xp backup

rawsy

DW F1 Champ 2010, 14, 19, 20 and 22
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi guys i have just created a backup of my c drive after a reinstall, useing the backup program in winsdows xp. my question is, if i save my backup to another hdd. can i reinstate this backup by booting from say hyrens boot cd or something similar?? the only reason i ask is i dont want to have to install windows to reinstate my backup if the need arises.

help please

As far as I am aware the backup utility only copies certain files and folders, so I think you would need to install XP first and then restore your backup

You are best off using a proper imaging program to take a complete copy of your hard drive

There's a free utility called DriveImageXML that would do the job nicely

This would allow you to restore your whole machine should you have a problem

DriveImageXML does shadow copying so you can take an image on your Operating System whilst logged into it

thanks. so if the time came i could reinstate the image by booting the program and not an os?

thanks. so if the time came i could reinstate the image by booting the program and not an os?

If you've already got a Hirens disk you may aswell use Acronis True Image, or Norton Ghost that might already be on that disk., instead of DriveImageXML.

But yes, you could stick your image on an external drive and boot from the Hirens disk with the external plugged in and restore your system hard drive

I would say using one of the programs on Hirens Boot Disk would be your best option. I use Norton Ghost and it has never let me down.

There are others on there as well.

cheers guys i just didnt want to have to reinstall an os just to have to reinstate an image.

Back