xk3y - any good?

Quite interested in this thread myself. So what does the screen allow you to do or not do?
I thought you need the screen to flick to your ISO's and be able to pick them? Especially if you don't get the dongle.

you can use the screen to selct games or u can use xbox picture viwer or a dvd menu to pick a game, i personally only use the screen when there is a new x3key firmware update as it tells u when its updating & when its completed so u need to restart the console

It's in and working.

3dfury.co.uk were spot on. Ordered at 11am and it was there for 9am the next day. The £60 without screen was a one off, he happened to have one with an intermittent fault with the screen, which he gave me anyway. I didn't bother trying it, it's just not needed. It's also nowhere near as nice looking as the xk3y site images either, cheapo plastic.

Plenty of room in the xbox (fat), physical install was very easy.

The PDF guide is good. The process varies a little by drive. For my liteon it was a case of saving the key into an original firmware with JF and dropping it on the included micro sd card. This part cost me hours. I was using an mp3 player as a card reader, it kept creating a music folder everytime I put the card in, once I borrowed a phone to use it worked straight off (my phone usb port is knackered). Took me a long time to realise. Future updates can be done from a usb stick, no need to open it up again.

So now I've got a powered Iomega 500GB drive plugged in the back. Everything I've tried has run so far, Black Ops 2, Dishonored, NFS Most Wanted. I can't say I'm seeing any speed difference, perhaps it wouldn't be good with MS if they let it read faster. It is a little off putting at first though when a game is loading, without the thing sounding like it is going to take off you don't know what it is doing. It's a good thing, it's just weird. No more spinning up for loading. I was considering taking the drive out altogether, but I don't think I can be bothered. Especially after the 4 hours I've just spent wrestling with a mates hitachi 59 drive. Enough opening xboxes for now.

I can't say a bad thing about it, well pleased.

good work and thanks for posting back with your findings mate.

As for the machine, yeah when there isn't any drive in then they are a little weird not hearing that noise of the discs spinning and stuff (talking jtag here)

If your online with that machine I don't think you can take the drive out mate as when you'd boot then the machine would error on you, think it's just the jtags that you can do this with, oh and I remember years ago that they said that if you connected to live with no drive then they'd new that the machine had been booted with out one, old wifes tale and all that maybe?

So yeah, you going online with this then?

There's a thread on another forum where quite a few people say they run it without the drive. I don't know if that would be a quick route to getting banned. I know of the no drive live ban stories but doubt there was much in it. I do go online but don't play often. I try not to encourage a ban, but I don't really care. No point in not going online in case it gets banned.

Now I think about it there isn't much point in taking it out. It was silent connected to the PC and as it has no disc in it and isn't doing anything, it must be the fans in the xbox itself making all the noise.

Thanks for the heads up I like to see what's out there :)

So what do you do when an update comes out then mate? I'll have to have a look through the thread again bud, think you just disable it or something for any updates?

Cheers

Thanks for the heads up I like to see what's out there :)

So what do you do when an update comes out then mate? I'll have to have a look through the thread again bud, think you just disable it or something for any updates?

Cheers

you just pop the update on the hard drive with ur games ( or another usb stick ) & it auto finds the update & works its magic

congrats herbs glad u like ur xkey welcome to the diskless wolrd :Biggrin2:

Thanks very much for letting us all know what it's like mate, appreciated. :)

Discless is the way.
If anyone buys and receives one cheaper please let us know. I'd like to get my brother one for Christmas.

it reminds me of the time that mp3 players come out, "what get rid of the disks my mate said, pttt...you got be joking"....... :)

it reminds me of the time that mp3 players come out, "what get rid of the disks my mate said, pttt...you got be joking"....... :)

:)

Just tried a mates WD Passport USB3 drive. It didn't seem to pick it up. Something to be aware of... They have a confirmed working drives thread on the forum somewhere.

Back