper AV receivers) will be switchers only, and wont extract the audio, the cheapest amps to actually do this are the following:

This Yamaha receiver will output HD audio (when decoded via LPCM from the PS3) but will not upconvert all sources to HDMI, but can be had for £199 (although the deal may of expired now)

Currently the next cheapest AV-Receiver (£280 approx) on the market to meet your requirements would be the Denon AVR-1908.
This will upconvert all your sources to HDMI, while still being able to output HD audio (when decoded via LPCM from the PS3)

Then the next rung up would be the Onkyo TX-SR605 which actually decodes all the HD audio codecs itself so the PS3 can leave it to the amp to handle (although the PS3 cant do this yet, but there is a planned firmware update).
It also upconverts all sources to HDMI, as well as upscaling them to 720p if required. Although it can be had for around £350 now, wait for a price drop as the TX-SR606 is just round the corner.

Also the Sony STR-DG920 is planned soon that would fill all these requirements too and might be more in your budget.

Speaker-wise, that depends on what your thinking of (or allowed by the missus). Would you be after floor standers as fronts? Bookshelfs all round? 5/6/7.1?
If budget is above all else though, you'll be hard pressed to beat the Tannoy EFX5.1 thats available here for £149 delivered at the mo.

Back